Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What kind of cutter/punch do you use?
T.G 03:12 PM 11-18-2009
I use a Gransfors Bruks hatchet.

Takes some practice and getting used to, but the looks are priceless.
[Reply]
kayaker 06:27 PM 11-18-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
I use a Gransfors Bruks hatchet.

Takes some practice and getting used to, but the looks are priceless.
I'd like to see a picture of that. :-)

I have a brand new Gransfors Bruks small forest axe.
[Reply]
kayaker 06:35 PM 11-18-2009
I buddy of mine gave me this cutter today. I've never seen one like it. 2 sized holes with 2 cutting blades that are connected on one side that acts as a V cutter.

HippoTec is the brand.

Tried his out today on a torp and it cut pretty cleanly. Haven't tried the V cutter yet though.

The blades on mine look a little dull so I figured out how to take it apart so I can try to sharpen it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Attached: HippoTec Cigar Cutter 003.jpg (101.5 KB) HippoTec Cigar Cutter 005.jpg (96.7 KB) HippoTec Cigar Cutter 006.jpg (96.0 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 08:07 PM 11-18-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
I buddy of mine gave me this cutter today. I've never seen one like it. 2 sized holes with 2 cutting blades that are connected on one side that acts as a V cutter.

HippoTec is the brand.

Tried his out today on a torp and it cut pretty cleanly. Haven't tried the V cutter yet though.

The blades on mine look a little dull so I figured out how to take it apart so I can try to sharpen it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I have seen those before, but for the life of me, I can't remember where.
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:17 AM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by dinder1:
I have tried pretty much every cutter out there and now that my stash of Havana Cigar Cutters has run dry (my previous favorite) I use a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar Cutter.
For me the Cuban Crafters cutter at $15.00 is a steal! Great clean cut, heavy duty construction, lifetime warranty.
which one did you go with? Also, have you tried their punch cutter? I too were looking at these before and was interested in buying them but I didn't. I currently have a few cheapies that I got when I bought cigars through a local shop.
[Reply]
dinder1 09:16 AM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
which one did you go with? Also, have you tried their punch cutter? I too were looking at these before and was interested in buying them but I didn't. I currently have a few cheapies that I got when I bought cigars through a local shop.
Hey Jon,
I use what Cuba Crafters calls their "Perfect" cutter....and so far it has been pretty close to perfect.
[Reply]
Wanger 09:31 AM 11-19-2009
I have 3 that I use with regularity. #1 choice is my Palio. #2 is my Xikar scissors (because of the sheath I have for it, and the handiness for nubbing a stick). #3 is my SAK; cuts great, but I just don't use it as much as I used to (before the Palio).
[Reply]
SilverFox 09:47 AM 11-19-2009
Xikar Punch for every thing that it fits.

Palio for when a cut is needed.

SOG Twitch when none available
[Reply]
slickster81 10:24 AM 11-19-2009
SOG Twitch?

Shaking Old Guy Twitch? :-):-):-)

OK, just funnin' ya.

What is SOG Twitch?
[Reply]
darkninja67 10:41 AM 11-19-2009
Zino Davidoff is what I use. Has been sharp for close to 15 years.

Anyone have a recommendation on something of good quality for larger gauges??? How thick can the Palios cut??
[Reply]
T.G 10:48 AM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by darkninja67:

Anyone have a recommendation on something of good quality for larger gauges??? How thick can the Palios cut??
Like you, I've been using a Zino for ages, still as sharp as it ever was.

A Palio is my other cutter - I'd say they'll take up to about 54-56 ring.
[Reply]
darkninja67 10:49 AM 11-19-2009
Like you, I've been using a Zino for ages, still as sharp as it ever was.

Thanks.

Yeah the Zino is rock solid. I put it in my back pocket and never worry about it. Nice and compact too.
[Reply]
T.G 10:53 AM 11-19-2009
Thanks.

Yeah the Zino is rock solid. I put it in my back pocket and never worry about it. Nice and compact too.
Those are pretty much the reasons I'm still stuck on the Zino. Not that the Palio is bad, it's not, it's a great cutter. But the Zino is more compact, less likely to gum up and it's sharper...
[Reply]
Kreth 11:17 AM 11-19-2009
I've cut a few 60s with my Palio. Obviously, you can't get down to the shoulder, but I usually want to restrict the draw a bit on something that big anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
SilverFox 12:43 PM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by slickster81:
SOG Twitch?

Shaking Old Guy Twitch? :-):-):-)

OK, just funnin' ya.

What is SOG Twitch?

SOG Twitch :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 01:04 PM 11-19-2009
Palio
[Reply]
jmsremax 01:13 PM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by dinder1:
Hey Jon,
I use what Cuba Crafters calls their "Perfect" cutter....and so far it has been pretty close to perfect.
Thanks for the tip...but unfortunately they are sold out. I will keep my eye on the site for when they come back in stock. The plastic ones I've been using have done the job, but I don't always cut it straight or sometimes cut too much. Time to upgrade.
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:04 PM 11-19-2009
Xikar xi3
Xikar xi2
Palio Camo
Xikar 009 Punch
and the Xikar MTX multi-tool
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 03:05 PM 11-19-2009

My Zino cuts a LGC Serie R #6 perfectly . :-)
[Reply]
WyGuy 04:39 PM 11-19-2009
My Palio is my go to cutter, have a couple cheapies that I keep in the car and golf bag.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up