Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Villiger export
Don Fernando 11:14 AM 09-19-2010
An Australian friend gave me a tin of Swiss machine made cigars made my Villiger. These Villiger Export special edition tins with a print of the Matterhorn mountain contain 6 paper wrapped and box pressed cigars. On the inside of the lid it says "Villiger Export - Simply good tobacco. Each cigar is enriched with fine Cuban tobacco and wrapped in high quality natural leaf from Sumatra. From this unmistakable combination each Villiger Export gets its special character. Therefore we guarantee with our name" in both English, French and German.

When I unwrap the cigar from the paper I see a nice medium brown, veiny but oily wrapper. The cigar has a strong peppery wood smell, a bit like some roll it yourself tobacco. The predraw is fine and tastes like tobacco. The cigar doesn't have a band.

I taste a bitter coffee flavor but the bitterness fades away quickly. After half an inch I taste cardboard which is a little acidic.

After ⅓ the acidic flavor is gone and the cardboard is getting spicy. Halfway the cigar turns harsh and nasty. Soon after that I taste herbs, but still harsh and bitter.

This short cigar lasted me about 20 minutes and I don't think I could have handled it much longer anyway. The draw is good and I can't complain about the amount of smoke either. The ash is frayed and has a salt & pepper color. The burn is good too. This short smoke is full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? BLEGH!!!

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 4 / 10
[Reply]
AD720 11:21 AM 09-19-2010
Agreed Ferdie, that was one of the least liked cigars that I have ever smoked. I's sure some folks like them, but not me.
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:25 AM 09-19-2010
I've had the maduro version...and BLEGH!! was dead on!!! :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 11:35 AM 09-19-2010
Although they look the same, these must be different than the one's in the US. Your description said it Cuban tobacco. I'm not a big fan of them, but I'd much rather have one of these over a Phillie or Tampa Nugget.:-)

As always, thanks for the review!:-)
[Reply]
Volt 02:20 PM 09-19-2010
Nice review, and just think.... you have 5 more to smoke :-)
[Reply]
CEC_Tech 02:30 PM 09-19-2010
I think the sticker on the front of the tin says it all. except they should change it to...."This cigar smoke is toxic".
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:24 PM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by Volt:
Nice review, and just think.... you have 5 more to smoke :-)
or to give away!
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:41 PM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
or to give away!
Just don't bring 'em to Epic III. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:07 PM 09-19-2010
Why not? Volt is coming, right?
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:08 PM 09-19-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Why not? Volt is coming, right?
:-) :-) :-)

Not sure if Volt and Tbone are gonna make it or not. Tbone has surgery scheduled the week before, so I know he's out. Not sure about Mike.
[Reply]
Up