Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>CAO American
Domer 09:39 PM 10-24-2008
I was gifted this cigar by a friend over the summer. It has been in my humidor ever since. The cigar was almost too pretty to smoke. I loved the understated double wrapper look, which was mostly maduro with a thin striping of connecticut shade wrapper. Also the bands, one at the foot are great looking as I believe most CAO's bands are. I believe this was a Potomac, it was about robusto size perhaps a bit longer. I don't think it qualified as a toro though.

The cigar started with cream buttery profile quickly becoming earthy. Most of the cigar had a spicy note, with possibly a bit of nuttiness. The burn was razor sharp despite a poor light job as the lighter ran out of fuel. I finally had to ash at the half way point because I inadvertently let the cigar go out as I was fixing another drink and when I returned I had to relight it. However it showed potential to have a very long ash. After the relight the peppery spice from before became a bit more like cinnamon in my opinion and there was more nuttiness.

Overall the cigar was enjoyable, occasionally however I got a bit of harshness on the back of the throat. If the price on these is right (read: same range as Italias and Brazilias) I would buy again. For me this would not be a regular everyday smoke, but I would have to be in the mood for it. I would like to try a smaller rg of the American to see how the flavors differ. I have found myself moving away from larger rg and perhaps I would more enjoy a corona size American. All in all a good smoke.

Construction: 10/10
Taste: 7/10
Value: it was free to me :-) so I guess 10/10
[Reply]
md4958 09:44 PM 10-24-2008
nice review... ive got a couple of these in my humi that were passed to me... gotta light one up soon.
[Reply]
webjunkie 09:57 PM 10-24-2008
These definitely benefit from resting. I had a fresh one last year and was not impressed at all. Let a second rest for several months and it was a vast improvement, but still not my cup of tea.
[Reply]
Scottw 10:07 PM 10-24-2008
Nice revew,cold you taste the flavor profile between the two wrappers?
[Reply]
Domer 10:18 PM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Nice revew,cold you taste the flavor profile between the two wrappers?
You know I was wondering about this before I smoked the American as it was my first double wrapped cigar. I always read that wrapper has little to no affect on flavor, so I guess filler is the main flavoring agent. Overall the cigar had more of a maduro profile with the nuttiness and cinnamon, but some elements of the spice reminded me of natural wrapped cigars.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts. I guess I will see out more barberpole wrapped cigars. I would love to find a between the lines as I have read rave reviews. Any body have any other suggestions for a dual wrapped cigar that is easy to find? Maybe I'll have to pull the trigger on some Taboo Twists I've read so much about.
[Reply]
shvictor 12:31 AM 10-25-2008
Nice review...I love that cigar
[Reply]
groogs 08:07 AM 10-25-2008
Nice review, I really like the Americas after they have rested for a few months.
[Reply]
The Korean 08:31 AM 10-25-2008
Got one resting in the cooler. From the intial reviews didn't know if/when I'd smoke it. From these comments, may have to pull her out soon.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:33 AM 10-25-2008
nice review,thnx, but CAO is a hit or miss, and I never had a CAO which I liked so I think I will pass anyway.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:27 PM 10-25-2008
im gonna try one of these:-)
[Reply]
STYX&STONED 06:17 AM 12-19-2008
I have had several of the Americas and IMHO they are the worst thing CAO has ever put out.:-)
[Reply]
rizzle 11:00 AM 12-19-2008
I got one of these in a lottery payment last month. I'm planning on letting it rest until next July 4th and then torching it. Should be a tasty treat by then.
[Reply]
Up