Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 54
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Discussion>New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart
Nick 06:22 PM 01-30-2009
I have never had to rehydrate tobacco but I have heard some methods.

One was to put an apple wedge or two in a bag with the tobacco. Or put the tobacco in a bowl and lay a wet towel over it until it is at the moisture level you want. Others can probably expand on this for me.
[Reply]
TheJ 06:32 PM 01-30-2009
My method is just to exhale a few times on top of the tobacco. The steam from my breath usually does the trick.
[Reply]
dogsplayinpoker 07:06 PM 01-30-2009
Originally Posted by Nick:
Or put the tobacco in a bowl and lay a wet towel over it until it is at the moisture level you want. Others can probably expand on this for me.
This is what I have done with decent results.
[Reply]
Nick 07:20 PM 01-30-2009
Just remember to stir the tobacco up every few hours to facilitate better results. If part of the tobacco seems much more moist than others, you can put it back in the tin and in a couple days it will round itself out. I have put very dry tobacco in a tin of tobacco that is more moist and 2 days later it's all the same.
[Reply]
BigFrank 11:36 AM 02-03-2009
With sealing tobacco in mason/ball type jars, how effective would just screwing the lid down tight be?
[Reply]
Curly Cut 12:21 PM 02-03-2009
i've had zero issues with doing that (still had to pry off the lid as well). i just cracked open a jar for the first time in 8 months or so, and it was still at a great humidity and smelled super strong...
woops had some out of the jar, it was SG FVF.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 01:03 PM 02-03-2009
I have good re-humidifying results by spreading tobak on paper and issuing a light misting with distilled water from a sprayer (same one I use to keep my winecoolerdor humidified). I let it sit for a few minutes, jumble it and give it the "finger squish" analysis (respray if needed) and then lock it down in a Mason jar. No problems with drying out in a sealed, gasketed jar.

Gotta say that the moisture buttons get great reviews from them what use 'em.
[Reply]
woops 01:05 PM 02-03-2009
erratum had some with me and commented that the tobacco may still have been a tad moist, as we both had small issues keeping it lit. Since it had been in there for 8 months without a vacuum seal, I'd say it kept very well. I'm still looking for these, in my area.
[Reply]
Curly Cut 01:08 PM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by woops:
erratum had some with me and commented that the tobacco may still have been a tad moist, as we both had small issues keeping it lit. Since it had been in there for 8 months without a vacuum seal, I'd say it kept very well. I'm still looking for these, in my area.
that was just the last time i had opened it, was 8 months ago. it's actually a couple years old, or older.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 02:24 PM 02-03-2009
Can baccy become to moist and grow mold?
I used a wet paper towel across the top of jar. It wouls but now a month later the baccy is turning white.
[Reply]
Slow Triathlete 03:00 PM 02-03-2009
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
Can baccy become to moist and grow mold?
I used a wet paper towel across the top of jar. It wouls but now a month later the baccy is turning white.
Yes it can get moldy. But the white that you are seeing may be sugar crystals. If it is fuzzy then it is mold, if it looks more like sugar crystals then this is part of the aging process and is good.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 03:41 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete:
Yes it can get moldy. But the white that you are seeing may be sugar crystals. If it is fuzzy then it is mold, if it looks more like sugar crystals then this is part of the aging process and is good.
Just like plume on a cigar I guess.
[Reply]
Coz77 11:42 AM 02-05-2009
I know its OK to put a pipe down and come back to it hours later with no ill effect.... but how about days?
[Reply]
Curly Cut 11:45 AM 02-05-2009
i've done it. didn't really improve the taste like a standard DGT would, was kinda stale and ashy.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 12:34 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
I know its OK to put a pipe down and come back to it hours later with no ill effect.... but how about days?

You can live on it but it tastes like chit.

- Mick Dundee
[Reply]
Nick 02:14 PM 02-05-2009
It'll smoke but can't imagine how it will taste.
[Reply]
Root 08:59 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Coz77:
I will say it depends. Some tobacco can hold, many can not.

The best i have found for the many day DGT would be Stonehaven. I found after 5 days it tasted better than fresh. Though that's just me.
[Reply]
Coz77 06:25 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by Curly Cut:
i've done it. didn't really improve the taste like a standard DGT would, was kinda stale and ashy.
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:

You can live on it but it tastes like chit.

- Mick Dundee
Originally Posted by Nick:
It'll smoke but can't imagine how it will taste.
Originally Posted by Root:
I will say it depends. Some tobacco can hold, many can not.

The best i have found for the many day DGT would be Stonehaven. I found after 5 days it tasted better than fresh. Though that's just me.
Thanks for the replies guys...I dumped it and filled my bowl with some fresh Trout Stream. :-)
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 06:09 PM 02-11-2009
quick question guys.

i have a mac barren pipe, with some pipe cleaners that came wiht it.

seems the pipe cleaners are a little big and i have a really hard time getting them in to clean it properly.

just using the wrong size pipe cleaner or am i doing something stupid?
[Reply]
Nick 06:16 PM 02-11-2009
If using a pipe cleaner with stem out:
It could be that the cleaners are a little too fluffy or that the pipes needs to be "opened up" a little. I usually use a 5/32 drill bit to accomplish this right down into the shank and draft hole, just be careful.

If using a pipe cleaner with stem in:
Is the pipe bent or straight because it could also be that the construction of the pipe makes passing a cleaner tough in which case you have to get creative in your methods.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 54
« First < 678 91018 > Last »
Up