Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 51 of 270
« First < 41495051 525361101151 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
fxpose 09:59 PM 07-25-2010
Mike, them ribs look good. Foil or no foil? Looks like you pretty much got it dialed in with your OTG.
Oh, and I heard you polished off the entire slab all by yourself...:-) :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 10:06 PM 07-25-2010
Originally Posted by fxpose:
Mike, them ribs look good. Foil or no foil? Looks like you pretty much got it dialed in with your OTG.
Oh, and I heard you polished off the entire slab all by yourself...:-) :-)
Thanks. Yeah, I used foil and I did polish it off. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:26 AM 07-26-2010
Wes, those flanken ribs look killer, I need to find a butcher out here that will cut them like that (leaving more of the meat attached - they carve them pretty thin across the face out here :-)).

Keith, great looking meatfest!

Mike, great looking Q. Looks like you're getting the hang of the firebricks pretty quickly.
[Reply]
Hot Stuff x 01:27 AM 07-26-2010
Regarding Flanken Style ribs....

Originally Posted by OLS:
That's the stuff Piggly Wiggly keeps on putting in the reduced rack, but for some reason they cut them in 3/8s inch slices
and for some reason they are high priced even reduced, (for what they are). But maybe they'd sell better if they would
stop freaking slicing them.

Do you have Koreans in your area? These ribs sliced at 3/8" are what the Koreans use for L.A. Galbi, a very popular (among Koreans) dish. The ribs are marinated in a sweet soy marinade then grilled over hot coals. Served with rice and Korean side dishes. Delicious!

[Reply]
Mr B 09:42 AM 07-26-2010
Very nice lookin' Ribs...all of you guys.
[Reply]
fxpose 10:47 AM 07-26-2010
Yeah, those sliced beef ribs are perfect on a hibachi. The only way to do them. They just don't look right grilling them over a Weber, for instance...:-)

I get them at my local Asian market for 3.99/lb and they usually slice them to about 1/4" thickness.
[Reply]
OLS 06:21 AM 07-28-2010
There's a lot of every nationality here...but I have to agree that these things on the
grill are fantastic. I have just shied away cause of the price. And by the time
they are reduced, I am not too happy with the color of em, lol. Also I think they
need to change the blade on the band saw as they can be a little gritty in the bone
department. No one likes that. I tell you, if I find a few packs today I will get em.

OK, headed up to the mountains again next week, so this weekend is mondo rib smoke
weekend. Gonna do 4 racks to cool and freeze. Then gonna thaw them and flash heat em
on the grill before serving. Last weekend I did a small butt and pulled it to really nice
effect and froze that. Usually I slice a butt, but decided to pull instead. My pic is at home
in the cam, so flay away on me. So one day next week in the Smokies I will be having
reconstituted BBQ.
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:29 AM 07-28-2010

OK, headed up to the mountains again next week, so this weekend is mondo rib smoke
weekend. Gonna do 4 racks to cool and freeze. Then gonna thaw them and flash heat em
on the grill before serving. Last weekend I did a small butt and pulled it to really nice
effect and froze that. Usually I slice a butt, but decided to pull instead. My pic is at home
in the cam, so flay away on me. So one day next week in the Smokies I will be having
reconstituted BBQ.
Brad....have you spoken to NASA about that?? :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 07:44 AM 07-28-2010
If I can get a day to myself, I'm hopefully going to try my first pork butt (or 2) this weekend.

I think I've smoked about everything else (chicken, ribs, brisket, chuck roast, etc ...), but for some reason haven't tried a pork butt yet ...
[Reply]
Mr B 10:12 AM 07-28-2010
I got plans for smokin' 3 slabs o Ribs and BBQ Beans on Sat. :-)
[Reply]
fxpose 10:16 AM 07-28-2010
I've got plans for smoking 2 racks of beef back ribs and a rack of spareribs in my WFO on Sat...:-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:56 PM 07-28-2010
Fired up the POSECCB smoker and just put a bunch of various peppers on about an hour or so ago.

Fresnos, habeneros, some form of Thai peppers, cayennes, a couple of jalapenos, an Anaheim and some sweet peppers that I ended up growing by accident because the seeds got mixed up.

Oh, and an egg.
[Reply]
T.G 07:24 PM 07-28-2010

Temps went too high.

Anyone want a good deal on some slightly burnt chipotles?
[Reply]
ucla695 07:05 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:

Temps went too high.

That's a great idea. Too bad they didn't turn out.

What type of wood did you use? What temp and for how long are you supposed to smoke them?
[Reply]
bigdix 07:30 AM 07-29-2010
Beginning tomorrow, the annual pig roast. That'd be one whole hog, stuffed with whole chickens and vegetable. Plus a couple of briskets to eat while we're waiting on the pig. Some good friends, good scotch, and a herf-worthy collection of cigars to smoke...got about 24 hours to kill so why the hell not, right? Besides, my new Palio got here so I have to try it out on a few cigars, eh? The Cigar-murai Social Club strikes again here in Okinawa, Japan!! :-)
[Reply]
OLS 07:31 AM 07-29-2010
I think I will also do some beans, Mr. B. After seeing the type of success you guys are
having with placing the beans under the meat, I figured I'd do that as well. Anything that
makes my ribs go a little farther amongst the ravenous 12 or so relatives that will be snackin
on them bones.
[Reply]
OLS 07:37 AM 07-29-2010

Temps went too high.

I thought you WANTED to burn off the skin on those things?
[Reply]
wayner123 07:52 AM 07-29-2010
I think I will also do some beans, Mr. B. After seeing the type of success you guys are
having with placing the beans under the meat, I figured I'd do that as well. Anything that
makes my ribs go a little farther amongst the ravenous 12 or so relatives that will be snackin
on them bones.
You should smoke a butt and use the meat to make the hog apple beans. Once you have those beans, you will judge all others by them. Thanks again Brent for ruining me :-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:24 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by ucla695:
That's a great idea. Too bad they didn't turn out.

What type of wood did you use? What temp and for how long are you supposed to smoke them?
I'm thinking that it was the wind that fed more air into the vertical smoker that caused the temps to run away. Normally that old POS is actually good for this kind of work because it runs very cold (normally) and the access door makes adding wood easy.

Anyway, not a big deal, just a tad disappointing, but there will be plenty more peppers this season. Plus, I still have some smoked peppers left from last year.

Jalapenos are traditionally smoked over pecan wood to form chipotles. I've been using plum for the last few years because I have a lot of it and it has a very unique bite. Almond would be fine, oak might work, cherry would probably be fine too. For various reasons, I would avoid hickory, mesquite & apple. Citrus wood would go unnoticed.

Since temperatures and times are dependant on the peppers, I think it's better to just explain the idea than give any definite numbers.

Start with ripe (red) peppers. Yeah, those fresnos weren't quite red, but close enough, also, fresno peppers are some of the few peppers that still taste good when you use green ones - them and certain varieties of thai peppers. Tear the stems off, try not to tear open the flesh of the pepper.

What you need to do from there is simply dehydrate the pepper with smoke. It's ok to make smoke for the whole cook, it's not going to hurt the peppers so long as they aren't dripping with tar and creosote. You also want to keep temps as low as you can to avoid burning (only use a few coals and just just keep adding a few freshly lit coals and smoke wood as necessary), below 200 if possible.

Large, thick, fleshy, watery peppers will take longer than smaller, thin peppers (DUH), and you just need to watch them until they are leathery/dry. I think the winds did me in on this cook, so instead of leathery & slightly pliable, I few right past that at the end and went to burnt cracker.

To give you a ballpark on times, habeneros cook quickly - maybe an hour or so. Thai will cook quickly also if they are in a perforated basket, if they are on foil, they'll take longer. Fresnos, 4-5 hours depending on temps. Big thick watery jalapenos, longer. Opening the lid every 30 minutes to peek and every 10 once you get close isn't any big deal, it's not like a hunk of meat where doing that can mess up your cook.

Oh, BTW, can't use most supermarket peppers because they are usually coated with food grade wax.

---

Oh, and you have to smoke an egg while doing it - it's a tradition... :-)

Take a raw egg, use one of those thingies that punches a hole in the end of the shell where the airsack is or just use a thumbtack/pushpin, then put it on the grate. After about 1.5 hours, it'll look all brown and coated, pull it off, let it cool, crack it open and treat like any other hard boiled egg.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:39 AM 07-29-2010
I'm thinking that it was the wind that fed more air into the vertical smoker that caused the temps to run away. Normally that old POS is actually good for this kind of work because it runs very cold (normally) and the access door makes adding wood easy.

Anyway, not a big deal, just a tad disappointing, but there will be plenty more peppers this season. Plus, I still have some smoked peppers left from last year.

Jalapenos are traditionally smoked over pecan wood to form chipotles. I've been using plum for the last few years because I have a lot of it and it has a very unique bite. Almond would be fine, oak might work, cherry would probably be fine too. For various reasons, I would avoid hickory, mesquite & apple. Citrus wood would go unnoticed.

Since temperatures and times are dependant on the peppers, I think it's better to just explain the idea than give any definite numbers.

Start with ripe (red) peppers. Yeah, those fresnos weren't quite red, but close enough, also, fresno peppers are some of the few peppers that still taste good when you use green ones - them and certain varieties of thai peppers. Tear the stems off, try not to tear open the flesh of the pepper.

What you need to do from there is simply dehydrate the pepper with smoke. It's ok to make smoke for the whole cook, it's not going to hurt the peppers so long as they aren't dripping with tar and creosote. You also want to keep temps as low as you can to avoid burning (only use a few coals and just just keep adding a few freshly lit coals and smoke wood as necessary), below 200 if possible.

Large, thick, fleshy, watery peppers will take longer than smaller, thin peppers (DUH), and you just need to watch them until they are leathery/dry. I think the winds did me in on this cook, so instead of leathery & slightly pliable, I few right past that at the end and went to burnt cracker.

To give you a ballpark on times, habeneros cook quickly - maybe an hour or so. Thai will cook quickly also if they are in a perforated basket, if they are on foil, they'll take longer. Fresnos, 4-5 hours depending on temps. Big thick watery jalapenos, longer. Opening the lid every 30 minutes to peek and every 10 once you get close isn't any big deal, it's not like a hunk of meat where doing that can mess up your cook.

Oh, BTW, can't use most supermarket peppers because they are usually coated with food grade wax.

---

Oh, and you have to smoke an egg while doing it - it's a tradition... :-)

Take a raw egg, use one of those thingies that punches a hole in the end of the shell where the airsack is or just use a thumbtack/pushpin, then put it on the grate. After about 1.5 hours, it'll look all brown and coated, pull it off, let it cool, crack it open and treat like any other hard boiled egg.
Thanks for taking time to explain it! :-)

I'm a big fan of chile peppers and am all over this! And, I can't mess with tradition so I'll do the egg too! I'm waiting for Hatch Chile season down here in SoCal. :-)
[Reply]
Page 51 of 270
« First < 41495051 525361101151 > Last »
Up