Blueface 07:12 AM 01-23-2009
Scary.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...t-Shop-in-2009
[Reply]
Tombstone 07:15 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Scary.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...t-Shop-in-2009
It is the market correcting itself. And it is about time...prices have become far to inflated.
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:21 AM 01-23-2009
Starbucks was the only one there that I feel won't shut down.

The others I don't even shop at.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:34 AM 01-23-2009
Was just reading another article that Progressive just lost $123 Million in December alone. Not the quarter, just December.
[Reply]
kgoings 07:37 AM 01-23-2009
Wow the mall near me would be about half empty.
[Reply]
zonedar 08:36 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Starbucks was the only one there that I feel won't shut down.

The others I don't even shop at.
Starbucks wont shut down. They'll just shut a quarter of the stores. So in 2010, to get to the next one you'll have to go to the one kitty-corner to the one your at rather than to the one that was across the street.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:41 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:
It is the market correcting itself. And it is about time...prices have become far to inflated.
:-)

Not only that, but perhaps this will help shift our focus from being a nation of consumers to a nation of producers--producers of things that people actually want to buy, and at prices they can afford. Who really needs a $300 pair of sunglasses or an $850 purse or a $4 cup of freaking coffee? It might fit someone's desires or lifestyle, but not if that someone is only making $25k/year.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:47 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by zonedar:
Starbucks wont shut down. They'll just shut a quarter of the stores. So in 2010, to get to the next one you'll have to go to the one kitty-corner to the one your at rather than to the one that was across the street.

Sad, but true.
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:20 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:

Not only that, but perhaps this will help shift our focus from being a nation of consumers to a nation of producers--producers of things that people actually want to buy, and at prices they can afford. Who really needs a $300 pair of sunglasses or an $850 purse or a $4 cup of freaking coffee? It might fit someone's desires or lifestyle, but not if that someone is only making $25k/year.
We have way too many people wanting to act like celebrities while they are only making 30k a year. Be responsible with your money.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 09:21 AM 01-23-2009
FTW
[Reply]
Blueface 09:23 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
FTW
Haven't had coffee today yet Perry?:-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 09:24 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Haven't had coffee today yet Perry?:-)
actually no, but I am readjusting my view on things.
[Reply]
dschmidt20 09:37 AM 01-23-2009
Definitely a lot of people in NY especially with champagne taste on a malt liquor budget. I used to be one of them. Well, I guess I still am to some degree although I have paid closer attention to the way in which I spend. I think the trend is consistently save, track your expenses, and be a comparative shopper. Living within your means is something I think everyone will benefit from.
[Reply]
white_s2k 09:57 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by Tombstone:

We have way too many people wanting to act like celebrities while they are only making 30k a year. Be responsible with your money.
$30k millionaires
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:08 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by white_s2k:
$30k millionaires
Yup it's a bigger problem then then the news states. I'm sure you've all seen the help I'm in 200k debt shows (not house) guess what? There is one on your block, maybe it's you even.

That's not just the crazy guest on the show, you have them over for dinner. They are all over.

About the shut downs, just like it was "cool" to go in debt now it's "cool" to be poor. We had a study done of people who've had a 4-5% raise in the past year and considered them self "wealthy" on a 5-7% (or less in some cases) increase cost of living they are talking about "making ends meet" etc. I would suspect even with the turn down things won't be as bad as predicted. Not that it's smooth sailing.

I really wish I didn't loan my paper to class mate for our project or id cite it more, IIRC Uni Of Penn did the study.

What amazes me being college age is you see cut backs but stupid ones. Yea I don't get star bucks every morning, but I still have a new car. I made a pretty fair salary for a grad student, I know classmates making a lot less with nice new cars, even odder being a high % of us take the train.

Wow, I rambled a bit didn't I?
[Reply]
landhoney 10:16 AM 01-23-2009
FTW
For the win? How does that apply? :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:18 AM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
For the win? How does that apply? :-)
guess again
[Reply]
kayak_rat 10:22 AM 01-23-2009
Alot of those dont offer anything for a niche market. Applebees offers food orderable anywhere, starbucks is just starbucks, Eddie Bauer has nice clothes but they are not a North Face or Patagonia. It is time to cull the fat from the market out there. American companies decided to become greedy and it bit them. Hate it for the people working for those companies.
[Reply]
Tombstone 01:15 PM 01-23-2009
Originally Posted by kayak_rat:
Alot of those dont offer anything for a niche market. Applebees offers food orderable anywhere, starbucks is just starbucks, Eddie Bauer has nice clothes but they are not a North Face or Patagonia. It is time to cull the fat from the market out there. American companies decided to become greedy and it bit them. Hate it for the people working for those companies.
:-) Great comments
[Reply]
Starscream 03:03 PM 01-23-2009
FTW
guess again
Eff the World?

Not a bad philosophy to take toward some of these corporations.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up