Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Any info on this PORT?
ahc4353 07:10 AM 10-23-2008
A guy handed my a bottle last night at the hockey game and said, "from an x cigar smoker to a current cigar smoker I think you will like this".

When I got home I opened the package to see a bottle of 1977 Warre's Port.

I love port, don't know anything more about it than, I love port.:-)

Any port wizards in the house?
[Reply]
Volt 07:54 AM 10-23-2008
Yep as a Sailor type - any port in a storm will do.
[Reply]
Scottw 07:57 AM 10-23-2008
Does it say anything else? Ruby Port? Tawny Port? Late Bottled Vintage (LBV). A useful link I find for looking up wines is www.vinfolio.com if you want to check it out. I have no affiliation or financial interest in this site, just sharing the info.
[Reply]
loki 08:07 AM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Volt:
Yep as a Sailor type - any port in a storm will do.
i think i've said this cruising the bar a 1:50 am
[Reply]
ahc4353 08:07 AM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Does it say anything else? Ruby Port? Tawny Port? Late Bottled Vintage (LBV). A useful link I find for looking up wines is www.vinfolio.com if you want to check it out. I have no affiliation or financial interest in this site, just sharing the info.

I think is says Vintage.

I will look when I get home.

Thanks for the link.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:37 AM 10-23-2008
Where's mosesbotbol when you need him? :-)

That's a vintage bottle of port, probably close to $80 bottle. Out of my price range but ought to be very good!
[Reply]
Langod 11:13 AM 10-23-2008
Yep - Warre's is good stuff. A 1977 vintage should be delicious.

I found a review by Robert Parker (Wine Spectator) that gave it a 92 of 100.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 11:16 AM 10-23-2008
If it has a date, then it's Vintage. Great pickup - whoever said that it could be had for $80 please buy me a bottle! This typically goes for $150+.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:25 AM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Where's mosesbotbol when you need him? :-)

That's a vintage bottle of port, probably close to $80 bottle. Out of my price range but ought to be very good!
Right here!

Warre '77 is an excellent port! Once of the better of ports of an excellent vintage. Quite elegant, with subtle fruit. Not always easy to find in US market.

You have some good friends if they are giving you such fine bottles.

Warre is one brand that is virtual slam dunk every vintage.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:27 AM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:

It is a vintage port, the same "style" of port like ruby. I should say the ruby is entry style of vintage...
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 11:43 AM 10-23-2008
It's um... toxic and dangerous, I think you should give it to me for proper disposal.....

That is an great bottle you'll enjoy it, I've never had Warre's of that year only Grahams.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:50 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper:
It's um... toxic and dangerous, I think you should give it to me for proper disposal.....

That is an great bottle you'll enjoy it, I've never had Warre's of that year only Grahams.
The Warre is better than Grahams in 77...
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 01:10 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
The Warre is better than Grahams in 77...
oooooh!

Thanks for the heads up. The Warre will go on my letter to Santa this year then.:-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 01:18 PM 10-23-2008
Thanks guys! Sounds like I want to pick a very special Flavored White Owl for this bad boy!
[Reply]
ucla695 01:20 PM 10-23-2008
That's an incredible gift! :-)

I've been getting more and more into port lately and look forward to getting my hands on a reasonably priced vintage.

Enjoy!
[Reply]
mugwump 05:12 PM 10-23-2008
Sounds like a real nice gift! The closest cigar B&M to me is more of a wine shop and they specialize in port. I always end up spending way too much when I visit and it's not the cigars that are killing me.
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:41 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I think is says Vintage.

I will look when I get home.

Thanks for the link.

The label reads like this:

Vintage Porto

Thanks guys for the info. I can't wait to have a cigar with a glass of this.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:25 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I've been getting more and more into port lately and look forward to getting my hands on a reasonably priced vintage.
1980 Vintages are a good value right now. Kind of an overlooked vintage with '83 and '85 being "bigger" years. The value is in 1980. Grahams, Taylor and Ferreira all made nice good vintage that year, for 35% less cost than their other 80's declarations.

If you want to spend some more money, 1967 is a big time sleeper; buy whatever you can from that vintage. 1963 is more popular and 1967 is well under the radar for most.
[Reply]
massphatness 05:30 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
A guy handed my a bottle last night at the hockey game and said, "from an x cigar smoker to a current cigar smoker I think you will like this".

When I got home I opened the package to see a bottle of 1977 Warre's Port.

I love port, don't know anything more about it than, I love port.:-)

Any port wizards in the house?
Some likes you? Go figure ... :-)
[Reply]
Up