Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I dont want to hear "I Told You So"!!!!!!
Ogre 07:16 PM 05-09-2010
just bought an Avanti 34 off of Craigs list for $75. I know you all told me to do this from the begining, so I dont want to hear it. :-). Now I have to figure out how to modify it. What do I need for conversion??? Where do I get shelves??? Thanks everyone for your help.Image
[Reply]
NeverEnoughStick 07:21 PM 05-09-2010
Check out hcmbeads.com for humidification. Contact ChasDen for some shelves :-)

And start paying off the credit card while you can :-)
[Reply]
G G 07:36 PM 05-09-2010
Plus if you'll send me your address I can send you further instructions on how best to fill it up.:-)
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 07:37 PM 05-09-2010
looks like a compressor model, not a thermo. that's not an issue as some would argue - simply get Chuck's drawers with glass tops for any you're not keeping in a box.

See that drain hole in the back? I put beads in the bottom, then ran a tube from that drain hole to the top of the beads... had to drill a hole to do it, but that keeps it a closed system.
[Reply]
Pat1075 07:41 PM 05-09-2010
Congratulations on the new pick up. I would plug the drain with electrical putty. And give it a scrub with baking soda and water or maybe even a diluted bleach solution as it is previously used.
[Reply]
G G 07:42 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky:
See that drain hole in the back? I put beads in the bottom, then ran a tube from that drain hole to the top of the beads... had to drill a hole to do it, but that keeps it a closed system.
If you you buy Shilala HCM beads please don't do that, according to Shilala that won't end good if you do.:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 07:42 PM 05-09-2010
It is a Thermo. That was a requirement
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 07:44 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
ok... I must be mistaken. I figured that big bump in the back at the bottom was a cutout for a compressor unit... I've only ever seen thermos with a flat back... but then I don't get out much.

either way - I'd definitely touch base with chuck! :-)

congrats on the purchase!
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:44 PM 05-09-2010
You may also want to get a Johnson Controls Temp Control thingy. I have one for my units. Your unit appears to be a refrigerator type from where I'm standing. If you use the temp controller it may help with the humidity in the long run.
[Reply]
G G 07:45 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
The thermo is good but not required (agree with Matt) Scott Shilala says it can work very good with a compressor, you just have to do a few extra things.:-)
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 07:46 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
If you you buy Shilala HCM beads please don't do that, according to Shilala that won't end good if you do.:-)
How so? I haven't heard this before and am curious about the impact. Is the theory that the condensation isn't clean enough, or because the Shilala beads don't need the water to be "re-added"?

Sorry... didn't mean to threadjack...
[Reply]
Pat1075 07:49 PM 05-09-2010
no it was because of the amount of friction that is caused when water comes into direct contact with his beads can create enough heat to not only melt the bags they are packed in but damage other things around them. So the water has to come from an ambient source like sitting in a tupperware with a shotglass or somesuch.
[Reply]
G G 07:58 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by wolfandwhisky:
How so? I haven't heard this before and am curious about the impact. Is the theory that the condensation isn't clean enough, or because the Shilala beads don't need the water to be "re-added"?

Sorry... didn't mean to threadjack...
No problem. Shilala says to never add water directly to the beads cause of the friction it causes. there is a youtube video that shows the bad conseqeunces.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:10 PM 05-09-2010
No problem. Shilala says to never add water directly to the beads cause of the friction it causes. there is a youtube video that shows the bad conseqeunces.
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV8e...eature=related
[Reply]
G G 08:23 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Pat1075:
no it was because of the amount of friction that is caused when water comes into direct contact with his beads can create enough heat to not only melt the bags they are packed in but damage other things around them. So the water has to come from an ambient source like sitting in a tupperware with a shotglass or somesuch.
what he said, I was just too lazy to explain.:-)

Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV8e...eature=related
xactly
[Reply]
DropTheE 08:36 PM 05-09-2010
Congrats Larry, have fun filling that monster up. :-)
[Reply]
G G 08:37 PM 05-09-2010
Oh he will get it full.:-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 09:51 PM 05-09-2010
what he said, I was just too lazy to explain.:-)

xactly
no problem
[Reply]
icehog3 09:53 PM 05-09-2010
I told you so.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:54 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I told you so.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2