Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha Crest Challenge (Photo Intense)
Skywalker 09:09 PM 10-26-2008
Last week my good friend Volt asked if I would do a review of the Gurkha Crest:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2035

His review was good and he gave high praise to this Gurkha!

Here is my review

Gurkha Crest Churchill
Size: 7 x 52
Connecticut Maduro Wrapper
Nicaraguan Binder
Nicaraguan Filler

Gifted by my good friend Ryan (aka Cigarmonkel)

The band is colorful and lemon flavored (not really flavored:-)),

This cigar is wrapped with care, however the wrapper itself is veiny and toothy. I had to throw in some tzaddi type photo art!!!

Upon toasting the foot a nice aroma of nuts and cocoa is detected. The draw is flawless.

The first couple of draws gave forth a hint of cedar and cinnamon

This cigar does not have much bitterness. Only a little pepper is detected.
The pepper gave way to cocoa and cinnamon and a small citrus background.

While this cigar could be classified as Maduro it has more in common with a light wrapper cigar. I paired it with a Sierra Nevada Wet Hops Harvest Ale. I think it would have gone better with a malt beer or coffee.

Half way through it is changing slightly to more citrus. Burnt orange peel is detected. The construction has asked for much correcting with the burn being uneven.

I am glad I waited to smoke this during the autumn as it has flavor that I enjoy this time of year such as spice, nuts and citrus. The spice is more of a nutmeg than pepper. I removed the band.

This is a very nice smoke with more burnt orange peel at the end. The nub is getting very soft and hot.

Total smoke time took 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Construction/Appearance: 7 out of 10
Flavor Balance: 8 out of 10
Strength: Medium with a little kick at the end
Over all experience: 7 out of 10
Value: This was gifted but I wouldn't pay more than $10

Thank you Ryan for the cigar and thank you Volt for the challenge!!!
[Reply]
av8tor152d 09:19 PM 10-26-2008
Nice Review
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:22 PM 10-26-2008
Nice pics and nice review!
[Reply]
Volt 04:53 AM 10-27-2008
My friend, you do know how to take some great pictures. I'm glad someone tried this smoke. As I noted, it really does vary quite a bit from what I would call the baseline Gurkha taste. You pulled out a few more flavors than my crappy pallette did. The cocoa and cinnamon I was able to get.I would agree, it's no $25 cigar, but then to me, no cigar is worth $25. I'm hoping cbid will start carrying them, I'd pick a fiver or so up. A little RG for you for the pics and write up.
[Reply]
tzaddi 10:39 AM 10-27-2008
Well done Darrell, no more a young padwan you are. :-) You made that cigar your very own super-model, not a bad shot in the bunch. It was good to see one of my seedlings in bloom, it appears you have taken good care. Nice product placement with the SN.

Your words and images invite and entice, mission accomplished to be sure. I will have to dig deep into the 165QT "traveldor" and find one of those.

Thanks. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 10:52 AM 10-27-2008
Nice review. I've got a few Gurkhas in the humi, I really ought to give them a test drive. I think I've only ever had one Gurkha. They sure make a nice looking cigar.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:13 PM 10-27-2008
wow, nice pictures and review!:-)
[Reply]
cricky101 08:02 PM 10-27-2008
Why am I suddenly craving a Sierra Nevada??? :-)

Awesome review and pics :-)
[Reply]
Fumador 07:49 AM 10-28-2008
WOW. Great photos and the band is cool looking. I like Gurkhas so if I find these for a good price I will try one.
[Reply]
Scottw 04:53 PM 10-28-2008
Great job on the review, how was the S.N ale? I have had it once and really enjoyed the Harvest Ale.
[Reply]
Benwoo 05:06 PM 10-28-2008
Nice!!! I'm jealous! :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:33 PM 10-28-2008
Great review. thanks.:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 06:59 PM 10-28-2008
Wow great review and really nice pictures. I have never heard of these before... but that doesn't mean anything since I cant keep up with the ever changing world of cigars.
[Reply]
Ratters 07:50 PM 10-28-2008
Nice review Darrell! :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:03 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by tzaddi:
Nice product placement with the SN.
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Why am I suddenly craving a Sierra Nevada??? :-)
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Great job on the review, how was the S.N ale? I have had it once and really enjoyed the Harvest Ale.
Yes! I purposely put Sierra Nevada in my pictures... not to promote it as much as to say "I love it!!!" The Harvest Ale goes great with most cigars!!! A year ago I was enjoying Port with my cigars. I enjoy other drinks as well but nothing does the trick like SN Ale!!!

Coffee is best for the morning cigars!!! IMHO
[Reply]
godzilla 07:02 PM 12-19-2008
just smoked one of these. it had been in my coolerdor for most of the year and i just stumbled upon it. i agree with most of what you said. definitely wouldn't pay more than $6 or $7, but thats about what i paid for it so good deal. I think i picked it up on a cbid special at some point.
[Reply]
Cigary 08:52 PM 12-19-2008
I have these cigars resting and take one out every other week and smoke them amongst other Gurkhas I have. I don't know why this line gets a rap,,,I happen to really like them and the pics were second to none and the review likewise. I felt like I was smoking it right there with you.
[Reply]
Trace63 03:10 PM 12-20-2008
WOW. I havnt seen this one before. Looks really tasty. Maybe Ill try to find one around here to try.

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Up