Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 45 of 159
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
CigarNut 09:44 AM 03-23-2010
Need some recommendations... I am going on a 15 day cruise and want to take some books with me. Right now I have Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

I like epic fantasy (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, etc.), science fiction (Heinlein, Asimov, Card, Brin) fantasy (McAffery, Card, Butcher). (Basically, I read for escape and entertainment, not education.)

The catch is that any recommendations need to be available on the Kindle.

Thanks!
[Reply]
MortonMilo 09:53 AM 03-23-2010
The Big Short. Just a so-so read, but worth it if you're looking to pass some time.
[Reply]
shooter21489 10:54 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Need some recommendations... I am going on a 15 day cruise and want to take some books with me. Right now I have Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

I like epic fantasy (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, etc.), science fiction (Heinlein, Asimov, Card, Brin) fantasy (McAffery, Card, Butcher). (Basically, I read for escape and entertainment, not education.)

Thanks!
Ender's Game. Not sure if you've read it, or if it's on the Kindle, but I absolutely loved it, and I'm into about the same genres as you.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:42 AM 03-23-2010
Written on The Body - Jeanette Winterson
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:49 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by shooter21489:
Ender's Game. Not sure if you've read it, or if it's on the Kindle, but I absolutely loved it, and I'm into about the same genres as you.
Thanks for the response!

I have read all of the Ender books (Ender's Game was the best). I loved the series and have read most everything that Card has written.
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:09 PM 03-23-2010
Water for Elephants.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Neuromancer 03:05 PM 03-23-2010
The Sword Of Honor Trilogy by Evelyn Waugh
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 06:57 PM 03-23-2010
Reading Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn. Yet another great book so far.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:26 PM 03-23-2010
I just now finished Star Wars Darth Bane Rule of Two!!!

Very good series!!!

[Reply]
jaydub13 08:32 PM 03-23-2010
Just finished The Stranger, by Camus.

For lighter reading, I love anything by Ludlum for a trip, or anything by Lawrence Block. Interesting, easy reads.
[Reply]
jledou 06:27 AM 03-24-2010

Thanks!
I would suggest Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. Both are good scifi IMO there are two more that jump time ahead in the series and they are the Dreaming Void and the Temporal Void with a new one coming in August.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:42 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by jledou:
I would suggest Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. Both are good scifi IMO there are two more that jump time ahead in the series and they are the Dreaming Void and the Temporal Void with a new one coming in August.
Thanks for the suggestion!
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 05:01 PM 03-24-2010
Just started Necroscope:Resurgence by Brian Lumley. Only 50 pages in or so and already getting good.
[Reply]
Poronico 11:05 PM 03-24-2010

Thanks!
R.A Salvatore Drizzt Do'Urden series is fantastic if you like fantasy.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:18 PM 03-24-2010
The morning newspaper. :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:45 AM 03-25-2010
Finished the 1st book in the Left Behind series.
It was the fastest that I have ever read a book = 3 days!
Great read!!!!
[Reply]
Walt 07:30 AM 03-25-2010

Thanks!
I read Mistborn recently and thought it was good. I struggled a little with the second book but the third more than made up for it. If you haven't read it yet, I'd suggest Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, and Assassin's Quest). I thought it was fantastic, my favorite series to date. I'm not sure that it meets your epic requirement because the danger is the destruction on one land, not the entire world (at least not in this series anyway).
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:27 AM 03-25-2010

Thanks!
I know some people hate this series, but I went from R.A. Salvatore to Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I would recommend it. Sadly, I haven;t read much fantasy since I got to college. I'd second the Drizzt series like The Dark Elf Trilogy, or The Icewind Dale Trilogy.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:11 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by Walt:
I read Mistborn recently and thought it was good. I struggled a little with the second book but the third more than made up for it. If you haven't read it yet, I'd suggest Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, and Assassin's Quest). I thought it was fantastic, my favorite series to date. I'm not sure that it meets your epic requirement because the danger is the destruction on one land, not the entire world (at least not in this series anyway).
Maybe I used the wrong word when I said "epic" -- what I meant to say is a complex tale usually taking more than one book to complete.

Anyway, I checked out the Farseer Trilogy and have downloaded it to my Kindle. Thanks for the tip!
[Reply]
Darrell 10:13 AM 03-25-2010
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
[Reply]
Page 45 of 159
« First < 35434445 46475595145 > Last »
Up