Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Stupid Cigar Questions?
LostAbbott 03:28 PM 10-01-2010
I thought I would start a post about stupid cigar questions at least ones that I have and think are probably stupid.

Is there any harm to pre cutting your cigars?

I would never do that as I like cutting them as I am about to smoke them, but I could see some one going through and cutting all their cigars in their traveldor say before they get on a plane and can't bring their cutter or something.

Has anyone tried breaking up a cigar and smoking the tobacco in their pipe?

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Darrell 03:29 PM 10-01-2010
No harm at all.

and I've never tried your second question.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:30 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
I thought I would start a post about stupid cigar questions at least ones that I have and think are probably stupid.

Is there any harm to pre cutting your cigars?

No.

I would never do that as I like cutting them as I am about to smoke them, but I could see some one going through and cutting all their cigars in their traveldor say before they get on a plane and can't bring their cutter or something.

Has anyone tried breaking up a cigar and smoking the tobacco in their pipe?
Yes. It doesn't taste as good.
:-):-):-)
:-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 03:32 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
No harm at all.

I figured not, as everyone here is a total bad ass about any questions/help but I did want to let people know this was a little tongue and cheek and maybe get some other questions flowing.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 03:36 PM 10-01-2010
Emjaysmash-

Have you ever pre cut your cigars? Maybe you were board and wanted to go beyond humidor Tetris? Or Jenga in my experience.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:37 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
Emjaysmash-

Have you ever pre cut your cigars? Maybe you were board and wanted to go beyond humidor Tetris? Or Jenga in my experience.
I have precut them. Mostly cigars I was going to smoke but put back in the humi because they were plugged or for some reason or another I didn't smoke them.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 03:54 PM 10-01-2010
No such thing as a "stupid" cigar question. We're all in various stages of learning all there is to know about this great obsession of ours. :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 04:36 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
No such thing as a "stupid" cigar question. We're all in various stages of learning all there is to know about this great obsession of ours. :-)
:-) Even though I have been smoking for a long time I enjoy these threads because it's not unusual to learn something that I may not of ever gave any thought to or thought to ask. Keep them coming.
[Reply]
smelvis 04:53 PM 10-01-2010
I have pre cut like at the beach or taking walks on vacation when I didn't want to carry much with me.

I don't smoke a pipe though I have a kick ass shell and silver pipe from Tambota National tabacco!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:05 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by smelvis:
I have pre cut like at the beach or taking walks on vacation when I didn't want to carry much with me.

I don't smoke a pipe though I have a kick ass shell and silver pipe from Tambota National tabacco!
Lol I have the Tambo pipe tobacco that goes with the pipe, but not the pipe unfortunately.
[Reply]
smelvis 05:14 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Lol I have the Tambo pipe tobacco that goes with the pipe, but not the pipe unfortunately.
Yeah I bough some of the tobacco with hopes of trying it out, not a piper yet, I also send some to the troops but many don't smoke pipes so it's been hard find any that do.

The pipes Beautiful I hear it can get hot with the silver.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:17 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by smelvis:
Yeah I bough some of the tobacco with hopes of trying it out, not a piper yet, I also send some to the troops but many don't smoke pipes so it's been hard find any that do.

The pipes Beautiful I hear it can get hot with the silver.
Yeah, I've only sent pipe tobacco to the troops once, because I didn't know whether or not there were troops who smoked pipes.

And I heard that about the pipe as well. Shell and silver are not good insulators of heat.

Anyway, I'll stop thread jacking! :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 05:32 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
:-) One thing you will find is that no matter how much you learn there is always something new or a new perspective that you find. That is one of the wonders of this obsession, it is a constant learning process.

I have precut cigars if I dont feel like taking a cutter with me. Sometimes its easier just to grab a cigar and smoke and not have to break out a cutter. Putting a cut cigar that you have not lit back into the humidor is not a problem and is often done if you find one with a difficult draw. :-)
[Reply]
acarr 05:35 PM 10-01-2010
How about some more stupid cigar questions. Does anyone bite off the tip like Clint Eastwood? I do when it takes me more than 3 minutes to find a cutter.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:38 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by acarr:
How about some more stupid cigar questions. Does anyone bite off the tip like Clint Eastwood? I do when it takes me more than 3 minutes to find a cutter.
Yes sir! I only need 2 minutes before using the teeth!

MCS
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 05:40 PM 10-01-2010
I used to precut cigars when I smoked every day in the car. Never caused a problem. Long-term, you may get some unraveling, especially if your humidity fluctuates very much.

MCS
[Reply]
Nickerson 05:55 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
No harm at all.

Actually, over time as the cigar hydras it, the wrapper may naturally begin to unravel. This is why cigars come with caps and aren't pre-cut. Though you can find some lower-end cigars that come pre-punched.

I save cutting until the time comes to smoke. If for some reason you cannot smoke the cigar after you cut, you should be fine for a few weeks. Just over time it may come undone.
[Reply]
DGK 05:56 PM 10-01-2010
This may or may not be a stupid question, but since the answers abound...

I've seen boxes and bundles of un-banded seconds for sale at some of the online cigar retailers, and was wondering about the overall stability of the cigars. Are they likely to unravel, or will they hold together without the bands?
[Reply]
awsmith4 06:02 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by DGK:
This may or may not be a stupid question, but since the answers abound...

I've seen boxes and bundles of un-banded seconds for sale at some of the online cigar retailers, and was wondering about the overall stability of the cigars. Are they likely to unravel, or will they hold together without the bands?
Bands are for decorative purposes only, some of the finest cigars come unbanded. What you may have to worry about with seconds is quality issues of the cigar itself. Sometimes they re seconds due to minor visual imperfections, sometimes due to construction issues.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:13 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by Nickerson:
Actually, over time as the cigar hydras it, the wrapper may naturally begin to unravel.
:-)

Not if you don't cut the entire cap off. I have several 20+ year old cigars that were cut many years ago. Anyone here will tell you that if you cut a cigar and it's too tight, put it back for another 6-12 months and try again. I've probably got a box or so that have been cut but were too tight. Since I didn't cut the cap completely off, they will be fine for how ever they long they are in the humidor.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up