Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>601 Blue reblend?
BigCat 09:53 AM 09-23-2010
I stopped in a local B&M yesterday to pick up a couple 601 blue lables, as I was considering buying a box and wanted to smoke a couple more before committing. They were cleaned out. I asked the guy running the shop when they would get more in - he said the line was done, that they were being renamed and repackaged, and that the blend was being changed. He said it was being made milder. That was the first I'd heard of this. I knew there was a merger with Rocky Patel and EO, but I thought blends were supposed to remain unchanged. I googled it today and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOfn1Xvj1s

Rocky says the blue label isn't changing. I don't think he'd be the first cigar maker to claim a blend was the same when it wasn't. Has anyone heard anything else on this, one way or the other? I'd be pretty disappointed if they reblended these.
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:55 AM 09-23-2010
Somewhere, a single tear is rolling down Macs cheek!
[Reply]
E.J. 09:57 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by BigCat:
I'd be pretty disappointed if they reblended these.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:00 AM 09-23-2010
Haven't heard a thing about a re-blend.
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:00 AM 09-23-2010
Not sure about the Blue but my local B&M said the 601 Black is going to be discontinued and this makes me sad because I love the Black label.

Edit: Greg my local rep said that Rocky bought EO???
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:05 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
Not sure about the Blue but my local B&M said the 601 Black is going to be discontinued and this makes me sad because I love the Black label.

Edit: Greg my local rep said that Rocky bought EO???
Sorry, you are both correct. I missed that. He did acquire 50% of EO Brands. Let's hope they don't move away from Don Pepin.
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:05 AM 09-23-2010
Noooooooooooooooo!
[Reply]
bishjd123 10:08 AM 09-23-2010
I seem to remember something about the Red being reblended to make it a bit stronger, but the blue and green were to remain unchanged.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:08 AM 09-23-2010
Eddie told us on his forum that he isn't changing the blends. Check out: http://forum.eobrands.com
[Reply]
gmiranda33 10:32 AM 09-23-2010
The black was discontined. The Red, Green & Blue are getting a new band and box, but the blends are remaining the same. And yes Pepin is still making them.
[Reply]
BigCat 10:48 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Eddie told us on his forum that he isn't changing the blends. Check out: http://forum.eobrands.com
Thanks, I'll check that forum out.

Originally Posted by gmiranda33:
The black was discontined. The Red, Green & Blue are getting a new band and box, but the blends are remaining the same. And yes Pepin is still making them.
Rocky said in the video link I posted that the red was changing, but that the blue and green were not.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:17 AM 09-23-2010
I also heard that the Blue wasn't changing blends at all...only the labels were supposed to be changed. I'll be really upset if these change...might have to hoard the 2 boxes I have now and start looking for some more NOW!!! :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:09 PM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by BigCat:
Thanks, I'll check that forum out.
It is a pretty cool board. You get points for participating and you can cash the points in for 601 and Cubao cigars :-)
[Reply]
JJG 12:21 PM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by gmiranda33:
The Red, Green & Blue are getting a new band and box, but the blends are remaining the same. And yes Pepin is still making them.
Thank God they are leaving the reds alone, as they are one of my all time favorite cigars. but damn, the Black labels I've smoked were excellent too.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:36 PM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by JJG:
Thank God they are leaving the reds alone, as they are one of my all time favorite cigars. but damn, the Black labels I've smoked were excellent too.
I am going to miss the black labels. I might have to buy a box to stock up.
[Reply]
pinotguy 12:42 PM 09-23-2010
The Red is getting tweaked slightly. I believe they are going to try and make it just a little more full-bodied.

Just as important, their other brands (especially the Cubao) will remain unchanged. It is unfortunate the Black is going away. Maybe Pepin will introduce another brand that uses the CT. Shade capa (here's hoping anyway).
[Reply]
neoflex 01:56 PM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Sorry, you are both correct. I missed that. He did acquire 50% of EO Brands. Let's hope they don't move away from Don Pepin.
That can't be good. Sorry to any Rocky lovers out there but I am not much of a fan.
[Reply]
T.G 02:23 PM 09-23-2010
I heard they were coming out with a candela with a fuchsia band! But it was only going to be sold in states that had an odd number of letters in their names! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:02 PM 09-23-2010
I loves me some 601 Red, Blue, and Green, and I loves me some Cubaos. I hope none of them change. Black can go away, no loss there IMO.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 04:36 PM 09-23-2010
Eddie himself says the Red label will be changed slightly to give it a more full-bodied profile in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3z2TUezJ8I&NR=1

Eddie has also said the Blue and Green and his other cigars will not change at all besides the packaging/bands. However, I am very skeptical of this in the long term as EO's agreement with Pepin Garcia will only last so long. Pepin does not work with Rocky Patel and the blending/making he does for EO will only last until their current agreement expires IMO.

It is too bad because I really enjoy the Blues and the Murcielagos.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up