Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Viaje, School Me
s15driftking 08:59 PM 09-27-2010
Hello guys,

I have heard a lot of great reviews on Viaje's cigars. I did a search and was not able to turn up the "back story" as well as other desired info on the brand. I'm interested in learning more about them as they do look tempting.

What's this big craze about these cigars? A year ago I had not heard anything about the brand.

How long have they been around?
Who's brand is it? Who blends them?
Are they worth their pricetag?
My perception is that they are hard to come by, are they on very limited release?

Thank you all very much in advance.

- Bobby

:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:08 PM 09-27-2010
How long have they been around? - Don't know.
Who's brand is it? Who blends them? Andre Farkas owns the brand. Tabacalera Tropical in Nicaragua blends them.
Are they worth their pricetag? Some are. Others aren't.
My perception is that they are hard to come by, are they on very limited release? Very limited. It is pretty annoying.
[Reply]
warren G. 09:12 PM 09-27-2010
Some of the best cigars I've smoke in recent memory. Sucks they're limited as hell tho :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 09:22 PM 09-27-2010
Dealers are limited but if you have one local they seem to spread the wealth of the rare lines to all of their dealers so if you have a local that carries them chances are you will find what you need if you act fast. What your local charges and how honest they keep the pricing is another story. If I recall you don't like Tatuaje because of all the limited releases and the difficulty of obtaining some of those lines and the pricing associated with them so you may find the same hatred you have for Tatuaje in Viaje. :-)
[Reply]
Goldie 09:36 PM 09-27-2010
The one that I smoked I really enjoyed, but thanks to a fine BOTL here I have a couple extras waiting to be smoked.

On a side note, my local use to carry Viaje's, but I was talking to the owner and he said there was a significant price increase so he ended up dropping the line. He said that the cigars are hit and miss, but the particular one's that are on are ON. But he thought the new price increase sort of ruined the cigar for him.

Take that for what it's worth I suppose. But Viaje's for me are 1 for 1.
[Reply]
nick2021 11:46 PM 09-27-2010
I would love to try one, being out here though may be hard to do until I re-deploy back home. will have to wait until then :-)
[Reply]
Ratters 12:33 AM 09-28-2010
I've had three. Hated every one of them.
[Reply]
sikk50 12:41 AM 09-28-2010
I've had one and agree with Steve
[Reply]
Dunkel 02:57 AM 09-28-2010
I've smoked the Platino, Oro, 50/50, DES and Satori and enjoyed all of them. The DES was kind of a let down flavor wise, but still tasty. Overall IMHO the cigars are great and well constructed. Yeah they have limited releases like Tats, but at least their wrappers don't explode when the wind blows in the wrong direction.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:05 AM 09-28-2010
The DES was the best smoke that I have had in a loooong time.
All there great cigars are very limited, which sucks.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 08:57 AM 09-28-2010
The regular lines are very good IMO (Oro, Platino, 50/50). The limited stuff has been hit or miss for me. I loved the Holiday Blend. The TnT and Summerfest were OK at best, but I would not shell out that much cash for them. The 50/50 Red and the Satori are great. The reservas were very good, as was the limited edition perfecto. The exclusivo was OK or maybe even good, but again, not worth the price in my book.

One comment on the limited editions they are coming out with...it is frustrating as hell to smoke a cigar that you love, only to not be able to get them anymore. If Viaje made the Holiday Blend, for example, as a regular production line, they could sell them like nobody's business. I don't understand trying to keep your business small. Pepin has been able to sell millions of cigars and keep the quality high....so it can be done.
[Reply]
Nickerson 10:38 AM 09-28-2010
I've yet to try one, but have heard a lot of talk about them in the past few months.
[Reply]
KidRock 11:37 AM 09-28-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
I've had one and agree with Steve
+1
[Reply]
JJG 12:53 PM 09-28-2010
I got a free one from the Oro line courtesy of my local b&m owner. I thought it was pretty good, but a little boring. Then I saw what they want for them, which was way too much in my opinion. However, I have not tried any of the limited releases which seem to get the most attention around here.
[Reply]
Brooks W 01:34 PM 09-28-2010
The Regular lines are mostly crap, and the LEs are mostly good (with some crap, and a few great).

~brooks
[Reply]
Darrell 01:38 PM 09-28-2010
I have found most Viaje to be crap.
[Reply]
Pat1075 01:59 PM 09-28-2010
I have enjoyed what i've had but have been soured by trying to find them. Also when we tried to carry them we made repeated attempts to contact them many successful and they repeatedly dropped the ball. It is as if they don't want people to carry their line.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:06 PM 09-28-2010
Originally Posted by Pat1075:
Also when we tried to carry them we made repeated attempts to contact them many successful and they repeatedly dropped the ball. It is as if they don't want people to carry their line.
Maybe that's the real reason they're tough to find.
[Reply]
lyle23 02:21 PM 09-28-2010
i was given one by a fellow BOTL, thanx chingas as always you the man, and i found it to be quite enjoyable. i do not know which one it was that he gave me though, soo i may not be much help. i remember it maintaining a nice even burn, held its ash well, and the flavor was consistant thru out. i do not know how much they go for but i would give another one a try.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:23 PM 09-28-2010
This is one where I can say that I have been really impressed with each Viaje that I have smoked (Oro, Platino, Holiday Blend, 50/50, Skull N Bones, Oro Reserva, Exclusivo OR, Satori, Summerfest, TNT, Double Edged Sword). The Holiday Blend is one of my top three sticks EVER!! The only one that disappointed me was the Exclusivo OR from the "pickle jar". While they are mid to highly priced...I believe the quality of the sticks are well worth it...when you can find them. I am lucky enough to live near a B&M that carries them. In the latest issue of Cigar Press, they interview Andre Farkas and he talks about the limited batches of sticks that he releases...was very interesting. :-)

I gotta agree that if he released the Holiday Blend as a regular release...they would sell like hotcakes.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up