Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Davidoff Puro d'Oro Sublimes
DBall 09:38 AM 09-14-2010

Great draw... lit it up and the first blast was, of course, classic NC Davidoff grassiness. It's not a bad thing, and it's nowhere near as potent as that of fresh Mill Blends.

There's something behind it, but I can't be certain of what because of the grassiness... I'd say there's a hint of cocoa in there, though, with some degree of certainty…

...Ohhh... about 1/2 inch in, the grassiness has faded to the background giving way to a smooooooooooooth creaminess. As an aside, this is the perfect size for me.

Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I just finished an RA Lusitaino (Portugal RE), so this is not my first cigar of the day.

A hard pull brings about flavors of cracker, some undefined spice and that undertone of grassiness (which, in this blend, is quite nice).

A slow, small pull shows very little... this cigar's tempo is certainly not the slow, small draw.

Into the second third, the creamy grassiness persists and, again, is still quite nice. Long pulls bring forth that cocoa and a flavor I can't quite pinpoint. Whatever it is, it's fantastic. I REALLY enjoy this cigar so far.

Cigars like this make me think I have a very limited palate. Damn... this is a good cigar. If they were more affordable, there would be boxes upon boxes in my collection.

The tempo of the cigar at the final third seems to have become a bit slower as a huge draw is spicier than it should be. The slow pull brings about the same flavors as the long one at this point... along with a strong spiciness.

The slower the pull, the less spice comes out

Man... this is a good cigar. Have I said that before? I think I might have. Oh well... it's a damned good cigar. I really wish I made this my first cigar of the day at this point.

I'm at the end of this cigar and the spice is starting to kinda burn my lips, but this cigar isn't being put down yet. It's nubworthy, and will be treated as such.

Some side notes, the draw and burn have been flawless (as expected). Flavors are a bit muddled and I'd be willing to bet that in time, these are going to be magnificent. I wish I could speed up time and try these in 5 years.

I'd give this a 9.2 on my random, useless, extraordinarily unscientific scale. This thing was great until the very end.

Now, to see how well I can stay out of them. I fear this may be one hell of an uphill battle. Thanks, James!

Off to get some ice for my scorched fingertips...
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:39 AM 09-14-2010
Nice review! :-)
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 09:45 AM 09-14-2010
Nice review, looks tasty! I love Davidoffs.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:50 AM 09-14-2010
Great review Dan!!
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:53 AM 09-14-2010
Ummmmmmmmm!....Nice review!
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:07 AM 09-14-2010
Thanks for the review Dan.
[Reply]
gvarsity 10:11 AM 09-14-2010
Nice review. Random interesting tidbit in regards to "I'd give this a 9.2 on my random, useless, extraordinarily unscientific scale" this type of rating is often considered the most accurate rating system and is why they use a variation for pain description. You know the crying to smiley face or 1-10 how do you feel scales. Just shooting from the gut is strikingly on target. BTW love the Vernors Ginger Ale. Some of my favorite.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 10:23 AM 09-14-2010
Just fantastic, I had a feeling that you would like these. I totally agree with you that I wish these were already 5 years old.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:37 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Cigars like this make me think I have a very limited palate.
I'm a bit confused by this comment.

Are you saying that something about it suggests to you that there may be flavors going on that you're missing because they're too subtle?
[Reply]
php007 11:23 AM 09-14-2010
I will have to try the Sublimes but love the Notables.
[Reply]
DBall 11:27 AM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
I'm a bit confused by this comment.

Are you saying that something about it suggests to you that there may be flavors going on that you're missing because they're too subtle?
Yes, or that I'm just simply missing either because a) I fried my palate with the RA Lusitaino I smoked just minutes before lighting this or b) my palate just isn't good trained enough to pick them up.

There were definitely more flavors present, I just couldn't pinpoint them.
[Reply]
Superbad 08:36 PM 09-17-2010
I had one a few weeks ago. Really liked it but it kept going out, after the 9th relight I tossed it.
[Reply]
Chingas 10:43 PM 09-17-2010
Thanks for the Review after the Bombing Dan!

Had a few of these the last couple months, got from an event in Austin. I really liked this smoke. Grabbed a few of each size!
[Reply]
MiamiE 06:25 AM 09-18-2010
Very nice review. Is there any other enjoyable NC Davidoff like the Sublime?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:27 AM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Very nice review. Is there any other enjoyable NC Davidoff like the Sublime?
Just about all of the Davidoff's are fantastic smokes. On par with anything from Cuba; just different.

Those Sublimes look great. Who sells them for the best price?
[Reply]
MiamiE 06:30 AM 09-18-2010
The construction of this cigar looks amazing. Especially in picture number two.
[Reply]
Lautréamont 06:37 AM 09-18-2010
I smoked a Sublimes yesterday for lunch at the Indy Cigar Bar. There was no hurry to get back to work on a Friday afternoon. I smoked it slowly over the course of nearly two hours with ice water to drink, while reading in one of their arm chairs. The Davidoff rep assured me that it was same blend as the Puro d'Oro Magnifico but the Sublimes didn't give me the chili pepper buzz on my lips like the Magnifico; it was more milk chocolate, subtle grass, spice, hints of dried fruit.

I've enjoyed the Davidoff Millenium blend as a change of pace but I've never actually yearned for one. These on the other hand, I would stock up on if I thought they wouldn't be available five blocks from my house. I might anyway, just for the pleasure of hoarding them.
[Reply]
DBall 09:40 AM 09-18-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Just about all of the Davidoff's are fantastic smokes. On par with anything from Cuba; just different.
Moses again hits the nail squarely on the head. As I and everyone else in every NC Davidoff thread says, I wish these weren't so cost-prohibitive.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 09:45 AM 09-18-2010
I'm dreaming of this blend in a Laguito #1 vitola. I may just have to use a bit of wrapper to strap two of 'em together, end to end. :-)
[Reply]
Up