Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Spatzele noodles?
althekillr 05:46 PM 10-26-2008
Had a family friend come over from switzerland and brought some spatzele egg noodles. They were fantastic, went great with the mushroom-light cream sauce she made. Where can I get these noodles. Nothing on the internet i can see unless i order from overseas.

tks, to me these noodles would go great with lots of pasta dishes.
[Reply]
Squid 05:50 PM 10-26-2008
Originally Posted by althekillr:
Had a family friend come over from switzerland and brought some spatzele egg noodles. They were fantastic, went great with the mushroom-light cream sauce she made. Where can I get these noodles. Nothing on the internet i can see unless i order from overseas.

This is a staple in Germany. Great with Beef Stroganoff. Find a store that sales German food products and you'll probably find them. Or, find a German restaurant and inquire from some of the folks there.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 06:34 PM 10-26-2008
Originally Posted by Squid:
This is a staple in Germany. Great with Beef Stroganoff. Find a store that sales German food products and you'll probably find them. Or, find a German restaurant and inquire from some of the folks there.
Agreed.
I've never had a problem finding real ones at just the local food stores.

I love Spatzele, grew up on it, some where I have a Spatzele maker lol.
[Reply]
dunng 06:40 PM 10-26-2008
Lots of it here - http://www.munichhaus.com/menus/dinner.html TRicker and I have lunch here as you can smoke on the patio... :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:38 AM 10-27-2008
Knorr makes them, you should be able to find them easily. My friend makes them out of the box all the time and he's not shopping anywhere fancy.

They are also quite easy to make from scatch. The grate is the tough part, as that defines how thick they are as the dough rubs over it into the boiling water.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:41 AM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by althekillr:

Roosti, Schnitzel, Cheval...
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:46 AM 10-27-2008
My wife makes her own spatzele, it's pretty easy. You can get a spatzle maker and then you need a recipe.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainle.../dp/B00004UE89

http://www.recipezaar.com/53605
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:17 PM 10-27-2008
Never thought I'd see a Spaetzle thread on a cigar board . I used to get Spaetzle at Germandeli.com , great vendor out of Texas . I've seen both Emeril and Wolfgang Puck make Spaetzle and I have both of their recipes . I make it quite often as my daughters absolutely love it with a nice piece of meat and a good gravy . Emerils Recipe is : 3 eggs , 1 cup milk , 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg , kosher salt and white pepper , 3 cups all-purpose flour . in a bowl whisk eggs , milk , salt , pepper and nutmeg . Gradually stir in the flour . (You want it to be thicker then pancake batter) . Let batter rest covered in the fridge for 1 hour . Boil water in a large pot and add salt . Use your Spaetzle maker or large holed colander to press dough through and into the water . When the Spaetzle float they are done , about 5 minutes . W.Pucks recipe is more complex : 4 egg yolks and 1 whole egg , 1-3/4 cups milk , 3 cups flour , 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg , 1 tsp salt , 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper , 1/2 cup peanut oil , 2 ounces unsalted butter . In a small bowl beat together eggs and milk . in a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients . Add the egg mixture to the flour mix and mix with hand until well blended . Let batter rest covered in the fridge for 1 hour . Boil water and add salt to it . Use your Spaetzle maker to add the batter to the water and cook for 4-5 minutes or until they float . Drain the Spaetzle . Add the oil to a large sauté pan and get very hot , add the Spaetzle and sauté until golden brown (I've never done this part) . Season to taste with salt and pepper . Hope this helps and sorry for the long post . :-)
[Reply]
AAlmeter 08:21 PM 10-27-2008
Wolfgang Pucks recipe is what I use...love it, especially with my twist on his Hungarian Goulash!

In a pinch, you can use a colander and a smaller bowl to force the batter through instead of a spaetzle maker.
[Reply]
BrewMeister 06:52 PM 10-28-2008
Actually you can order them from Amazon.

[Reply]
hotreds 07:05 PM 10-28-2008
Knorr makes some good ones- I have seen them locally in SW Ohio.
[Reply]
althekillr 09:24 PM 10-28-2008
cool, thanks guys, must not have been looking for it hard enough.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 06:17 AM 10-29-2008
10-minutes before the roast is ready...

I make my own - nothing to it. Forty-'leven times better than bagged noodles. Make a wet paste from salt, flour, water, egg, nutmeg (takes about five minutes, while the water is boiling). Spooge the mess thru a colander with a spatchet or use a spaetzle maker (best look like a giant garlic press, in my opinion - I don't like the "grater" type) right into the boiling water. The glops hit the boiling water and sink - when they float, a minute or so later, skim them out with a slotted spoon and put them into a serving bowl. Voila! I mean, "Wunderbar!"

As wifey puts the roast on the table you should be frantically stirring pepper, salt, cream (or sour cream, better yet) and a little flour into the pan drippings. Bring the gravy out in one hand with the still-steaming spaetzle in the other. Ach! Schmect gut!
[Reply]
Up