Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 57 of 78
« First < 747555657 585967 > Last »
Sports>Official MMA Thread
goalie204 08:43 PM 01-02-2010
called it. Yvel is experienced and good, but dos santos is a young up and coming beast. Cole mIller's inverted triangle sub was awesome too.
[Reply]
TheRealJason 09:34 PM 01-02-2010
Pretty good card so far tonight considering all the replacements. Am I the only cigar lover stuck at home watching?? lol!
[Reply]
TheRealJason 09:35 PM 01-02-2010
Originally Posted by goalie204:
Cole mIller's inverted triangle sub was awesome too.
Yeah it was. He's always fun to watch on the ground. It's amazing what some of these guys can do after getting hit hard and losing their senses. I guess that's why the train...
[Reply]
goalie204 09:46 PM 01-02-2010
awesome ufc so far, every fight. These cards that appear sh1tty are always the best. Except UK ones lol
[Reply]
ActionAndy 10:59 PM 01-02-2010
Ok that was a damn good card. Only two decisions if I recall correctly.

That being said: THIAGO?! FINISH THE FIGHT?! MR. SILVA?!

Yes, I know he was gassed. But he just had to flurry out some limp punches and get the fight stopped. I mean, what was the other option--oh right, letting the judges correctly assign victory to Evans. That would have been the most stylish come back, what with the chin-waving.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:02 PM 01-02-2010
ya
[Reply]
Steelergar 08:24 AM 01-03-2010
I thought Silva punked out Rashad in that 3rd round. I'm sick of seeing these TUF guys play for points instead of blood. Lock these guys in a room and I bet Silva would come out on top.
[Reply]
goalie204 08:45 AM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by Steelergar:
I thought Silva punked out Rashad in that 3rd round. I'm sick of seeing these TUF guys play for points instead of blood. Lock these guys in a room and I bet Silva would come out on top.
how do you he figure "punked" him? He was showboating then finally hit him and didn't capitalize. It went to a decision and Rashad picked Silva apart in the first 2 rounds. Silva could have won in the 3rd if he would have stayed on rashad when he wobbled him, but he didn't, so his bad. If he had enough energy to showboat around like a retard, he could have finished it. No matter how you look at it, Silva did jack **** in the first 2 rounds, Rashad was a better fighter.
[Reply]
Steelergar 02:40 PM 01-03-2010
rashad is a better sport fighter maybee. Thiago's hands were down by his side proving that Rashad is a punk and avoiding the fight in the 3rd round. All of Rashads takedowns amounted to little or no damage and Silva would stand up right away. You get no points for that in my book, or for avoiding the fight. In Japan Silva would have won that fight, especially if there is no cage to pin somebody against and stall the fight. Eventhough Silva didn't finish him you don't win fights by geting punched in the face and getting wobbled.
[Reply]
Steelergar 02:54 PM 01-03-2010
Originally Posted by TheRealJason:
Yeah it was. He's always fun to watch on the ground. It's amazing what some of these guys can do after getting hit hard and losing their senses. I guess that's why the train...
That was a great sub, I love it!
[Reply]
goalie204 04:00 PM 01-03-2010
rashad is a better sport fighter maybee. Thiago's hands were down by his side proving that Rashad is a punk and avoiding the fight in the 3rd round. All of Rashads takedowns amounted to little or no damage and Silva would stand up right away. You get no points for that in my book, or for avoiding the fight. In Japan Silva would have won that fight, especially if there is no cage to pin somebody against and stall the fight. Eventhough Silva didn't finish him you don't win fights by geting punched in the face and getting wobbled.
lololol
[Reply]
zitro_joe 05:15 PM 01-03-2010
I used to loathe seeing your post in this thread, but as of lately - I really look forward to them. Keep it up and do it often! I am a believer:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:26 PM 01-04-2010
A punk for avoiding the fight? lol All the showboating Silva did was prove that Rashad was disciplined and wouldn't get suckered into a slugfest.

Rashad fought a very smart fight. The goal is to win. Don't matter how. If you try to stand-up and brawl with a superior striker, you will likely get beaten down. He learned his lesson well in the Machida fight. Silva couldn't stop from being taken down and did nothing for 2 rounds. This is the first time in all of Rashads UFC fights he didn't go for the KO and his game plan worked perfectly. Silva had him beaten in the 3rd but didn't follow up.

Good show overall. I did think Yvel/Dos Santos was stopped too early though.
[Reply]
goalie204 01:25 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
A punk for avoiding the fight? lol All the showboating Silva did was prove that Rashad was disciplined and wouldn't get suckered into a slugfest.

Rashad fought a very smart fight. The goal is to win. Don't matter how. If you try to stand-up and brawl with a superior striker, you will likely get beaten down. He learned his lesson well in the Machida fight. Silva couldn't stop from being taken down and did nothing for 2 rounds. This is the first time in all of Rashads UFC fights he didn't go for the KO and his game plan worked perfectly. Silva had him beaten in the 3rd but didn't follow up.
exactly.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:35 PM 01-04-2010
The following UFC 108 bonuses were revealed during last night's post-fight press conference:

Fight Of The Night: ($50,000) -- Sam Stout def. Joe Lauzon

Knockout Of The Night ($50,000) -- Paul Daley def. Dustin Hazelett

Submission Of The Night ($50,000) -- Cole Miller def. Dan Lauzon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UFC and M-1 reopen talks; White hopeful for Emelianenko and Mousasi in the UFC

Apparently, the Ultimate Fighting Championship's door hasn't completely closed on notables Fedor Emelianenko and Gegard Mousasi.

Although the M-1 fighters are signed in the U.S. to Strikeforce and past negotiations with the UFC fell apart, UFC president Dana White said he recently reopened talks with M-1 Global boss Vadim Finkelstein.

White wouldn't elaborate on the nature of the discussions, only saying they've taken place "more recently than you would think." But Finkelstein has since confirmed he's entered talks and hopes "fans will be happy this time" with the outcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Toney, yes that James Toney, wants to fight in the UFC!

http://fighthype.com/pages/content6619.html
[Reply]
ActionAndy 03:42 PM 01-04-2010
I'll keep my excitement to a minimum but hopefully M-1 has some realistic expectations this time. I want to see The Emperor reign...
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:19 PM 01-04-2010
Well this didn't long.............. :-)

M-1: "absolutely zero communication with UFC"

It didn't take much for the Fedor Emelianenko discussion to begin again.

With a simple post-UFC 108 statement that he had talked to M-1 Global officials "more recently than you would think," UFC president Dana White set the rumor mill in motion that Emelianenko, and perhaps fellow M-1 fighter Gegard Mousasi, could be on their way to the world's largest MMA promotion.

Today, M-1 Global exec Jerry Millen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that in reality, the two sides were having "absolutely zero communication."

"I called everybody in the company before I made this statement," Millen said. "I called (M-1 Global president) Vadim Finkelchtein and talked to him, and he said, 'Absolutely not. There's no correspondence with the UFC at all.'

"I think Dana, in a fantasy dream he had, he signed Fedor. That's probably the 'more recent than you think.' He's dreaming. He wants Fedor. His heavyweight division is a mess."

With current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar on the shelf indefinitely, Millen believes White may now more than ever see the need to bring Emelianenko, who is a part owner of M-1 Global, into the fold. Millen also contends the UFC could use "The Last Emperor" to help bolster lagging pay-per-view sales.

"The (UFC) pay-per-views aren't doing well," Millen said. "I don't care what anybody says, the numbers that people are reporting the pay-per-views are doing, they're not doing.

"Their pay-per-views are hurting, and for the next couple of pay-per-views, look at the main events. I love the fighters that are fighting, but they're not going to sell a lot of pay-per-views. So Dana has got to stir up controversy or talk it up any way he can."

Millen believes White's vague comments regarding potential communications with M-1 Global may have been a creative attempt to damage the still-developing partnership between the Russian organization, Strikeforce, Showtime and CBS.

"When I saw this coming down, I was like, 'OK, what's going on here? Is this Dana trying to affect our relationship with CBS and Showtime and Strikeforce?'" Millen asked. "We have a great relationship. We're very happy with our partners, and we see a great future with them. But this is a way to undermine somebody.

"If you think somebody isn't fully committed, would you be fully committed? What you do is create doubt, and that's what they're trying to do – create doubt that M-1 is not fully committed. But we are fully committed to Showtime and Strikeforce. It's a great partnership."

That partnership resulted in both Emelianenko and Mousasi fighting on CBS this past November, and the two will likely repeat the process in April. But with Strikeforce and M-1 Global officially tied together for just three fights, could things change some time in 2010?

"You can never say 'Never' in anything," Millen said. "Would I love to see Fedor fight Brock Lesnar? Sure. I'd love to see him smash Lesnar. But it would have to be an M-1/Strikeforce/UFC collaboration, and they're never going to that. They're never going to break their business model. They're just not, unless the fans keep hammering Dana so much that they have to."

White has admitted to offering millions of dollars for Emelianenko's services, and the UFC exec also admitted at this past Saturday's press conference that he was a fan of Mousasi. But Millen said it's going to take more than a large contract to bridge the gap between the two parties.

"Dana wants Emelianenko and Mousasi now, bad, because he needs those guys," Millen said. "They're two of the best fighters in the world. But if things don't go his way, in two months it will be, 'Fedor sucks. He's overrated. He doesn't fight anybody. There's no depth.' Well look, your guys are dropping off, too. He goes back and forth. I think he's bi-polar."

"Money can buy you just about everything but Fedor. That's what Dana is running into. ... Dana White has no clue about the people he's dealing with in M-1. He doesn't know anything about the people in M-1. He doesn't know how to treat them. He doesn't know their background. He doesn't know who they are as people. That's his biggest problem."

Millen said the M-1 Global team, including Emelianenko, is more interested in respect than the amount of zeroes on a paycheck.

"Dana White doesn't respect anybody," Millen said. "He doesn't respect his fighters, I don't feel. He respects Fedor, and then he doesn't respect him. He respects the Russians for a minute, and then he calls them 'The Crazy Russians.' Dana White needs to learn how to respect people. He doesn't treat people very well.

"I just feel he thinks he's at the top of the world, but the people you see going up the ladder are the same ones you see coming back down. It's all about respect."

So according to Millen, the speculation can stop just as quickly as it started. The M-1 Global exec says his company is satisfied with its current partnerships, and their position on key topics such as co-promotion haven't changed.

"We're very happy," Millen said. "Everything with the first event was a great success.

"Dana is grabbing at straws. He wants Fedor so bad he can taste it. ... But as long as M-1 is involved, I'm sure it's always going to be co-promotion. Fedor has been a part of the family. You don't just give your family away. Gegard is an M-1 fighter, as well, and he's right there with Fedor."
[Reply]
kgoings 06:24 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:

Good show overall. I did think Yvel/Dos Santos was stopped too early though.
:-)

Rashad had a game plan and wasn't going to get suckered into a slugfest. You could say Silva was avoiding the fight by getting up every time he was taken down. Rashad was very disciplined and fought his game plan, he won the fight and Tiago did a whole lot of nothing up until he got in his one good punch.

I thought Rashad was done in the 3rd, but Tiago didn't take advantage.
[Reply]
zitro_joe 08:06 PM 01-04-2010
I thing there is 10% truth to what Dana says. I never believe anything Jerry Millen says, never. He announced that they would let fedor fight for free in the UFC. Yeah, right.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:02 AM 01-05-2010
Melvin Manhoef confirmed for “Strikeforce: Miami”

The most devastating knockout artist in the brief history of the sport is all set to make his promotional debut with Strikeforce in Miami.

FiveOuncesofPain.com has recently confirmed that Melvin Manhoef will be making his Strikeforce debut during “Strikeforce: Miami” through sources close to the fighter.

Manhoef will be throwing down for the first time under the Strikeforce banner during “Strikeforce: Miami”, which is set for January 30 from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, and will air live on Showtime, along with The Super Channel in Canada.

No opponent has been named for Manhoef as of this writing, but stay tuned to 5 Oz. as we continue to keep you up to date on everything “Strikeforce: Miami”.

The appropriately nicknamed “No Mercy” is widely regarded to be the most ferocious knockout artist the sport has ever seen, with twenty three of his twenty-four victories being finished by either KO or TKO. Manhoef has won seven of his last nine bouts, with his most recent victory coming over the highly regarded Kazuo Misaki during the year end “Dynamite!! 2009″ card.
[Reply]
Page 57 of 78
« First < 747555657 585967 > Last »
Up