Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 46 of 70
« First < 36444546 474856 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Salvelinus 07:28 AM 01-28-2012
You'll be able to make quality brew with that kit, so don't let the decision bug you.
[Reply]
forgop 11:01 AM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Didn't have any current codes. I tried.
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
You'll be able to make quality brew with that kit, so don't let the decision bug you.
Not disputing that-just feel like I could have had a much nicer pot for the same price.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 11:58 AM 01-28-2012
Do you know what shipping would cost to return? Their return policy seems pretty open to taking a kit back that you aren't happy with, shipping might kill that idea though.
[Reply]
mmblz 02:19 PM 01-28-2012
Racked my Ruination clone to secondary.
Already tastes pretty darn good!
Ended up using 2oz Millenium (!!!), 3 oz Centennial. 2 more Centennial dry hopped today...
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 03:00 PM 01-28-2012
I'm kinda disappointed with my order from Midwest. If I had known this was just a standard Brewers Best Deluxe kit with 2 cases of bottles and a cheapo kettle, I would have ordered the kit/bottles/ingredients kit from Bell's General Store for $156.29 shipped and then gotten this kettle http://www.amazon.com/Winware-Stainl...7712164&sr=8-1 (which I'm sure is much better than this one http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...-5-gallon.html ) for just $2 more.
Duane, I think you're gonna do just fine and brew some excellent styles with that set-up.

I had a similar set-up a number of years back, except I purchased a box of 22oz bottles (I just believe in a healthy English pint:-)). Brewed some excellent Bitters and IPA with that gear.

As Charlie Papazian states "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew..."

[Reply]
replicant_argent 05:51 PM 01-28-2012
Originally Posted by mmblz:
Racked my Ruination clone to secondary.
Already tastes pretty darn good!
Ended up using 2oz Millenium (!!!), 3 oz Centennial. 2 more Centennial dry hopped today...
Julian, that much hops makes me smile.

I pulled a sample off my freshly kegged Black IPA yesterday. Think Hoppy Sweet Dark Chocolate Espresso.
The hop schedule is:
- 1 oz Summit (60 min)
- 1 oz Chinook (15 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 1 oz Centennial (0 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Pretty intense.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:01 PM 01-29-2012
Just cracked the first of my Surly Furious clone beers. Damn good. if I do say so myself. As posted on other threads, if anyone can get me some surly furious to compare, you will be rewarded.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 05:33 PM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Just cracked the first of my Surly Furious clone beers. Damn good. if I do say so myself. As posted on other threads, if anyone can get me some surly furious to compare, you will be rewarded.
Any chance of posting the recipe? That's a beer I'd like to have on home tap.
[Reply]
forgop 06:35 PM 01-29-2012
My first batch of home brew (Mr. Beer) will be ready at the end of the coming week. I'm really nervous to try it. I followed the instructions, but just hate the idea that it'll be awful. It's the west coast pale ale.

So, has anyone made a batch (that despite doing what you thought to be fully correct anyway) turned out to be just awful because something in the brewing process went wrong?
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:47 PM 01-29-2012
My first few batches after a long hiatus were with a pal that lived north of me. He had well water. Four batches, same off flavor in all of them. Drinkable, but not enjoyable. I think it was iron, when we switched to brewing at my place the beer got better.
[Reply]
Mikes 08:00 AM 01-30-2012
TriCerahops IIPA and Zelos IPA came out of a 2 week ferment and have been carbing in the keg for about a week and are pretty damn good. Still think I like the flavor profile of a more citrus based IPA.

Into the fermenter goes 10 gal of Goose Island Honkers Ale and 10 gal of Easy Street Wheat. Still have room for 4 more kegs so over the weekend I built a wooden shelf to place into the garage fridge so that we can lager / make Pilsners / marzens etc.....Just need to get another Johnson temp control and more kegs lol.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:52 AM 01-30-2012
I kegged a Falconer's Flight IPA last night after adding a fourth (and final) tap to my keezer. I had to bring my co2 tank out to make room and re-run and splice some gas lines, but got it up and running.

At the request of my girlfriend I also experimented with making a partial keg of beergaritas for a party we're having later this month.

They're a mix of limeade concentrate, a couple light beers, a couple cans of Sprite and tequila (I think that's all ... she mixed them so I'm not sure of the ratios). Pretty sweet for my tastes but refreshing.

We mixed up about a gallon and it seemed to work great so it'll be fun to have something on tap for the non-beer drinkers
[Reply]
ktblunden 10:01 AM 01-30-2012
I bottled my first brew (California-style Pale, probably end up similar to Sierra Nevada) on Saturday. Ended up yielding about 4.6 gallons, which is just slightly more than I anticipated. Yesterday I brewed what is going to be a vanilla bourbon stout and got that into the primary. As of last night the airlock was happily bubbling away, which is always nice to see. I did a yeast starter on this one and I was a little concerned about how that would end up.
[Reply]
mmblz 07:58 PM 01-31-2012
anyone have a quick "hack" to make a blowoff tube?
making a belgian stout, and between the belgian yeast and tons of malts/malt extracts, worried about an explosion.

all i have is the siphon tube, and a lid with a hole where you can insert a normal water lock.
the hole is roughly the same size as the inside of the siphon tube, so if only i had a little "coupler" of some sort.... any bright ideas?
[Reply]
mmblz 08:31 PM 01-31-2012
here is what started to really worry me :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugfub...eature=related
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:43 PM 01-31-2012
I removed the grommet from the lid and jammed a hose in it, it fits fairly well. The other end is in a bucket of sanitizer. I usually use the carboy and use the large hose for a blowoff, but wanted to get a couple batches going at the same time. I am not sure it will work well.
Extra pale ale in the keg for secondary today, and Dry Irish stout in the primary (bucket).
I think I may go down to see if I have a mess or not.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 05:43 AM 02-01-2012
My first batch of home brew (Mr. Beer) will be ready at the end of the coming week. I'm really nervous to try it. I followed the instructions, but just hate the idea that it'll be awful. It's the west coast pale ale.

So, has anyone made a batch (that despite doing what you thought to be fully correct anyway) turned out to be just awful because something in the brewing process went wrong?
I started with Mr. Beer and it led me on my path I now travel with mutliple fermenters and an outdoor burner for my brew pot. One step will likely lead to another just like with cigar smoking. No matter what....just remember it will still be beer and you can still drink it! :-)

Last summer I brewed a hefeweizen that should have been easy. It was for my wife and she wanted me to try and add macadamia nuts to give it a banna nut flavor. Well, being a bit more inexperienced back then I added salted crushed up macadamia nuts to my secondary fermentation and it turned out horrible. Ruined an entire 5 gallons....but that's how you learn!

Right now I have a maibock that is entering it's final few days in primary fermenation. Brewed it last year and it was amazing!

Just cracked my Sam Adams Black Lager clone and it is mighty tasty!

Keep up with the hobby and the more you read and do the more and more exciting it will become! :-)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:16 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I removed the grommet from the lid and jammed a hose in it, it fits fairly well. The other end is in a bucket of sanitizer. I usually use the carboy and use the large hose for a blowoff, but wanted to get a couple batches going at the same time. I am not sure it will work well.
Extra pale ale in the keg for secondary today, and Dry Irish stout in the primary (bucket).
I think I may go down to see if I have a mess or not.
Did this with my last beer as well.
[Reply]
Mikes 06:56 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
Did this with my last beer as well.

I use a 3 piece airlock and run a hose off of it into a pitcher of idaphor water. You just need to snip off the little plastick screen off of the bottom of the barb (I dont know why they even put them there b/c they get clogged) then insert this into the grommet in the lind and run your blow off tube off of the top. Of course this should make an airproof seal but I go ahead and put idaphor water in the 3 piece airlock where the tube slips over the palstic.
[Reply]
mmblz 07:38 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Mikes:

I use a 3 piece airlock and run a hose off of it into a pitcher of idaphor water. You just need to snip off the little plastick screen off of the bottom of the barb (I dont know why they even put them there b/c they get clogged) then insert this into the grommet in the lind and run your blow off tube off of the top. Of course this should make an airproof seal but I go ahead and put idaphor water in the 3 piece airlock where the tube slips over the palstic.
this is essentially what i was hoping to do but my hose was too small to fit over that tube in the airlock...
first 7 hours, no activity, so maybe i have time to pick up a different hose on my way home tonight.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 70
« First < 36444546 474856 > Last »
Up