Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 12
« First < 456 78 > Last »
General Discussion>Anyone seriosuly looking at the new DROID?
gpugliese 06:41 PM 12-18-2009
Blueface, I came from an iPhone, and to be honest, if Verizon had the iPhone at the time I switched (a month ago) I would have stuck with the iPhone.

The reason I'm staying with Verizon is that the service is much better than AT&T and T Mobile, and I'm happy with the Droid for now. I like it, but I don't love it, and sometimes find myself missing the iPhone's OS. One thing I do really like with the Droid is the notification drag down menu. Texts/emails/updates/etc all show up there, and it, along with the notification LED, are great.

I don't regret buying the Droid because the improvement in service is great, but if the iPhone does show up on Verizon within the next two years, I'd probably figure out a way to get it.
[Reply]
rlmedic 07:34 PM 12-18-2009
I am waiting for HTC dragon/passion to come to verizon...should be early 2010
[Reply]
Blueface 07:57 PM 12-18-2009
Originally Posted by gpugliese:
Blueface, I came from an iPhone, and to be honest, if Verizon had the iPhone at the time I switched (a month ago) I would have stuck with the iPhone.

The reason I'm staying with Verizon is that the service is much better than AT&T and T Mobile, and I'm happy with the Droid for now. I like it, but I don't love it, and sometimes find myself missing the iPhone's OS. One thing I do really like with the Droid is the notification drag down menu. Texts/emails/updates/etc all show up there, and it, along with the notification LED, are great.

I don't regret buying the Droid because the improvement in service is great, but if the iPhone does show up on Verizon within the next two years, I'd probably figure out a way to get it.
Greg,
Thanks.
I appreciate.
[Reply]
Titan410 08:14 PM 12-18-2009
Originally Posted by BigAl_SC:
Ok..... You have had your Droid for awhile now. Still happy? recommend now or wait for second generation? Costs? are you getting hit with a lot of data charges after whats included?

I have one renewable now and 2 in feb....
I still love my Droid, even more now that the honeymoon is over.
I have an iPod touch and the on screen keyboard is better on the iPod.
First and foremost, the Droid is a PHONE. It excels at that and is a very cool gadget too that lets you play games and download a lot of neat apps.

In Maryland, AT&T is horrible. iPhone users are always complaining about it,
Verizon is rock solid.
[Reply]
Clampdown 07:59 AM 12-19-2009
I love my Droid. I love the fact that I can easily download songs for free to the phone, as well as other really helpful apps. The navigation has been great and likely wont change phones until the next upgrade comes out.
[Reply]
Titan410 10:52 AM 12-19-2009
Originally Posted by Clampdown:
I love my Droid. I love the fact that I can easily download songs for free to the phone, as well as other really helpful apps. The navigation has been great and likely wont change phones until the next upgrade comes out.
The navigation is amazing! Much better that either of my dedicated GPS units. One is going to eBay ASAP.
[Reply]
Scottastic 01:16 PM 12-23-2009
If you're looking for an Android device on Big Red, take a good hard look at the Eris. I like it better than the Droid, honestly.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:28 PM 01-04-2010
I picked up the Samsung Moment android phone on Sprint today. So far I am loving it.
[Reply]
AD720 01:56 PM 01-05-2010
Nexus One coming to Verizon in Spring 2010. I am now, officially, excited about android.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/v...n-spring-2010/
[Reply]
Resipsa 05:51 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
Nexus One coming to Verizon in Spring 2010. I am now, officially, excited about android.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/v...n-spring-2010/
Was just reading that Andrew. But..........

I was interested and a little disappointed to read that apparently Google has already developed a new version of android for their own device, so soon after the Droid was released. I hope this doesn't mean that in the future they keep the newest and best for themselves, 'cause that's a pretty crappy business practice.

2) Yet another version of Android? So early on the fragmentation of this OS is very alarming to me.
[Reply]
AD720 06:30 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:

I was interested and a little disappointed to read that apparently Google has already developed a new version of android for their own device, so soon after the Droid was released. I hope this doesn't mean that in the future they keep the newest and best for themselves, 'cause that's a pretty crappy business practice.

2) Yet another version of Android? So early on the fragmentation of this OS is very alarming to me.
The way I understand it is that the Nexus One runs Android 2.1. The Droid, currently running 2.0.1 (or something like that), will eventually get an upgrade to 2.1 and the Eris, running 1.6, will follow the same upgrade path 2.0 then 2.1. But that is based on what I've read, not official announcements or anything.
[Reply]
spectrrr 06:36 PM 01-05-2010

maybe I missed that article, but from my brief reading I think thats incorrect. To the best of my knowledge, Nexus 1 is running Android 2.1 which is not a different version of the OS on the droid, its just the latest version of it. The Moto Droid is slated to get the same thing in an update very soon (and certain folks who like to live dangerously have already done it themselves, but its not recommended).

Where are you reading that the OS's are going in different directions?
[Reply]
Resipsa 07:08 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
maybe I missed that article, but from my brief reading I think thats incorrect. To the best of my knowledge, Nexus 1 is running Android 2.1 which is not a different version of the OS on the droid, its just the latest version of it. The Moto Droid is slated to get the same thing in an update very soon (and certain folks who like to live dangerously have already done it themselves, but its not recommended).

Where are you reading that the OS's are going in different directions?
I could have misunderstood what they were saying. But google android and fragmentation.

One example:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...fragmentation/
[Reply]
spectrrr 08:00 PM 01-05-2010
I could have misunderstood what they were saying. But google android and fragmentation.

One example:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...fragmentation/
In a nutshell, it comes down to Mac vs PC.
It's the EXACT same development problems for the phones as it is for the computers.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Apple makes their own hardware and it mostly comes in ONE flavor (well technically three flavors that are merely different varieties of the same flavor - vanilla).... As such it is very easy to develop for the phone, because "the phone" is a known factor in the equation, everyone knows what hardware it's going to be running.

But if you want Chocolate, or Cookie Dough... well thats too bad, since Apple is the only folks that make it and they have chosen to make Vanilla only. Enter Google. Good news: anyone can make the hardware, so you'll see submissions from HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc.... Do you want a physical keyboard? Different camera? Smaller phone? Larger phone? Cheaper phone? NO PROBLEM! You can get any flavor of ice cream you want, from the classic chocolate all the way up to Rocky Road and a dairy-free soy ginger.

And there's where the problems appear: Some apps are allergic to nuts. What worked great with the chocolate........ sent you to the ER with the Rocky Road. And other apps handle nuts fine, but are allergic to ginger. Back to the ER we go.

This "fragmentation" of different options means that for the developers whose apps are inherently allergic to nuts or ginger or whatnot, they then have to figure out how to modify the app to account for that specific issue. As the number of Android handsets grows, so does the number of available flavors and the complexity of the food allergies facing android developers.

That's the simple version. There's plenty of things that "could" be done to help alleviate that problem (but it would NEVER eliminate it)... but since I can say with fair certainty that it will NOT happen that way.... All I can say is comes with the territory. If you want choice in your ice ream flavors, you're going to have to put up with the food allergies or switch to Vanilla.
[Reply]
kgoings 08:09 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
In a nutshell, it comes down to Mac vs PC.
It's the EXACT same development problems for the phones as it is for the computers.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Apple makes their own hardware and it mostly comes in ONE flavor (well technically three flavors that are merely different varieties of the same flavor - vanilla).... As such it is very easy to develop for the phone, because "the phone" is a known factor in the equation, everyone knows what hardware it's going to be running.

But if you want Chocolate, or Cookie Dough... well thats too bad, since Apple is the only folks that make it and they have chosen to make Vanilla only. Enter Google. Good news: anyone can make the hardware, so you'll see submissions from HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc.... Do you want a physical keyboard? Different camera? Smaller phone? Larger phone? Cheaper phone? NO PROBLEM! You can get any flavor of ice cream you want, from the classic chocolate all the way up to Rocky Road and a dairy-free soy ginger.

And there's where the problems appear: Some apps are allergic to nuts. What worked great with the chocolate........ sent you to the ER with the Rocky Road. And other apps handle nuts fine, but are allergic to ginger. Back to the ER we go.

This "fragmentation" of different options means that for the developers whose apps are inherently allergic to nuts or ginger or whatnot, they then have to figure out how to modify the app to account for that specific issue. As the number of Android handsets grows, so does the number of available flavors and the complexity of the food allergies facing android developers.

That's the simple version. There's plenty of things that "could" be done to help alleviate that problem (but it would NEVER eliminate it)... but since I can say with fair certainty that it will NOT happen that way.... All I can say is comes with the territory. If you want choice in your ice ream flavors, you're going to have to put up with the food allergies or switch to Vanilla.

I hate Vanilla...and Apple for that matter. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:11 PM 01-05-2010
No.
[Reply]
Resipsa 08:11 PM 01-05-2010
While not disagreeing entirely with you, it's a little more than Mac v PC, LOL

the wired article makes an interesting analogy between android and java, which developers pretty much despise. Lots of articles out there as to how developers are unhappy and reconsidering whether or not they want to invest the time working with android. Time will tell, but if the developers don't want to work with the os, or choose to ignore it, then google and android will be Palm all over again
[Reply]
spectrrr 08:13 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
No.
I didn't catch that Hugh, why don't you tell us how you really feel! :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 08:21 PM 01-05-2010

the wired article makes an interesting analogy between android and java, which developers pretty much despise. Lots of articles out there as to how developers are unhappy and reconsidering whether or not they want to invest the time working with android. Time will tell, but if the developers don't want to work with the os, or choose to ignore it, then google and android will be Palm all over again
Not a disagreement at all, I was drastically oversimplifying things for the sake of folks that don't understand the techie side of things.

Apple solved the Palm problem with their solution - it was called closed source and closed development. The very nature of a freely modifiable and open development environment creates 90% of the problems in that article. You can't have one without the other. Even though the windows mobile OS was not open source, it was open development and most of the same problems remained.

So to me, it just a modern reworking of the same old tale. The facts are different, the acting and scenery is different, but the plot and punch line appear to be the same.
[Reply]
systm 12:49 AM 01-06-2010

If anything just more like software updates for existing OSes, at least in terms of buggines. I think that when 2.1 and beyond becomes more feature rich, people/corps will drop the UI mods, even though they look great most features are now in by default.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 12
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up