Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva G special G maduro
Don Fernando 02:21 PM 08-04-2010
Now if you browse through my old reviews you can see that I love Oliva cigars quite a lot, almost every blend is a treat for my palate. This time I got myself a Oliva G special G maduro, a cigar I never smoked before. This weird looking 3.7x48 cigar is a Nicaraguan puro and stands out from the crowd because of the shape. The price tag of this cigar is € 3,50 in The Netherlands.

The wrapper is really dark and oily with one big vein. The shape is a mini figurado and it has a nice, recognizable band. The cigar has a hayshed smell. The construction and predraw are very good, I taste a dry tobacco flavor.

Espresso is what I taste with something sweet and wood. The sweet flavor gains some power. The espresso turns into regular coffee after an inch. I still taste the wood and the sweetness too.

The coffee loses some of its strength while the wood gets stronger. The sweetness slowly disappears.

This small cigar lasted me for 55 minutes. I got a lot of thick white smoke. The draw is great and the burn is phenomenal, slow and straight as an arrow. The ash is firm and has a pepper and salt color. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, this is a great value smoke. Loved it.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:30 PM 08-04-2010
Another great review Ferdie. :-) :-) I just can't get into these.
[Reply]
samt 04:45 PM 08-04-2010
Mmmm...I love Olivas. I just bought a pack of 36 Oliva Serie V Lancero Sun Grown's onsale and am bringing them to a wedding I'm going to over Labor Day.
[Reply]
thebayratt 08:16 PM 08-04-2010
I had one of those myself this evening.

Good smoke too. Had the same flavors that you did.

Good review.
[Reply]
nomadicwookie 07:26 AM 08-05-2010
I actually prefer the flavor of these over the robusto. It seems more full flavored to me than the larger sizes. Definitely have to take your time with it though or it will burn hot. As always... great review:-)
[Reply]
Virginia_Ghost 07:49 AM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Whaaat??? What happened to "I never met a Maduro I didn't Like?"
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:09 AM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by Virginia_Ghost:
True...there are a few out there that I haven't enjoyed. :-)
[Reply]
Virginia_Ghost 09:03 AM 08-05-2010
This, from the guy who requested Bailey's put a "Triple Maduro salad" on their appetizer menu.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:26 AM 08-05-2010
I was just about to ask that.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 11:32 AM 08-06-2010
This, from the guy who requested Bailey's put a "Triple Maduro salad" on their appetizer menu.
:-):-)

Great review Ferdie. I'm surprised that little thing lasted almost an hour.
[Reply]
Mr B 12:28 PM 08-06-2010
:-)

I split a cab of these w/ someone. All I ever got from the 5-6 that I had was Charcoal. Nothing else stood out ot me. The rest were all given away. If someone else can enjoy these, more power to em' because as mentioned, they can be had at a very good price. I believe the deal we got was about $1.70 each.
[Reply]
Skywalker 05:20 PM 08-06-2010
Sweet review!!!:-)

It must be a love/hate relationship with these!!! I for one, love them!!!

[Reply]
Ferrari5180 07:51 PM 09-21-2010
I had gotten one of these free in a box of torpedo's I had bought. It was also the first one I smoked out of all of them. What a wonderful and tasty smoke. I find them better than the torpedo's, but they are still good nevertheless. Oliva so far is doing it for me. I got some Churchill Extra Oliva V's coming. I will see how those treat me and my palate.
[Reply]
RustyShackleford 07:55 PM 09-21-2010
Nice review! The G maduro is a cigar that I enjoy quite a bit as an afternoon cigar when I smoke them later at night they seem flat.
[Reply]
gbum 09:22 AM 09-22-2010
love this sticks... i think this is the stick that i smoke a lot along with padron 2000M and 3000M...
[Reply]
shilala 09:30 AM 09-22-2010
I always keep a box of these. Two, actually.
I'll get one, let it sit 8 months unopened in the humi, and it's always ready just about time all the others are gone.
They smoke awful when they're wet. Literally horrible. I'm sure they can get dried out quicker, but the 8 month thing seems to work like a charm. :-)
[Reply]
Volt 10:45 AM 09-22-2010
:-)Did Mac just say there is a Maduro he doesn't like?
[Reply]
shilala 11:30 AM 09-22-2010
I bet if you had one outta my stash, you'd be screwed.
ROTT, they are horrid. Just like most Oliva stuff. With some TLC, they are stellar. Just like most Oliva stuff that has had time to "come around".
It's always puzzled me why they don't take more care, like Fuente. Maybe their blends just don't lend themselves to wetter smoking like Fuente stuff. I suppose if every tobacconist keeps their stuff at 70%, Oliva stuff is always gonna suffer?
[Reply]
Starscream 03:09 PM 09-22-2010
I think this is my favorite Oliva. People say great things about the O but I can't get into them. The Special G is top notch!:-)
[Reply]
Up