Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton VSG Enchantment
RRocket 11:53 PM 09-17-2010
My mom sent me this cigar (thanks mom!), so I decided to light it up after an amazing dinner with my lovely at Mezzo, a local Italian restaurant (http://www.mezzo.ca/) For the record, she smoked a Oliva Series G Special G.

The cigar itself is beautiful to behold. 4.38" X 60. It's oddly shaped (Perfecto? Figurado?), but has tremendous charm and plenty of character because of this. The construction was flawless, and the wrapper beautiful with a slightly oily sheen. I prefer a large gauge cigar, and the 60 gauge at the fattest part feels great between the fingers.

I clipped it with my Xikar cutter, and sampled the draw, which was very nice. Not too easy, nor too firm. The pre-light tastes was typical dark cigar tobacco, though a very slight sweetness to it.

Since the tip is so small, there wasn't much to toast or light for that matter. It lit up easy. Within a minute, the cigar starts delivering cocoa and slightly burnt/dark coffee taste, with an earthy, leather taste thrown into the mix. It's very pleasing, especially after my large meal. Smoke is thick right off the bat (see 2nd pic) and remains thick throughout.

This smoke is SMOOTH and medium body, and has such a great mouthfeel I almost want to "chew" the smoke. The cocoa/chocolate theme continues, but after the first third it gets slightly more peppery. Not enough to overpower the sublime cocoa taste, but enough to let you know it's there. It's not the most complex cigar, but the flavors and their transitions are great.

Midway through, I detect a taste I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. It's only slight, but it's there. This is not a bad thing, as it gets me to really concentrate on my palate. I think I'm tasting raisins, and at other moments I think it may be a slight touch of anise. Either way it's a pleasing (though very understated) addition to this delicious stick.

The final third continues the same flavor profile, but with a bit more intensity...not much. Just a really enjoyable cigar, one I wished would continue long into the night. Sadly, it lasted only a bit over an hour.

I would most definitely smoke another, and recommend you give this stick a try. I think this is one of my favorite cigars I've smoked in some time......

[Reply]
bigdix 01:59 AM 09-18-2010
Nice Review! The VSG is one of my favorite NC smokes for sure, though I usually reach for an Illusion or a Tres Mystique....the blend is always quite nice, though. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:00 AM 09-18-2010
Great Review!!
VSG is one of my favorites and this size is as well.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 05:02 AM 09-18-2010
Great review!! VSG is my favorite!
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 09:16 AM 09-18-2010
Yep. Mom can certainly pick 'em. Nicely done.
[Reply]
alwayslit 09:23 AM 09-18-2010
Nice review. VSG's are a beautiful smoke.
[Reply]
RustyShackleford 09:24 AM 09-18-2010
Thanks for the review.

I have liked the VSGs I have smoked so far but I have never had that one, I guess Ill have to give that one a try.
[Reply]
STEVE S 10:30 AM 09-18-2010
Thanks for the review, nice to include a few pictures too.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 10:33 AM 09-18-2010
Nice review of a very nice stick!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 11:41 AM 09-18-2010
I've never had an Enchantment, but have been enchanted by every VSG I've been fortunate enough to smoke. I just wish I could afford to buy them! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:31 PM 09-18-2010
Great review...I better it tasted even better knowing that mom grabbed it for ya. :-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 01:05 PM 09-18-2010
Thanks for a great review. I think these are my favorite VSG as well. Your review made me go look up and see if I still had any in my humi and thankfully I do. Your mom has some good taste.
[Reply]
RRocket 01:11 PM 09-18-2010
The funny part (or fortunate part?) is I asked her to send me a couple of NUBS. When she heard "nub", she thought small, stubby cigar not realizing that NUB was a brand.

So that's how I ended up with the Enchantment and few little Oliva Special Gs....

Go Mom!!!
[Reply]
rogerdodger 10:52 AM 09-20-2010
Your Mom Rocks,

My mom tells me i'll look like Roger Ebert if i keep smoking
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:58 AM 09-20-2010
nicely done mom.

i had one of these the other day. good stick but i like the illusion size better.
[Reply]
Up