Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>The LGC ping lighter
replicant_argent 11:29 AM 05-22-2010
EverTorches...

Ping.
[Reply]
Cigary 12:54 PM 05-22-2010
EverTorch Pings? I love the dual softflame/torch but if they ping...I think I need this one too.
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 01:13 PM 05-22-2010
just ordered one...hopefully I don't get a dud too
[Reply]
Cigary 01:48 PM 05-22-2010
I'm 2 for 2 Steve but they say if you aren't satisfied you have 3 days to return it to them for a refund or exchange. If you don't do that then you are under the Manufacturers warranty which means the PING probably doesn't factor as a "warranty issue" but who knows as if you pay by credit card you can always dispute the charge and win.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:35 PM 05-22-2010
Originally Posted by Cigary:
I'm 2 for 2 Steve but they say if you aren't satisfied you have 3 days to return it to them for a refund or exchange. If you don't do that then you are under the Manufacturers warranty which means the PING probably doesn't factor as a "warranty issue" but who knows as if you pay by credit card you can always dispute the charge and win.
wow.. you would dispute a CC charge for an "unsuitable ping"?
BTW.. if you look at these lighters with ping, you would find a phillips screw head and a piece of metal, some experimentation, clipping, tightening or bending may have a positive outcome.
[Reply]
MiamiE 04:40 PM 05-22-2010
Everyone is forgetting you paid $24.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 06:21 PM 05-22-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
BTW.. if you look at these lighters with ping, you would find a phillips screw head and a piece of metal, some experimentation, clipping, tightening or bending may have a positive outcome.
Looked at it a little bit and without really ripping the lighter apart to get to the phillips screw in the cap of the lighter I couldn't really adjust anything.

Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Everyone is forgetting you paid $24.
Haha, I didn't forget. I know what I got for $24 and even with the dinky ping I'd be ok with it, but if others have a lighter that sounds like it's supposed to, I'll call them when they open Monday and see what they're willing to do. :-)
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 07:55 PM 05-22-2010
My 2 are perfect and a really nice ping!!
[Reply]
Cigary 08:15 PM 05-22-2010
I was telling the poster "if he" wanted to return the item he has 3 days and they will take care of it. I am looking at mine and there is nothing on the bottom of the lighter that has a phillips head screw. There is the small handle that you lift with your fingernail to unscrew the filler head like the ST Dupont and you recharge it very easily...screw the filler back in and wait for a couple of minutes and it lights first time. The handle is used to adjust the flame so as far as clipping, tightening or bending of anything on this item I don't see anything that is going to bind unless someone cross threads the filler back into the lighter.

Anytime I ever disputed a CC charge it was for good reasons and it was never contested.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:43 AM 05-23-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Looked at it a little bit and without really ripping the lighter apart to get to the phillips screw in the cap of the lighter I couldn't really adjust anything.
Looks like you looked in the right spot. However, with the construction process, it may be assembled (cap assembly) first, then attached to the sleeve body, so it might be more of a pain to tweak. The phillips is on the hinge side, and access is occluded by the lighter body when assembled.

I was telling the poster "if he" wanted to return the item he has 3 days and they will take care of it. I am looking at mine and there is nothing on the bottom of the lighter that has a phillips head screw. you aren't eyballing the right spot. There is the small handle that you lift with your fingernail to unscrew the filler head like the ST Dupont and you recharge it very easily...screw the filler back in and wait for a couple of minutes and it lights first time. The handle is used to adjust the flame so as far as clipping, tightening or bending of anything on this item I don't see anything that is going to bind unless someone cross threads the filler back into the lighter.

Anytime I ever disputed a CC charge it was for good reasons and it was never contested.
er... One mans "good reason" is anothers "you did what for a 24 dollar lighter?"

PING probably doesn't factor as a "warranty issue" but who knows as if you pay by credit card you can always dispute the charge and win.
Looks like you would either recommend a CC dispute to someone else or do it yourself for a "ping issue" to me.
[Reply]
OLS 07:00 AM 05-24-2010
Having watched both videos back to back, you are right, the ST is much
more musical. They are in the same range, which is how I determined that
mine was so close. But I watched the same video you did there and for some
reason never put it together the the STD (hehe) has a nice clear musical ring
and my cheap lady lighter has a clink.

I am good with it. You need to sue Cigary or his friend and keep the lighter.
[Reply]
OLS 07:44 AM 05-24-2010
I think there might be some kind of tension adjustment you could do with the pring to alter the sustain on the ring,
the only problem it sounds like it has. But better materials likely play a role, may be the biggest role.
[Reply]
TheLostGringo 09:19 AM 05-24-2010
Seams like for the price we are splitting hairs about the sound. I love my lighter.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:49 AM 05-24-2010
In my review post I pretty clearly stated for $24 it is a great lighter :-) By no means was I expecting an exact replica of the real Dupont lighters. However I was just lead to believe that everybody else had much better results so I just didn't want to sit on it if I had gotten a dud lighter.
[Reply]
Cigary 01:17 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:

I am good with it. You need to sue Cigary or his friend and keep the lighter.
Lol,,,you might even get enough money to buy another $24 lighter.:-)
[Reply]
OLS 11:20 AM 05-25-2010
Yeah, don't feel too bad. We're not accusing you of being petty. haha.
Like I said, I went through a very similar, if not exact sequence of events. Read Cigary's
post, google and Utubed the ping sound of the original, remembered the pitch, ignored the
tone, got in my lighter, heard the same pitch and never even considered the total lack of
sustain. TO ME, and I do not know what the Dupont lighter was made of, it's all in the
metal. You get a nice ringing sustain out of a high grade metal. Knockoffs, you could
certainly expect a total lack of a ring. Maybe Dupont's lighter actually has PRING.
Bling with pring. The knockoffs have ping.

After watching both videos again, I think my knockoff has a little more of a pronounced
ping, but still lacks the resounding ping.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:37 AM 05-25-2010
Yeah, I'm not messing with an RMA on this. It's a great looking lighter with a really nice flame. I seriously doubt I'd get any different kind of sound from another one.

I really enjoy the light I get from this lighter for sure though, worth the money!
[Reply]
MiamiE 11:39 AM 05-25-2010
Anyone know how we would go about replacing the flints?
[Reply]
Brutus2600 11:43 AM 05-25-2010
I'm guessing dupont flints will work well, and you can get an 8 pack of them for like $2, although I forget the website I found them on.

I'm not sure Zippo flints would be the same thing or the right size, which is unfortunate because those are readily available everywhere :-P
[Reply]
aich75013 12:39 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I'm guessing dupont flints will work well, and you can get an 8 pack of them for like $2, although I forget the website I found them on.

I'm not sure Zippo flints would be the same thing or the right size, which is unfortunate because those are readily available everywhere :-P
These? My lighter arrives tomorrow.
http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/st_du...ers_gas_re.htm
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up