Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Why not Walmart? Rant alert.
Joseywales 06:48 PM 12-09-2009
Bought a Xikar hygrometer online $20. Unless my kitchen has temp fluctuations of 1 to 199 degrees, I figured it was a bad unit. Turns out the battery had corroded inside. Possibly the fault of damp storage??? Perhaps. Can't send it back to the online retailer, because their warranty ends at the curb. I shipped it back first class to Xikar weeks ago and haven't heard boo from them. I'm sure at some point they'll come through. But I still need a unit right???

I wanted a unit ASAP, because I had time to transfer a humidor, and my local Radio Shack doesn't sell them. So I paid $6 for the Wallyworld unit. It's off by 9 precent, but it has been constant.

I just bought a humidor with a Don Salvatore hygrometer. Although not new, the hyrgometer doesn't work either and they don't warranty anything.

We pay more for name brands, hoping the quality and service might be better. I find more and more that this is not the case. I buy as much as I can from Craigslist and local thrift shops. Older firearms, eBay, etc. My 9 foot artificial Christmas tree cost me $2.37. I actually hung the receipt as an ornament last year. Even though the box said Frame retardent, I figured it was worth a shot :-) Unless it falls and breaks my flat screen (floor model-not new) TV, I can't imagine that tree ever disappointing me.

My $600 Rubbermaid shed cost me $65 on Craiglist.
All of my PCs are refurbs.
I bought a brand new 1999 Subaru - after weeks of arguing with the dealer, Subaru of America forced them to take it back and replace the vehicle. It had been damaged on their lot and they never disclosed it. The new one they gave me: I had to replace the CV axles twice, head gasket and transmission all before 70,000. After that, it ran great until I sold it at 135,000. Fortunately, I dealed out a Gold warranty, so it was $50 each time they had to repair it.

I honestly can't rembember the last item I bought brand new that I was satisfied with. At first, my wife would say, "we have bad luck." Its not true. I notice EVERYTHING. Like Monk. It's almost a curse. How did I know the Subaru was damaged? The bumper was an 1/8" lower on one side. As I looked closer, the mystery unraveled, including the window molding that had been repalced, etc.

By buying used, knowing if the item has fualts, and paying less, I find I'm rarely disappointed in a product's performance.

Ok...I'm done.
[Reply]
kgoings 07:15 PM 12-09-2009
Wow what ever crawled up there reach in and pull it out! :-) :-) :-)

I hate it when **** breaks.
[Reply]
Joseywales 07:19 PM 12-09-2009
I think I'll ask the wife to bang the evil out of me :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 07:31 PM 12-09-2009
Originally Posted by Joseywales:
I think I'll ask the wife to bang the evil out of me :-)
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales
2) SmokeyJoe :-)

(just kidding... hope you find some quality and dependable items to restore your faith a bit. :-) )
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:06 AM 12-10-2009
You're an outlaw!!
[Reply]
1badhog07 05:33 AM 12-10-2009
Glad you got it out of your system..
[Reply]
tobii3 05:59 AM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

(just kidding... hope you find some quality and dependable items to restore your faith a bit. :-) )
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Joe, you owe me a new keyboard!!!

I never expected THAT in this thread!!!!

:-)
[Reply]
aich75013 09:08 AM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by Joseywales:
Bought a Xikar hygrometer online $20. Unless my kitchen has temp fluctuations of 1 to 199 degrees, I figured it was a bad unit. Turns out the battery had corroded inside. Possibly the fault of damp storage??? Perhaps. Can't send it back to the online retailer, because their warranty ends at the curb. I shipped it back first class to Xikar weeks ago and haven't heard boo from them. I'm sure at some point they'll come through. But I still need a unit right???
I know this isn't the point of your thread, but I have one of those Xikar Hygrometers too. Same thing. After about 6 months use (maybe less) it wouldn't work anymore. When I checked the battery, I noticed that the contacts on the unit were corroded (green).
I guess they didn't expect it to be placed in a humid environment.
I never did bother contacting Xikar, though. I think these are rebranded from another company, Madelaine?
I have a few hygrosets now.

I stick to name brands for certain things, but I do agree. Quality control has gone way down the toilet and cheap crap many times works as well as the "good" stuff.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:11 AM 12-10-2009
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:18 AM 12-10-2009
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

now THAT'S funny!!:-):-)
[Reply]
Montano 10:28 AM 12-10-2009
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

Dayuuuuuuuuummmm !!!!!!!!
[Reply]
e-man67 10:32 AM 12-10-2009
"Frame retardent" :-)
[Reply]
Joseywales 02:39 PM 12-10-2009
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

Hey, as long you pay half the bills....
[Reply]
Joseywales 02:48 PM 12-10-2009
And what about wine coolers. Have you Googled reviews for those things. Holy cra#! Do they make any that last more than a season. Compressors are no good and the thermos aren't much better. Just tons of complaints on adjusting temperature, etc. I really want one, but I'd be better clapping some chrome around my Igloo for crying out loud. Wine coolers do everything but keep wine at the correct temperature. They either hold too cold, or not at all. It's not even brand specific. They are all hit or miss.

I bought a nice Grundig radio at Radio Shack. But I'll ask for three of the same unit and try each one, to get the one with the best reception. There's always at least one that's much worse than the other two.

I find forum members to be the most reputable sales people. Because they tell the truth about the used product they're selling you.
[Reply]
gvarsity 03:01 PM 12-10-2009
A lot of it is our own damn fault by chasing low low prices and driving all manufacturing to China where there is no quality control, no safety oversight and no pride. Our justification to often is but hell it's so cheap when it breaks you just by a new one.

I myself struggle to live that way. I try to buy used/antique often times and when I do have to buy new I tend to buy fewer things that are way better made. I.e. the crib we bought for our daughter was 30%+ more money than the box stores but it is 100% renewable American hardwood made to order in Oregon by artisan craftsman with no petrochemical paints or stains.

I'm not trying to be smug it is I just couldn't handle shelling out 300$-400$ for a piece of assembly line crap fiberboard from China. My grandchildren will be able to use this crib (assuming they don't change the safety rules) and I'm not worried about it being recalled or my daughter getting poisoned by the paint etc...

It is like people getting an aristocrat instead of something of Cigarbid. Sometimes when it is important you have to find the real deal and pay for it and not settle for the mega-manufactured crap.
[Reply]
DoctorBJ 03:15 PM 12-10-2009
Wow... she will do that?

1) Joseywales

That's some funny Sh-stuff right there. :-)
[Reply]
kaelaria 05:52 PM 12-10-2009
Hmmmm...I'll stick to buying new cigars, you can have all my used ones, cheap :-)
[Reply]
Up