Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Finish
RevSmoke 10:36 PM 04-13-2021
Well, I have been reading some different reviews online and the use of the word "finish" has cropped up a couple times. It made me wonder.

I enjoy wine, beer, and other beverages - both with alcohol and sans.
I enjoy cigars and the occasional pipe.

In the past, when the word "finish" was used, it was a descriptor of the flavors lingering on the palate after a taste/puff was swallowed/inhaled/expelled - maybe considered the aftertaste.

Lately I have seen "finish" used to describe the last part of the cigar. I could describe the finish on puffs in all "thirds" of the cigar as that finish might develop and/or evolve as the smoke continued.

Is this use of "finish" to describe the last couple inches of a cigar a new thing? Or is this the use from those who do not know the historic use of finish?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
markem 10:51 PM 04-13-2021
Excellent point! Now that you mention it, I have seen this as well. I don't really know when it started. When aftertaste during the smoke equated to finish. It could be that people are describing the "finish of the puff" much like people describe the "finish of a taste of whisk(e)y". I have no issue with the use of the term that way, but admit that it does seem a bit odd to me to describe finish of a puff.

Something for me to ponder. You've expanded my horizons a bit and I am grateful for that.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:58 AM 04-14-2021
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Well, I have been reading some different reviews online and the use of the word "finish" has cropped up a couple times. It made me wonder.

I enjoy wine, beer, and other beverages - both with alcohol and sans.
I enjoy cigars and the occasional pipe.

In the past, when the word "finish" was used, it was a descriptor of the flavors lingering on the palate after a taste/puff was swallowed/inhaled/expelled - maybe considered the aftertaste.

This is what "finish" has meant/means to me.

Lately I have seen "finish" used to describe the last part of the cigar. I could describe the finish on puffs in all "thirds" of the cigar as that finish might develop and/or evolve as the smoke continued.

Is this use of "finish" to describe the last couple inches of a cigar a new thing? Or is this the use from those who do not know the historic use of finish?

I've heard this too, and don't equate what they're describing as "finish". Like you imply, it's just the final or 3rd 3rd to me.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
My thoughts in red, Todd.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 03:44 PM 02-20-2022
Revisiting tis thread...

Finish is aftertaste after a puff...or after a sip of wine...it is the lingering aftertaste on the palate.

Finish IS NOT... THE LAST 3RD OF A CIGAR...
[Reply]
bruceolee 04:17 PM 02-20-2022
in my reviews i use it as both. perhaps i'll adjust it to "finishing" or "final thoughts" to better clarify my meaning but i've just always used both to mean two different things. God bless you all!
[Reply]
Up