Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Yuengling for a non-beer drinker?
kzm007 11:15 PM 03-16-2009
I've got a birthday party to go to this weekend and they're well-stocked with Lager I'm told. Before I denounce it and bring my own beverage (they're only stocking beer; I generally prefer wine or liquor due to it being less thick and 'heavy' on my stomach - I know that sounds nuts :-)), I'm wondering how you would describe the taste of Yuengling to a guy who doesn't drink beer all that often?

Thanks all -

Kegan
[Reply]
SeanGAR 03:20 AM 03-17-2009
How about some descriptions from ratebeer?

Dark gold color with a white head. Nose of malt and corn. Flavor of malt. Thin and a bit watery.

For what it is, not too bad. Certainly better than other mass produced beer. It actually does have a pretty malty-grain flavor to it. There’s a bit of skunkiness on the finish, but for cheap beer not terribly offensive. It is a bit sweet and flavored for mass consumption, however.

This is a pretty good lager. Pretty light flavors, pairs well with most pub food. Easy to drink, smooth texture. Good gateway beer for beginners

Bottle, no lager character to speak of, very mild hops and malt, metallic, slight cooked corn (DMS) taste. I couldn’t finish it. I have retasted this several times on tap and actually like the stuff (my review).

A great beer for the price. It is very good beer with a nice amber color and a fairly decent taste. It is widely available which is another plus. It has a small tan head, can sometimes be skunky, but that is rare. Overall, it is a good beer, not great.

Local beer for me. I used to enjoy it years ago, but the taste has changed over the years. I really can’t drink it anymore out of a bottle. I can drink it on tap if there’s nothing else or worse beers. Really over-hyped these days all over the country. I had some bottles in my beer fridge in which the color actually seperated. Medium-brown color (unless it seperates, then it’s two-toned). Has a thin tan head. The aroma and taste both tend to be on the skunky side from a bottle. On tap. it has more of a malty aroma mixed with the skunkiness.

My old standby. As for the mass produced domestic beers, this one beats the hell out of anything AB or Miller produces. Not sure if this falls into the pale lager category, it’s more amber in color, slight skunkiness. It reminds me more of a European type lager rather than an American type. It has a distict taste that I find pleasant.
[Reply]
e-man67 09:43 AM 03-17-2009
I am with you on this...I just don't drink beer anymore for that very reason...too filling. Yuengling is by FAR the best beer I have ever had...I know that is probably taboo to the beer guys...I do like the seasonal Sam Adams stuff (not the regular stuff), Pale Ales, stouts, you name it and I like it but not love it...Yuengling for me is the perfect all around beer...and what sucks is they don't sell in in my state...so I guess my scotch, whiskey, vodka, gin, and cognac will have to do. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:02 AM 03-17-2009
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Yuengling is by FAR the best beer I have ever had...
Wow! I thought Yuengling was awful... Oh well... I am New Englander so, my loyalties are different when it comes to beer.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 11:31 AM 03-17-2009
I mostly like dark, heavy, and bitter beers like stouts. Porters are good too but if I cant get anything good Yuengling is my go to beer. The bottle and cans taste different and I used to be a fan of the bottle but it seems like the cans taste better...i dont know why.

All in all its a decent beer for the price and I feel its one of the best macros available.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 11:32 AM 03-17-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Wow! I thought Yuengling was awful... Oh well... I am New Englander so, my loyalties are different when it comes to beer.
What kinda beers do you like? Sam Adams?
[Reply]
Mark C 12:55 PM 03-17-2009
Tastes like beer. Generally pale yellow in color, comes in a bottle, or even a can. Unless I drink it side-by-side with Miller, Coors, etc. I can't tell a difference.

But I prefer more flavorful beers, usually craft or microbrew.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:13 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
Tastes like beer. Generally pale yellow in color, comes in a bottle, or even a can. Unless I drink it side-by-side with Miller, Coors, etc. I can't tell a difference.

But I prefer more flavorful beers, usually craft or microbrew.
Wow...I love me some Yuengling...I would not even mention it in the same sentence as those "other" beers you listed! But thats just me :-)
[Reply]
GarlicBreath 05:22 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by kzm007:
I've got a birthday party to go to this weekend and they're well-stocked with Lager I'm told. Before I denounce it and bring my own beverage (they're only stocking beer; I generally prefer wine or liquor due to it being less thick and 'heavy' on my stomach - I know that sounds nuts :-)), I'm wondering how you would describe the taste of Yuengling to a guy who doesn't drink beer all that often?

Thanks all -

Kegan
When I drank a good bit of beer I thought it tasted horrendous. :-)

Now as an occasional beer drinker it still tastes horrendous. :-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 05:40 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by GarlicBreath:
When I drank a good bit of beer I thought it tasted horrendous. :-)

Now as an occasional beer drinker it still tastes horrendous. :-)
I, on the other, still drink a good bit of beer. And it still tastes horrendous.

:-)
[Reply]
beamish 05:46 PM 03-18-2009
Good everyday beer not to heavy not to light good balance,inexpensive,in fact I dont think the comparatively priced competition can compare as a lot of them taste watery,where yingying has a nice pale tone to it just make sure its ice cold....:-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 06:14 PM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by beamish:
Good everyday beer not to heavy not to light good balance,inexpensive,in fact I dont think the comparatively priced competition can compare as a lot of them taste watery,where yingying has a nice pale tone to it just make sure its ice cold....:-)
:-) well said!
[Reply]
wshan 08:06 PM 03-25-2009
Huge fan of the Yuengling lager. Of course we had a brewery in Tampa I think. Great stuff. Even the light beer doesn't taste light. Great flavor, doesn't taste watered down and it's not overly carbonated to make you feel full.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:53 AM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
What kinda beers do you like? Sam Adams?
Harpoon trumps Sam's a little around Boston locals...

For local stuff - Harpoon, Redhook, or Sam's.

There's one beer, that I just love that comes in a Growler and my mind is drawing a blank on... Made in on the North Shore somewhere... Anyone? A great beer for Game Day to split with a few people.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 12:35 PM 03-26-2009
I'll have to look for some harpoon and redhook
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 12:59 PM 03-26-2009
I wish Yuengling was available in my area so I could try it and see what the fuss is all about. I have always heard nothing but good things about Yuengling!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:39 PM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I'll have to look for some harpoon and redhook
Harpoon IPA is the more Boston of the two
[Reply]
TheManWithNoName 06:54 PM 03-26-2009
Yuengling is America's oldest brewery, so think of drinking it as partaking in US history! :-) It's good beer at a good price, a fine combination.
[Reply]
kzm007 07:07 PM 03-26-2009
I've heard it was good, and it tasted...like beer lol pretty light though. Maybe as I keep drinking it, I'll get used to it :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:11 PM 03-26-2009
Originally Posted by kzm007:
I've heard it was good, and it tasted...like beer lol pretty light though. Maybe as I keep drinking it, I'll get used to it :-)
Yes...just keep drinking it :-)
[Reply]
Up