Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 14
« First < 91011 1213 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.
ApexAZ 01:14 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
About the same as smoking pipes and cigars, mebbee. :-)

Don't scour but once. Thereafter, only rinse the lower and rinse and dry-wipe out the upper.
Good point.

I ordered a 3 cup. Target and BBB only had the 6 cup versions. Now to figure out where to get beans and a decent grinder.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 05:55 PM 01-05-2012
After searching for the last few weeks I have finally found a grinder for my moka pot. It did not make any sense to spend 100+$ on one to get the grind I am looking for. I went with a manual ceramic burr grinder made by hario (mini slim) here is a decent video where it shows it being able to pull expresso and just up to a French press. I will post what I think after I get a chance to play with it.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Har...cg11550-40.htm
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 06:15 PM 01-05-2012
Excellent! Keep us informed how it works. I had heard of this one several years ago; was thinking of getting it for camping. Good rep on it.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:33 PM 01-05-2012
I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper. Now to find some good espresso beans. The ones I've been using say they're good for espresso, but not for me. I love it in the FP, so I'll stick with that.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:14 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper. Now to find some good espresso beans. The ones I've been using say they're good for espresso, but not for me. I love it in the FP, so I'll stick with that.
Ain't that the truth Bob! Lots of different Espresso roasts out there to choose from. Always great when you find something that floats your boat:-)

[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:31 PM 01-06-2012
I got my moka pot today. It kind of stunk like metal and grease. Is this normal? I washed it with hot water and dish soap, then boiled up regular water followed by 4 pots of cheap drip coffee. Smells better, but it's not completely gone. Will this eventually go away?
[Reply]
galaga 11:11 AM 01-07-2012
It will eventually go away. Did your brewed coffee smell funny? I would guess it didn't. You might remove your gasket and wash it too. I would think you are good to go after you do that.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:54 AM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
I got my moka pot today. It kind of stunk like metal and grease. Is this normal?
Upon opening my Bialetti 3 cupper, it did not have the smell you're speaking about. But as Dan and Rick have mentioned, a lite wash with some mild detergent to start things off, run a couple of batches through, and the only thing you really need to do after that is simply rinse it with warm water after the pot cools down and towel dry.

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I've dialed it in around 19-20 grams of ground beans works best for me in the three cupper...
I performed a few extra measurements on the 3 cupper. You get about 5oz of water if you fill to the "fill line" in the bottom piece. If your placing approximately 19-21g of finely ground coffee in the filter basket, you will have about 4oz of brewed coffee. The grounds in the filter retain about an ounce of water...

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:20 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
I performed a few extra measurements on the 3 cupper. You get about 5oz of water if you fill to the "fill line" in the bottom piece. If your placing approximately 19-21g of finely ground coffee in the filter basket, you will have about 4oz of brewed coffee. The grounds in the filter retain about an ounce of water...
Yep, that's what I've been finding too.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:33 PM 01-07-2012
Here is my first pot. I used some starbucks house blend since it's all I have for now.

The first latte was pretty tasty. The second, not so much. It was kind of burnt. Is this because I left it in the pot? Should I be pouring it all out immediately?
[Reply]
688sonarmen 03:01 PM 01-07-2012
Brian, I pour mine out as soon as it stops brewing.

Today at the NEX I picked up a can of Cafe Bustelo (expresso) and I have to say it is GREAT the mokapot. Compared to the Lavazza I was using my brew time has gone from 10+ min to about 3 and the flavors from the Bustelo are very good, very complex and sweet and it tasted like I poured some whiskey in the cup. The grind seems to be just right on it.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 03:31 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
Brian, I pour mine out as soon as it stops brewing.

Today at the NEX I picked up a can of Cafe Bustelo (expresso) and I have to say it is GREAT the mokapot. Compared to the Lavazza I was using my brew time has gone from 10+ min to about 3 and the flavors from the Bustelo are very good, very complex and sweet and it tasted like I poured some whiskey in the cup. The grind seems to be just right on it.
What is NEX? I bought some green beans and a whirley-pop, but they won't be here until next week.

I bought a cuisinart grinder for $40. Hoping it will do a decent job.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 04:10 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
What is NEX?
Navy Exchange...
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:41 PM 01-08-2012
Cool thanks. I got some dark roast Sumatra from our local sprouts market and it brewed up great! So glad I found this thread!

By the way, how is the grinder working out? I almost went with a manual before deciding on the cheap electric cuisinart one. How long does it take to grind enough beans to fill the moka pot?
[Reply]
688sonarmen 08:07 PM 01-13-2012
Brian, and everyone else. The Hario is perfect Imho. The grind is right where I want it which is just a tad bigger than an expression grind. It comes completely apart which makes cleaning very easy. The burrs are ceramic and just do a great job. If you are going for a drip grind do not buy it, as the burrs get farther apart the grind becomes inconsistent. As for the time I have a one cupper so I measure 2 tablespoons on the big side and it takes about a min to grind. The hario when unscrewed fits into my basket for my moka so there is very little mess, just a small amount of grounds when I level the basket.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:05 AM 01-14-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
I went with a manual ceramic burr grinder made by hario (mini slim) here is a decent video where it shows it being able to pull expresso and just up to a French press.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Hario-Mini-Mill-Slim-p/scg11550-40.htm

Thanks for the link to the Hario Mini Mill Slim Jake. That looks like a winner to me.

:-)...I love the video too. Those ladies have had one too many shotz of espresso:-)

[Reply]
ApexAZ 05:01 PM 02-01-2012
I have to say, the mokapot is awesome. I get great tasting lattes. I have a system where I make a latte with half, then just make an americano with cream for my second cup.

The $3 frothing wand I bought from Ikea works okay, but I may end up getting a manual pump frother. Or maybe even splurge and get an automatic frothing device.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:01 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Thanks for the link to the Hario Mini Mill Slim Jake. That looks like a winner to me.

:-)...I love the video too. Those ladies have had one too many shotz of espresso:-)

After about a month of use several times a day it still kicks ass:-):-)
[Reply]
DrDubzz 12:05 AM 07-08-2012
I was just given an older bialetti, been trying it out with generally good results, but hadn't read this thread in a couple years. I think I need to back off the heat a bit, pretty sure it's steel
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:37 PM 07-09-2012
Originally Posted by RX2010:
I was just given an older bialetti, been trying it out with generally good results, but hadn't read this thread in a couple years. I think I need to back off the heat a bit, pretty sure it's steel
Never saw one in steel but, either way, you want to brew at lowest possible heat when the flow commences down the post. Try to stretch it out a good 45-seconds until the coffee dribble goes pale then quickly remove from heat.

Brew on my brothers. Can't believe anyone is still reading this post. Nice! :-)
[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 91011 1213 > Last »
Up