Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Use a traveldor for three months, or buy a small desktop?
Sauer Grapes 09:16 PM 02-27-2011
I'll be spending three months away from home this summer. I'll need to buy something to use while I'm away, as I'm not taking my vino with me. I currently have a 10ct cigar caddy, so that alone won't cut it.

I'm considering the following options.

1) getting a small desktop (that will hold 40 or so) and bringing the cigar caddy with me, or
2) getting a larger cigar caddy or similar traveldor and just use that for three months.

My concerns are that I won't need a desktop after the three months, so it'll just sit around after that, and I'm not sure if I should use a larger cigar caddy for that long of a term (3 months).

What suggestions do you guys have?
[Reply]
md4958 09:18 PM 02-27-2011
get yourself a large cigar caddy. you can always utilize cigar caddy later, and storage will not be a problem it has a better seal than any desktop you can find
[Reply]
Bill86 09:31 PM 02-27-2011
Large caddy and Heartfelt bead tubes. It seals airtight so I wouldn't see how you couldn't store cigars in there indefinitely.
[Reply]
bscottskangum 09:31 PM 02-27-2011
small cooler? It would be reusable later, but that is just me being my cheap self.
[Reply]
loki 09:37 PM 02-27-2011
where ya working this summer mate?
[Reply]
markem 09:49 PM 02-27-2011
which one are you more likely to reuse at a later date? If neither, go the small cooler route. If nothing else, you can sell a cooler more easily on craigslist later.
[Reply]
md4958 09:52 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by md4958:
get yourself a large cigar caddy. you can always utilize cigar caddy later, and storage will not be a problem it has a better seal than any desktop you can find
I forgot to mention... if you take the foam trays out of the cigar caddy, and use baggies, you can fit a ton more cigars... A 50 count caddy can easily store 3 times that amount.
[Reply]
shilala 09:56 PM 02-27-2011
How's about a Tupperware container. It can go right from kitchen to suitcase to kitchen. Done deal. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:05 PM 02-27-2011
Tupperware is a decent idea, and I used that as a humidor when I started anyway.

Seems like the consensus is to go the cigar caddy route. I aware how good the seal is, I just wasn't sure if it was fit for long term storage, but I guess I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Seems like I'll be on the lookout for a 40 or 50 ct. cigar caddy the next couple months. (I'm cheap, so I'll look for a deal, and if I don't find one I'll hit up cigarmony).
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:06 PM 02-27-2011
ive been using a 50 count xikar travel humi since i joined as 1 of my humis. granted i have a cooler and a desktop now but the point is it worked rather well for me while i was in the barracks. :-)

get a travel humi, they dont look as fancy but they work great!
[Reply]
loki 10:09 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Tupperware is a decent idea, and I used that as a humidor when I started anyway.

Seems like the consensus is to go the cigar caddy route. I aware how good the seal is, I just wasn't sure if it was fit for long term storage, but I guess I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Seems like I'll be on the lookout for a 40 or 50 ct. cigar caddy the next couple months. (I'm cheap, so I'll look for a deal, and if I don't find one I'll hit up cigarmony).
you can always take some ceder dividers from boxes and line the foam with it
[Reply]
Bill86 10:11 PM 02-27-2011

Watch cigar monster for the 40 counts.
[Reply]
T.G 10:15 PM 02-27-2011

With a boveda pack or a tube of beads (HF or HCM) a cigar caddy or pelican case is good for months of storage. Heck, even without the pack or tube it's good for a fairly long period of time, how long depends on how often you open it.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:36 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Watch cigar monster for the 40 counts.
Thanks for the tip. How often do they come up?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:00 PM 02-27-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
How's about a Tupperware container. It can go right from kitchen to suitcase to kitchen. Done deal. :-)
Scott's right! And you can use a small amount of HCM :-) (or Heartfelt) beads to keep the RH steady.

Make sure you get a food-worthy container, not a storage container.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:31 PM 02-27-2011
I've already got both types of beads, so I can take either with me when I make my decision. :-)
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 04:11 AM 02-28-2011
Large caddy and Heartfelt bead tubes. It seals airtight so I wouldn't see how you couldn't store cigars in there indefinitely.
+1
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:44 AM 02-28-2011
I didn't remember to type this last night, but the seal is exactly why I wasn't sure how it'd be long term, since there isn't any air exchange at all.

I guess I could open it once a week at least (which shouldn't be a problem).
[Reply]
mmblz 11:50 AM 02-28-2011
if you're looking for cheap, gallon ziplock bag(s).
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:53 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by mmblz:
if you're looking for cheap, gallon ziplock bag(s).
Not looking quite that cheap. I want to bring some pretty nice smokes with me, so the cheapest I'd be looking is a cigar caddy or small desktop.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up