Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>taboo barber pole
s15driftking 10:42 PM 12-06-2008
Well, im not going to make this very formal. Because i'm here to report back about the brand that is Taboo.

The Backstory:

I recently smoked a less-than-average Taboo and i wrote a review about it. After a huge response about "you need to try another" because i got a bad lemon. I tried another one tonight at the annual Columbus Ohio Christmas Herf.

Well, i am completely satisfied.

The cigar smelled great. the burn was perfect, and the draw was very perfect. The exterior was flawless and soft. The taste was very pleasing and it "quenched" my draw/smoke needs. The flavor was bold and consistent.

I an't say enough about Taboo's customer service and Rob is more... MORE than a stand up guy.

The cigar started out very nice and smooth, moved gradually towards heated and spicey, and finished hot like i like them. I cannot rave enough about how good and even the burn and draw were.

This cigar was a very good example of quality and construction. It didn't let me down even for a cigar that had mainly a one sided flavor. It wasn't very complex, but it didn't need to be. it was straight forward and the ash stayed on forever. Thats quality!

thank you taboo

- Bobby
[Reply]
Darrell 10:44 PM 12-06-2008
That's called a Taboo Twist, Bobby. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:47 PM 12-06-2008
Taboo does make a good golf course cigar and a lot of people like them for everyday smokes. I too enjoy the occasional Twist myself :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 11:03 PM 12-06-2008
ahhh right, the test, the name was eluding me!
[Reply]
Volt 04:09 AM 12-07-2008
I like this with a bit of aging on them.... I have a box I am letting rest and hitting about 1 a month. They are definitly getting better.

The best cigar from Taboo I smoked is an SFO Boot Camp. Although not for me, I highly recommend anyone who wants to try something new, give this a whirl. Simply amazing, here is a bit of a review I posted on it:

"Interesting smoke....

Construction: 6.5" and maybe a 38/40 RG. Not sure what it was (bomb gift) - typical generic Taboo band. Very dark brown and black wrapper. Rugged contruction, both veiny and raised stem with a bit of a curley head on the cap. This doesn't bother me as it does seem to bother others.

Smoke: Wow.... It seems most of the Taboos (SFO/HSG) I have tried are a little stronger than I normally prefer. Strong nic to me gives the back of the throat a tightness. This is prolly one the most complex sticks I have smoked to date. Strong nic in places and in others it would fade to med. The flavors jumped from sweet to bland to others I couldn't place. Each 3/4" or so it was like a new cigar. Produced medium to slightly heavy amounts of smoke. I made it about 3" in before I stopped. Not that I dis-liked it, but I have a bit of a buzz and this is right after lunch. I'm a wimp. Simon, you need one of these.

The Twist and Cameroon are keepers, I'll have to pass on this one though (even though this smokes changing charectaristics are fun) in order to keep a clear head. I just picked up 10 Sumatras, they are next on the Taboo tasting."
[Reply]
longknocker 04:46 AM 12-07-2008
I love the Taboo Twist, SFO Original & Boot Camp! I switch them around depending on my mood. Another great golf course smoke is the Taboo Bundled Value Blend. Smooth, mild blend, very reasonable price, and stays lit forever!:-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 08:38 AM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
...and finished hot like i like them. I cannot rave enough about how good and even the burn and draw were.

- Bobby
I hate it when a cigar finishes cold! :-)
[Reply]
str8edg 12:05 PM 12-07-2008
I liked this one as well. Picked one up last year and loved it. Not real strong but I found it to be a creamy cigar.

I have a few in my humi now for 6 months or so... looking forward to having another one
[Reply]
dentonparrots 03:11 PM 12-07-2008
One of my first NC's, I looked forward to it for ages and it paid off
[Reply]
dccraft 06:28 PM 12-07-2008
Good review. I have always like these creamy smokes.
[Reply]
alley00p 06:43 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by str8edg:
I have a few in my humi now for 6 months or so... looking forward to having another one
The Taboo Twist Toro (6"X58) is a favorite of mine - I've had 4 boxes of them so far this year. Unfortunately, I never have a box long enough to age any. I guess the next time I'll have to get 2 boxes - one to smoke and one to let sit for awhile and get some age on them.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 08:44 PM 12-07-2008
I've only had one twist but I really enjoyed it. I don't really have much experience with the brand but I do have a few more twists waiting for me in my humi.
[Reply]
rizzle 01:43 PM 12-17-2008
Had my first one of these over the weekend, gifted to me by a fine brother.
Taste reminded me a lot of an Oliva G.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 02:00 PM 12-17-2008
The Twist is the best double shade I've smoked. I swear I could taste citrus notes, but it could have just been the combination of food and drink too.

And I agree with you Bobby, Rob's customer service is A#1, along with everything else he does.
[Reply]
s15driftking 02:15 PM 12-17-2008
yeah, it reminded me of a couple of olivas i've had, the G.

Edit, i thought you said O... so yah huh!
[Reply]
Trace63 04:25 PM 12-20-2008
Taboo's are so-so for me. They usually start well but end up meh. Depends on the stick.

The twist was good but not great for me. Think Id spend the $4-5 somewhere else if need be. :-) Thanks for the review though!
[Reply]
Up