Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Customized Edgestar Coolidor
mravery 07:57 PM 10-30-2009
Hello all,

Being in Central Fla, keeping the temp down is an issue so I figured one of the wine coolers would do the trick. I'm a traditional sort of guy and the looks of the metal cooler didn't do it for me so I found the Edgestar wooden cooler. Figured that a 'scratch and dent' would be ok I picked up one on Ebay for $199 including shipping. Well, upon arrival it wasn't 'scratch and dented', it was more like 'run over by a truck, put in reverse and run over again'. Damage on all sides and feet. Good news was that it still cooled great, no cracks in the glass and maintained its temp and RH with 1 lb of Heartfelt 65% beads. After negotiating a discounted price with the seller for $125 I took a trip to the local Lowes store. The following pics are the unit before, during and after its transformation.
Attached: CIMG2627.jpg (18.4 KB) CIMG2629.jpg (24.3 KB) CIMG2634.jpg (17.3 KB) CIMG2635.jpg (27.2 KB) CIMG2637.jpg (22.0 KB) 
[Reply]
mravery 08:08 PM 10-30-2009
Now the finished case......maintains RH at 65 and temp at 65....Total cost... $125 for the cooler and $100 for wood and materials, $225 complete.
Attached: CIMG2638.jpg (21.4 KB) CIMG2639.jpg (21.3 KB) 
[Reply]
timo 08:09 PM 10-30-2009
Very Nice
[Reply]
DMK 08:17 PM 10-30-2009
but its so empty....
[Reply]
tchariya 08:40 PM 10-30-2009
oh man...Chasden and now you....

sooo cool. Wanna do this for the vino? :P
[Reply]
ucla695 09:06 PM 10-30-2009
Great way to dress it up! :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 11:42 PM 10-30-2009
Nice
[Reply]
Homebrewer 02:58 AM 10-31-2009
Damn, that's a great idea. Nice work.
[Reply]
mravery 05:58 AM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by DMK:
but its so empty....
Yes.. I know it's empty...... I have many on order, wanted to get it up and running before delivery :-)

Easy to do guys... and it took me about 2 days to complete it (easy weekend project).

Next one I try will be to build one out of cedar and just install the cooling unit.

Cheers
Mark
[Reply]
Barteur 06:02 AM 10-31-2009
Really nice, easier to convince your wife with this type of finish than tell her ''By the way I a putting a fridge in the living room'':-)

Good work:-)

Frenchie
[Reply]
longknocker 06:07 AM 10-31-2009
Very Well Done, Mark!:-)
[Reply]
mravery 06:08 AM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by Barteur:
Really nice, easier to convince your wife with this type of finish than tell her ''By the way I a putting a fridge in the living room'':-)

Good work:-)

Frenchie
Very true... however she now wants me to build stuff for her urgggggg:-)
[Reply]
mravery 06:13 AM 10-31-2009
Thanks for all the kind words guys.....

I would assume that most of the units that are on the market are pretty much all made the same way. The cooling unit is a self contained insulated 'box' that has either a wood (as was my case) or metal casing around it. Simply remove the casing (look to the back for support bracket and remove them, then slide to insulated 'box' out) and use the outer casing as a template for the new one.

Wonder if I could market these and make some $$$ hmmmmm :-)

Cheers
Mark
[Reply]
captain53 06:46 AM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by mravery:

I would assume that most of the units that are on the market are pretty much all made the same way. The cooling unit is a self contained insulated 'box' that has either a wood (as was my case) or metal casing around it. Simply remove the casing (look to the back for support bracket and remove them, then slide to insulated 'box' out) and use the outer casing as a template for the new one.

Cheers
Mark
No doubt you could! Now could you make a profit on them, that might be a little harder but who knows.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 06:46 AM 10-31-2009
Originally Posted by mravery:

Cheers
Mark
No doubt you could sell them! Now could you make a profit on them, that might be a little harder but who knows.:-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:38 AM 10-31-2009
Nice idea, cleans up the look of a wine cooler.:-)
[Reply]
Up