Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cigar Box Storage
paris1129 02:26 PM 12-30-2009
Another question for the experienced minds out there. I recently made a signiicant purchase in several boxes of cigars. I do not plan on smoking any of them right away, I will probably wait until spring when its warmer and I am celebrating passing the CPA Exam (assuming I pass this last part in the next few months). Anyway, since I will be storing them for a few months, should I leave the boxes shrink wrapped in my cabinet humi, or should I open them for some reason? One of them even came wrapped tight in bubble wrap. Normally, I would just open them without thinking about it, but these are more expensive sticks so I want to make sure I take care of them. Any suggestions on how to store them?

[Reply]
14holestogie 02:28 PM 12-30-2009
You need to unwrap them so they can acclimate. Who knows what humidity they were shipped at (probably wetter than desired). You're asking for mold issues if you keep them wrapped. :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:29 PM 12-30-2009
As long as you're comfortable with the humidity in that cabinet, I'd open those bad boys up and let 'em breath. Since many places ship pretty wet, I wouldn't trust keeping all that humidity bottled up inside those boxes that long.
[Reply]
paris1129 02:32 PM 12-30-2009
Wow! Thanks for the fast response! Using that logic, though, do you guys leave the cellophane on individual sticks to let them breath?
[Reply]
14holestogie 02:34 PM 12-30-2009
Yes, the cellophane can stay on as cellophane breathes. Shrink wrap, not so much. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 02:37 PM 12-30-2009
I agree with these guys, even beyond the long term storage I would want to check them out and make sure everything is OK now.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:02 PM 12-30-2009
Another reason to open them up is to inspect them. Better to know right away if, say, the cigars were damaged or moldy. If you wait until spring, you would have no recourse at all.
:-)
[Reply]
paris1129 04:19 PM 12-30-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
Yes, the cellophane can stay on as cellophane breathes. Shrink wrap, not so much. :-)
Most of these goodies I just bought came in glass tubes. I should leave these in the tubes, right?
[Reply]
14holestogie 04:25 PM 12-30-2009
Originally Posted by paris1129:
Most of these goodies I just bought came in glass tubes. I should leave these in the tubes, right?
Personal preference. They will age more slowly as some prefer.
Some people take the caps (or corks) off to accelerate the process.
Whatever you feel. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:39 PM 12-30-2009
Originally Posted by paris1129:
Those tubes are nowhere near what I would consider "tight", so I would leave them in.
:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:46 PM 12-30-2009
Oh, another reason to open them - you cannot smoke them if they are sitting there sealed. And, personally, that is why I buy them - to smoke.
[Reply]
Up