Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Single Malt Scotch
mithrilG60 11:29 AM 05-01-2010
Originally Posted by Eleven:
(MithrilG60, SWEET Ikea whiskey cabinet! I have a shelf like that, never thought to use it for my booze!)
I searched for a whisky cabinet for a very long time before happpening across that Lack bookcase at IKEA. The problem with most bookcases/wallunits/etc was always their shelf height. I've got a couple bottles, like my Glen Garioch 21yr that came in presentation boxes instead of regular tubes and the Lack bookcase was would fit them. The fact that it looks ok too was a nice by-product :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:36 PM 05-01-2010
EDIT! - Brutus2600, Glenmorangie is one of my favs too, if you like that, Aberlour isn't too far off in taste profile, even a little smoother I think, those are my 2 go-to's now!
I'll have to see if my local store has some Aberlour...I'd definitely be interested in trying it.

And all this talk got me wanting to drink some scotch! So I broke out some Glenmorangie and an Opus X I've been waiting to smoke for awhile. So far pretty tasty! :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:05 AM 05-16-2010
Not sure I would call this a bargain Scotch, but I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova. Wow is a good intro. Very complex and sweet with an orange and sea taste with a finish that keeps going and going!

Highly recommended, but might not be to everyone's taste.

[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:52 PM 05-16-2010
Moses, what's the msrp on that scotch? Also, was it aged in sherry barrels?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:13 PM 05-16-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Moses, what's the msrp on that scotch? Also, was it aged in sherry barrels?
I got it for a song, but I think MSRP if you can find is around $150? In UK it is going for almost double that I heard.

As for barrels? I don't know, but it claims to be the peatiest Scotch ever created.
[Reply]
Evonnida 01:13 AM 06-04-2010
I myself am a fan of Oban... I've yet to try the Ardberg or Laphroig, but both should be happening soon. On a side note, does anyone decant their scotch?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:50 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Evonnida:
On a side note, does anyone decant their scotch?
I would if there were a few drinking the same bottle and I thought we'd kill what I decant, but that hasn't happened yet.

Decanting would be a good idea in the right situation and is commonly done.
[Reply]
cobra03 08:09 AM 06-04-2010
Im working on a bottle of Aberlour 12, which is fantastic and not to terribly expensive, but my everyday scotch is McClellands highland. At $23 a bottle its hard to beat. imo
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:12 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Evonnida:
On a side note, does anyone decant their scotch?
I'm not really sure when this would be an advantage as the point of decanting is to either aerate the decanted or separate out sediment (or both). Sediment should never be a problem with whisky and aeration will pre-maturely age the whisky by loosing much the aromatics and with it the whisky's character. That's the same reason you don't want to let a bottle sit for a long time at 50% or less volume.

Decanting might be an advantage if you were hosting a large tasting or event where you could reasonable expect the entire bottle to be consumed over the period of a few days but I probably wouldn't do it otherwise. Whisky also naturally self-decants when you use a proper tulip or thistle shaped glass, and that glass also allows you to nose the aromatics which are just as good (and IMHO often better) as the tasting of the actual liquid :-)
[Reply]
Slow4v 03:07 PM 07-08-2010
Macallan 17yr Old
[Reply]
hotreds 06:56 PM 08-10-2010
Highland Park 25
[Reply]
GolfNut 08:25 PM 08-10-2010
Lagavulin is our favorite here. We wait until we can afford another bottle and switch to something else when we run out......like now. $80/bottle here.
[Reply]
scoot 09:33 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I am having what I would say is the BEST Single Malt I have ever had. Its the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve. The bottle was a gift from a friend.

This stuff is seriously good. I was able to sample some at the Whisky Guild's Whisky Classic and chat with the guy there from Glenfiddich about it. Its the standard Glenfiddich 12 but they finnish it in Islay Scotch barrels. A damn shame they don't distribute it in the states.
[Reply]
Tripp 09:35 PM 08-17-2010
On my honeymoon in the Caribbean last month I picked up a 1L bottle of Laphroaig 10 for a song. :-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:05 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky:
Also, I'd recommend the Balvenie 12 DoubleWood:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31096
Jim poured me a glass when I visited his place and it was good.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:44 AM 08-18-2010
Recently tried some Rosebank 1991 Gordon MacPhail Cask Strength. Outstanding.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:02 PM 08-18-2010
I've not had too many scotches but I like Macallan 12 and glenlivet 12 for a cheaper scotch. But Macallan 12 is my go to bar scotch if they have it.
[Reply]
JDTexan 12:26 PM 08-18-2010
Glenmorangie is one of my favs too, if you like that, Aberlour isn't too far off in taste profile, even a little smoother I think, those are my 2 go-to's now!
I have been drinking these this summer for about $35 a bottle and loving every dram.
[Reply]
CBI_2 08:30 PM 08-22-2010
I am still learning about single malts but the best I have had was Glenlivet 18Yr. that my neighbor gave me.

Since I now work at a liquor store, that has some of the best prices anywhere, I just got a bottle of Glen Moray 12Yr. old for $19.99 that I think is very good.

BTW. The store I work at has Glenlivet 21Yr. for $99.99 right now.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 06:23 PM 08-30-2010
Picked up a bottle of this on a whim. Haven't tried it yet (maybe tonight!).

The Singleton of Glendullan

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/10/0...dullan-scotch/

Anybody try this one?

:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up