Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>Removing rust from stainless fridge
kydsid 02:00 PM 12-15-2009
I just noticed some rust on the stainless fridge. I guess the last time I wiped the exterior down I left it a little too wet and it spotted and rusted.

Any suggestions for a product to remove the rust with and to protect the stainless after the fact?
[Reply]
N2Advnture 02:37 PM 12-15-2009
Try WD-40 (I know that the mfg uses it to clean adhesive film from the protective covering with it and it protects as well)

~M
[Reply]
JaKaacH 02:53 PM 12-15-2009
Flitz works great.
http://www.flitz.com/p-42-stainless-...iance-kit.aspx
[Reply]
T.G 03:48 PM 12-15-2009
Hate to break it to you, but stainless steel can't rust.

I have no idea what you might be seeing, or if the refrigerator is truly stainless steel, so I would just recommend a non-abrasive stainless cleaner which you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot in the appliances dept.
[Reply]
JE3146 04:20 PM 12-15-2009
I use Bar Keeper's Friend on my stainless cookware.

Takes stuff off easily.

:-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 04:21 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:

I have no idea what you might be seeing, or if the refrigerator is truly stainless steel, so I would just recommend a non-abrasive stainless cleaner which you can buy at places like Lowe's and Home Depot in the appliances dept.
It can't?? :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:28 PM 12-15-2009
Some kinds of stainless rusts lightly. I might just try a mild abrasive kitchen cleaner on a sponge.
[Reply]
markem 04:29 PM 12-15-2009
true stainless steel doesn't rust, but you will find that many (most?) stainless steel appliances are subject to some rusting, which says something for the quality of the stainless steel.

Check around, but I recall that baking soda is a good cleaner. Also, check your owner's manual to see if you should be doing some periodic maintenance to keep the rust away.

The problem is common enough that places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell products to clean the rust without damaging the surface (as long as you are careful).
[Reply]
bobarian 04:33 PM 12-15-2009
That's why they call it a Stainless Steel "Finish" A thin coat of wax should slow the rust powder which tends to form after cleaning. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 04:35 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
Don't know what you're thinking, but Stainless Steel rusts all the time.

It's stain-LESS, not stain-PROOF.

Here's a link that should help ya out, Sid -

Rust and Kitchen Stainless Steel

I always laugh when I hear people say Stainless doesn't rust. :-)
[Reply]
markem 04:39 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Sorry, you should read your own link. It explicitly states (correctly) that the stainless steel isn't rusting but that rust is being transferred to it.

Why does rust form on stainless steel?
The kitchen is an ideal place for rust to form; that is one of the reasons many kitchens feature stainless steel appliances, pans, and utensils. However, there are some items in the kitchen that are not made of stainless steel. In the example above, the rust stain was left by a cast iron pan. By leaving a wet cast iron or steel pan in contact with a stainless steel sink, the ideal conditions are created for the pan to rust and stain the sink.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:39 PM 12-15-2009
Don't know what you're thinking, but Stainless Steel rusts all the time.

It's stain-LESS, not stain-PROOF.

Here's a link that should help ya out, Sid -

Rust and Kitchen Stainless Steel

The first line of the article reads "...stainless steel rarely rusts." It goes on to say how most rust is caused by secondary transfer stains not the actual surface rusting. My stainless steel sink is 8 yrs old with no rust.

Doh, Mark types faster than me!
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 04:40 PM 12-15-2009
From http://www.ssina.com/faq/index.html#2

Originally Posted by :
3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.
Whoa, multi-simultaneous post!
[Reply]
Starscream 04:43 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
true stainless steel doesn't rust, but you will find that many (most?) stainless steel appliances are subject to some rusting, which says something for the quality of the stainless steel.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:43 PM 12-15-2009
According to this site, the rust is from contamination on the surface.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:44 PM 12-15-2009
Ain't the internets informative? :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 04:50 PM 12-15-2009
What is a STAIN?? Do tell.

Because STEEL will STAIN and OXIDIZE no matter WHAT it is called.

As I said, and as you fail to realize, Stainless is NOT STAINPROOF.

Here you go -

Stainless steel does not stain, corrode, or rust as easily as ordinary steel (it stains less, but it is not stain-proof).

So what do we mean when we say that stainless steel is stainless? Does that mean if we spill our coffee on it that it won't stain? Not exactly. The name gets it origin from the fact that stainless steel corrodes or rusts less easily than ordinary steel. In this article we'll look into the chemistry behind stainless steel and find out what makes it stainless.

WAIT!!!

WHAT WAS THAT???

stainless steel corrodes or rusts less easily than ordinary steel

LINK

Sit down before you hurt yourself.

""True stainless doesn't rust"" :-):-):-)
[Reply]
1badhog07 04:51 PM 12-15-2009
See jason what you started..
[Reply]
Starscream 04:52 PM 12-15-2009
Sit down before you hurt yourself.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:54 PM 12-15-2009
Gives Gunny Segway a Mommys Little Helper...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up