Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor Advise for a beginner
NCRadioMan 11:52 AM 12-26-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
I have my glass humidor that is leaking bad. I can get it to 65% and then it drops. Im getting sick of messing with it. I have 1lb of beads in there, and it only needs like 5oz or so.
A nice bead of silicon around the glass would prevent the leak.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 12:39 PM 12-26-2009
I have 4 sides with glass.. I bought the display case because where it was before I moved things around the house it looked nice. I think now, I'll be onto getting something else and I'll have this one up for sale on here soon. Cheap, for some new people.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 09:56 PM 12-26-2009
Avoid Thompsons at all cost . I was gifted a Thompson humidor and am very grateful for the gesture . However it doesn't hold humidity at all . I bought a Savoy at a local shop and it has been great for a long time now . http://www.holts.com/category.html?id=86677 . I have the Savoy Large Bubinga . Worth every penny . Check one out . Welcome to the Asylum . And as others have said , I have 2 big coolers that work very well also . :-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 11:08 PM 12-26-2009
Hmmmm

Seems to me that a lot of folks are giving opinions based on their run down the slope forgetting how much fun they had and how much they learned along the way.

In my opinion you don't need;

a cooler
a winefridge
a digital hygro
silicone beads

Oh wait there it is again, my opinion on all the things you didn't ask.

I say this. Find a good humidor for 100 to 150 sticks, there are many many sites that have quality products and plenty of inmates to help point you in the direction of those. Maybe before you do that go see your local tobacconist (B&M ~ Bricks and Mortor) and look at a few of his boxes get an idea for the size and feel of the ones you are thinking of. It is likely they are more expensive in the B&M but take some time and shop them a little, that way you will have a better idea of what you are looking at when you see them online.

As for humidification the floral foam that is included and some distilled water and propylene glycol will work great, there are other humidification alternatives out there but get your new box all up and running before you leap down the accessories slope. Use the hygrometer that comes with the box and calibrate it using a salt test ( LINK TO SALT TEST ) look up how to season your new humidor (WIKI LINK) fill up your humidor with some smokes and fire one up and read the many threads here on how we all launched ourselves down the slope. My story started with a little 50ct desktop and I now have a rather full 4000 stick cabinet. But there are as many different stories and opinions as there are inmates on this board. What one does may not fit your idea of cigar smoking, or your budget or your climate who knows best way is to proceed down the slope at your own pace, I suspect it will be quicker than you think but then thats the great thing about opinions mine is just as likely to be wrong as the next guys.

Its a great little obsession we have going here and it brings me hours and hours of enjoyment..............hopefully it will for you too.
[Reply]
cort 12:20 AM 12-27-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Hmmmm

Seems to me that a lot of folks are giving opinions based on their run down the slope forgetting how much fun they had and how much they learned along the way.

In my opinion you don't need;

a cooler
a winefridge
a digital hygro
silicone beads

Oh wait there it is again, my opinion on all the things you didn't ask.

I say this. Find a good humidor for 100 to 150 sticks, there are many many sites that have quality products and plenty of inmates to help point you in the direction of those. Maybe before you do that go see your local tobacconist (B&M ~ Bricks and Mortor) and look at a few of his boxes get an idea for the size and feel of the ones you are thinking of. It is likely they are more expensive in the B&M but take some time and shop them a little, that way you will have a better idea of what you are looking at when you see them online.

As for humidification the floral foam that is included and some distilled water and propylene glycol will work great, there are other humidification alternatives out there but get your new box all up and running before you leap down the accessories slope. Use the hygrometer that comes with the box and calibrate it using a salt test ( LINK TO SALT TEST ) look up how to season your new humidor (WIKI LINK) fill up your humidor with some smokes and fire one up and read the many threads here on how we all launched ourselves down the slope. My story started with a little 50ct desktop and I now have a rather full 4000 stick cabinet. But there are as many different stories and opinions as there are inmates on this board. What one does may not fit your idea of cigar smoking, or your budget or your climate who knows best way is to proceed down the slope at your own pace, I suspect it will be quicker than you think but then thats the great thing about opinions mine is just as likely to be wrong as the next guys.

Its a great little obsession we have going here and it brings me hours and hours of enjoyment..............hopefully it will for you too.
:-) Very well said Fox.
[Reply]
shilala 05:11 AM 12-27-2009
Originally Posted by sofaman:
I have would avoid anything with a glass top every one I have had had leaked bad :-)
Amen to that.
Scott's is sitting in my workshop getting it's second round of fixes right now, along with three other glass junkidors. The glass is never properly selaed in inexpensive humis, and they leak like a sieve.
[Reply]
htown 05:56 AM 12-27-2009
I have this humidor and bought it on auction for $86 and I love it.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=826805
[Reply]
nayslayer 06:19 AM 12-27-2009
Originally Posted by htown:
I have this humidor and bought it on auction for $86 and I love it.

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=826805
Got the same one last week, even CA magizine gave it a decent revew. Don't worry, after you join cigarbid.com to get the humidor, you'll have that thing filled soon enough..I know mine will
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up