Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 270
« First < 678 9101858108 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
T.G 10:50 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by tuxpuff:
I hope it was from a horse that died of natural causes...not harvested for meat.
Why would you want that?

Old, tough, stringy, possibly diseased meat?

There's a reason the animal died naturally after all.

Would you eat a cow that died of natural causes? Or a chicken? blech... Assuming that the USDA would even let you, which they won't AFAIK.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:53 AM 02-12-2010
Cook what you want...but I find that to be very disturbing. The horse is a highly intelligent animal with a very respected history in America.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 10:57 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Why would you want that?

Would you eat a cow that died of natural causes? Or a chicken? blech... Assuming that the USDA would even let you, which they won't AFAIK.
I wouldn't want it. Since all American horse meat slaughter houses are closed, most horses are now processed in Mexico under inhumane conditions.
[Reply]
T.G 11:04 AM 02-12-2010
Cook what you want...but I find that to be very disturbing. The horse is a highly intelligent animal with a very respected history in America.
Pigs are considered to be highly intelligent animals also.

They just happen to be made out of bacon, so they're basically ****ed.

Cow is considered sacred in some countries and religions, and, as such, they are never slaughtered or eaten. Do you think that fact even enters the mind of most Americans when they pick up a pack of ribeye steaks at the market?

Different cultures bro. Doesn't make any difference to me if they want to raise horses for food. Heck, I'd be willing to try it out of culinary curiosity if I'm ever in Switzerland. I can't say if I'd make a habit of it or not though.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:11 AM 02-12-2010
Pigs are considered to be highly intelligent animals also.

They just happen to be made out of bacon, so they're basically ****ed.

Cow is considered sacred in some countries and religions and as such, they are never slaughtered or eaten. Do you think that fact even enters the mind of most Americans when they pick up a pack of ribeye steaks at the market?

Different cultures bro. Doesn't make any difference to me if they want to raise horses for food. Heck, I'd be willing to try it out of culinary curiosity if I'm ever in Switzerland. I can't say if I'd make a habit of it or not though.
I hear ya brother...and agree with you. I just feel horse meat should not be an option.
[Reply]
T.G 11:14 AM 02-12-2010
I hope it was from a horse that died of natural causes...not harvested for meat.
Why would you want that?

I wouldn't want it.
Since all American horse meat slaughter houses are closed, most horses are now processed in Mexico under inhumane conditions.

Precisely. You wouldn't eat an animal that died naturally, so why would you expect the Swiss to feel any different about their meats?

-----------
Addendum:

No need to answer bro (besides the fact it was a retorical question) , looks like we were both posting at the same time.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:20 AM 02-12-2010
That was in regards to horse meat specifically because of the inhumane treatment and slaughter. No I wouldn't eat a cow, chicken, or pig that dies naturally either...but that is not relevant to my opposition of horse meat.
[Reply]
T.G 11:22 AM 02-12-2010
I hear ya brother...and agree with you. I just feel horse meat should not be an option.
Hey, no arguments there bro. If you don't feel that horsemeat shouldn't be eaten, that's cool. That's your opinion.

I'm not so much advocating that horses should be eaten (or not), I'm simply speaking to the "different strokes for different cultures" tolerance but more importantly, the fact that if they are going to eat it, that there's no reason it should be not be able to be processed with the same health & agriculture code standards as other meats.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 11:26 AM 02-12-2010
Hey, no arguments there bro. If you don't feel that horsemeat shouldn't be eaten, that's cool. That's your opinion.

I'm not so much advocating that horses should be eaten (or not), I'm simply speaking to the "different strokes for different cultures" tolerance but more importantly, the fact that if they are going to eat it, that there's no reason it should be not be able to be processed with the same health & agriculture code standards as other meats.
That is one of the issues...because there are no longer facilities in the US they are purchased here by Mexican companies...taken across the border...and treated horribly. There is a pretty big push for legislation to ban the export.
[Reply]
T.G 11:27 AM 02-12-2010
That was in regards to horse meat specifically because of the inhumane treatment and slaughter. No I wouldn't eat a cow, chicken, or pig that dies naturally either...but that is not relevant to my opposition of horse meat.
I don't know for certain what the level of sanitation or "humane treatment" in Swiss slaughterhouses is, but I would suspect it's probably on par with the US.

I'll agree that Mexican slaughterhouse procedures can be kind of sketchy depending on the facility. Honestly, I didn't even know that Mexico processed horsemeat for human consumption until you mentioned it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:29 PM 02-12-2010
Most or all the horse meat in Europe comes from Canada from what I understand. Every major supermarket has horse products if not filets and sirloins. The filet by far is the best horse cut. Every regular restaurant has horse on the menu. Horse dried sausage is really popular. Like a bigger slim jim yet worlds apart. Horse is also dried like and sliced thin like jamon- uttlerly amazing. All the processed horse is done with smoke. Very lean, but delicate.

As for the moralty part; the horse is as regarded in Switzerland.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 01:46 PM 02-12-2010
Horse meat is what Napolean's army subsisted on while escaping Russia in 1812.

Anyway... Moses, just one stupid question on the picture you provided. I see that a SmokeShack unit is being used, or rather mis-used (or one of its copies), and the question is, Why? As in why was it disassembled and used as a grill now (I just don't agree the meat is being smoked in such a way, it is simply cooked with some residual smoke, as opposed to smoke being the primary flavor enhancer in a closed off smoker).
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:19 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Horse meat is what Napolean's army subsisted on while escaping Russia in 1812.

Anyway... Moses, just one stupid question on the picture you provided. I see that a SmokeShack unit is being used, or rather mis-used (or one of its copies), and the question is, Why? As in why was it disassembled and used as a grill now (I just don't agree the meat is being smoked in such a way, it is simply cooked with some residual smoke, as opposed to smoke being the primary flavor enhancer in a closed off smoker).
We were using a direct flame over the food, not really smoking. The aluminium tray was for ease. This was my first time cooking on such a grill. There are several ways you could use this set up and everyone has a similar grill in Switzerland. The grate sliders are built in the grill.

The method to start the grill is also traditional Swiss. You'll go through a lot of wood using it this way. One bushel of wood cooks one meal!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:59 PM 02-12-2010
Horse is the only thing we raised or caught on our farm that I haven't eaten. Well, I have eaten horse nuts after we gelded them... but that isn't the whole animal. When one died we would call one of the greyhound kennels and they would feed it to the dogs. I certainly have no problem with anyone eating one and I would without hesitation. It's just animal protein.
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:09 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Horse is the only thing we raised or caught on our farm that I haven't eaten. Well, I have eaten horse nuts after we gelded them... but that isn't the whole animal. When one died we would call one of the greyhound kennels and they would feed it to the dogs. I certainly have no problem with anyone eating one and I would without hesitation. It's just animal protein.
:-).....smoked?....I'm thinkin' some apple wood...take 'em to 190 or so....so they get real tender....then a chipotle-peach glaze to finish 'em off....:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:17 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
:-).....smoked?....
Well DUH!!! I'd thing 190 might be a little too high depending on the fat content. I'm thinking more like venison. Do it in TK's Dr Pepper marinade, wrap in bacon, and take it to about 140:-) :-)

To each his own though!!
[Reply]
Mr B 05:47 PM 02-12-2010
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :-) I got an Orignal Bradley Electric for christmas but have not used it yet. I cleaned and seasoned it a few weeks back and will Christen it this weekend w/ some Beef Ribs. the Bradley is a neat concept but I think I might find myself getting another Barrell electric too. I know mine so well.
What i'm gonna miss is the 11 years of yummy smoke resin built up on the inside of Ol Faithfull. she will be missed.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 07:29 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
We were using a direct flame over the food, not really smoking. The aluminium tray was for ease. This was my first time cooking on such a grill. There are several ways you could use this set up and everyone has a similar grill in Switzerland. The grate sliders are built in the grill.

The method to start the grill is also traditional Swiss. You'll go through a lot of wood using it this way. One bushel of wood cooks one meal!
It looks like a semi-assembled CookShack, wow. How long does it take to grill a nice one inch thick T-bone steak, let's say, on this thing?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:56 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :-) I got an Orignal Bradley Electric for christmas but have not used it yet. I cleaned and seasoned it a few weeks back and will Christen it this weekend w/ some Beef Ribs. the Bradley is a neat concept but I think I might find myself getting another Barrell electric too. I know mine so well.
What i'm gonna miss is the 11 years of yummy smoke resin built up on the inside of Ol Faithfull. she will be missed.
I've had my Bradley for about two years now. Turned out some pretty good food. I've made all sorts of stuff, ribs, whole chickens, sausages, bacon, etc. If you haven't already, check out the Bradley forums for great recipes and such. Best place for the wood pucks is Amazon. Not sure if they still are running it, but you used to be able to get 4 boxes for the price of 3.
[Reply]
T.G 08:49 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :-)
You mean not even Graingers or McMaster-Carr has the parts to repair it?
[Reply]
Page 8 of 270
« First < 678 9101858108 > Last »
Up