Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What type of mint for drinks?
yourchoice 09:34 AM 05-09-2009
I searched the web, found some info - but just to be sure I thought I'd ask my BOTL here. When mixing drinks using mint, what type of mint is typically preferred, spearmint or peppermint? I wanted to plant a little to have on hand....kicking myself for not having it on hand for the Derby last week! TIA for your help! :-)
[Reply]
dubnick 09:41 AM 05-09-2009
There's a difference of opinion if you're making julups or mojito's?

Since you mentioned the Derby I'm assuming Julups... If thats the case I'd say

"In fact, one cultivar of spearmint is named M. spicata 'Kentucky Colonel' and is used in the mint juleps at the Derby"
[Reply]
adampc22 09:44 AM 05-09-2009
i like pepermint my self a take a whiskey and pep when i have a bad stumac and it helps alot
[Reply]
markem 10:02 AM 05-09-2009
A friend grows chocolate mint for his juleps. He also uses them in mojitos, but I'm a fan of traditional mint (spearmint) in those. For whatever reason, I'm not a big fan of peppermint in drinks, even tea.
[Reply]
ucla695 10:05 AM 05-09-2009
Interesting question. I've never thought about this. I can't wait the see the responses.
[Reply]
AD720 10:12 AM 05-09-2009
I always use spearmint for Mojitos (the only Mint drink that I like).
[Reply]
DougBushBC 03:13 PM 05-09-2009
Peppermint is terrible in drinks used it myself by accident once. Spear mint is the way to go
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:38 PM 05-09-2009
Make sure your mint is vigorous or it will shred apart when mashing for a mojito.
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:46 PM 05-09-2009
Thanks for the replies gents...I should have stated, not only for Mint Juleps, but Mojito's and anything else I may find intriguing with mint. Sounds like spearmint is the way to go....

With all that said, I now have a peppermint plant, an orange mint plant and a spearmint plant. LOL My wife was out at a nursery today and bought the first two without further information, and my neighboring asparagus farmer gave me a very small spearmint plant when I bought some asparagus this afternoon. Now I can try all three! :-) I'm intrigued by the orange mint and the aforementioned chocolate mint plant. I wouldn't have thought of more than just spearmint and peppermint.

Thanks again for the replies.
[Reply]
Mark C 05:30 AM 05-10-2009
I'm a huge fan of spearmint, never tried any of the others, be sure to let us know how they are.

Keep in mind mint grows like a weed unless you keep it in a pot. I tried for a couple years and could never get potted mint to grow. One winter I dumped the barren pot over the side of the deck and next spring I was pleased to find mint starting to grow, by the end of that summer I had a 6 ft patch of spearmint.
[Reply]
Up