Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp Humidity problem !! Neep help
Mirrorlure7m 09:11 AM 04-24-2009
I need some help. In my Vinotemp 28bottle unit I have 2 pounds of 70%RH Heartfelt beads in the mesh bags they sell and also have 2 oust fans. I put 1 pound of the beads all the way on the botte and a oust fan there pointing it upwards. And I put a hygrometer down there also it is ready 73 to 75% RH with 68 Degree temps . Well on the top I also put 1 pound of the beads with the oust fan and it reads 67 to 69% RH with a 70degree temp. on the right side of the vinotemp. Then on the left side It reads 66 percent RH steady with 70 degree temp. I have the beads at the top of the unit on the right hand side. And the beads on the bottom in the center . I have 20 boxes in the unit. What should I do ? I want to have it at 70 RH . Should I try drying out the beads some ? If I need to dry them out how do I do that safely without hurting them for the long term ?? Please help me out here experts.
[Reply]
acarr 09:54 AM 04-24-2009
I would check your hygrometers first. Then you might consider drying them out after you are sure they are calibrated correctly. In mine, I just use the fan that came in the unit. It always runs and does a sufficient job. For humidification, I just put a glass of distilled water in there, the fan blows over it and it has held between 66 and 68 for about 4 months now and only adding water about 2 times. It works like a charm.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:13 AM 04-24-2009
I also noticed some of the beads are cracked and broken when they came in the mail not sure if that is normal ? But I have been trying to call Dave over at Heartfelt to check into this. But he must be busy .
[Reply]
md4958 10:21 AM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
I would check your hygrometers first. Then you might consider drying them out after you are sure they are calibrated correctly. .
:-)

Try changing the batteries in your hygros, and then re-calibrating... you might be suprised at how off they were.

If thats not the problem it might be that your sticks are still "wet" from purchase. How long have you had them? I notice a 3-4% spike in my RH when I add a fresh box to my Vino.

Also, 70% might be a tad high for your beads. You might want to consider 65% RH beads... This way it will keep you below that 70% mark in the Florida summer humidity. Just my :-)
[Reply]
md4958 10:23 AM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by Mirrorlure7m:
I also noticed some of the beads are cracked and broken when they came in the mail not sure if that is normal ? But I have been trying to call Dave over at Heartfelt to check into this. But he must be busy .
cracked beads shoudl still work fine
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:32 AM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
:-)

Try changing the batteries in your hygros, and then re-calibrating... you might be suprised at how off they were.

If thats not the problem it might be that your sticks are still "wet" from purchase. How long have you had them? I notice a 3-4% spike in my RH when I add a fresh box to my Vino.

Also, 70% might be a tad high for your beads. You might want to consider 65% RH beads... This way it will keep you below that 70% mark in the Florida summer humidity. Just my :-)
The batteries are new . They are digital so I am not sure how to calibrate a digital . I added about 20 boxes to the Vinotemp about 5 or 6 days ago . So I am not sure if it just needs time to stabilize ?
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:32 AM 04-24-2009
cracked beads shoudl still work fine
I was not aware they still work. Well that is a learning lesson. Thanks
[Reply]
acarr 10:36 AM 04-24-2009
What kind of hygrometer is it?
[Reply]
md4958 10:44 AM 04-24-2009
The batteries are new . They are digital so I am not sure how to calibrate a digital . I added about 20 boxes to the Vinotemp about 5 or 6 days ago . So I am not sure if it just needs time to stabilize ?
are the 20 boxes fresh from purchase?? if so, thats your culprit right there... however, being that one of your hygros is lower than the rest is suspicious too...

to calibrate you need to do the salt test (search: salt test), or get yourself one of the Bovieda Calibration packs (about $3.00 and SOOOOO worth it) Both should give you readings of 75% RH, if not, whatever the difference is, note it and youre calibrated.

The salt test is important so you know what your starting point is
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:50 AM 04-24-2009
are the 20 boxes fresh from purchase?? if so, thats your culprit right there... however, being that one of your hygros is lower than the rest is suspicious too...

to calibrate you need to do the salt test (search: salt test), or get yourself one of the Bovieda Calibration packs (about $3.00 and SOOOOO worth it) Both should give you readings of 75% RH, if not, whatever the difference is, note it and youre calibrated.

The salt test is important so you know what your starting point is
Should I stick a plastic bag with the calibration kit and hygrometer in the vinotemp since the tempature in the Vinotemp is alot lower then the air in my house?
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:55 AM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
What kind of hygrometer is it?
I have three different hygrometers in the vino. I stuck them next to each other on the bottom and they all said 74%RH and 68 degrees. Then stuck them almost to the top of the unit and they said 67% RH and 70 degrees so they are all reading the same. I just dont know why I am having such large jumps on the bottom of the unit.
[Reply]
md4958 10:55 AM 04-24-2009
Should I stick a plastic bag with the calibration kit and hygrometer in the vinotemp since the tempature in the Vinotemp is alot lower then the air in my house?
it should be calibrated at room temprature... your Vino shouldnt be lower than 60 degrees
[Reply]
md4958 10:56 AM 04-24-2009
I have three different hygrometers in the vino. I stuck them next to each other on the bottom and they all said 74%RH and 68 degrees. Then stuck them almost to the top of the unit and they said 67% RH and 70 degrees so they are all reading the same. I just dont know why I am having such large jumps on the bottom of the unit.
humidity is heavier than air, and will sink... its normal.

try pointing one of your oust fans slightly upwards to circulate the air
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 10:59 AM 04-24-2009
humidity is heavier than air, and will sink... its normal.

try pointing one of your oust fans slightly upwards to circulate the air
I have done that the bottom oust fan is pointed up ..
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 11:00 AM 04-24-2009
I have to head to work I will check back here when I get home later to see if there is anymore updates.
[Reply]
skullnrose 11:09 AM 04-24-2009
After adding that many boxes give it time to stabilize. Also try checking the humidity inside an empty cigar box in different locations inside the vinotemp.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:09 AM 04-24-2009
This really is not that big a deal. You are over obsessing. Dry out the beads at the bottom a bit(maybe 50/50). Check the Hi/Lo Rh over a 24hour period. If the swing is 6-8% you will be fine. I prefer my smokes at 65% but that is a personal choice. Put a hygrometer inside a closed box and you will get a better idea of the actual Rh of you sticks. The Rh of the air inside the Vino will experience swings of up to 10% depending on the cycling of the unit. :-)
[Reply]
scooter 01:54 PM 04-24-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This really is not that big a deal. You are over obsessing. Dry out the beads at the bottom a bit(maybe 50/50). Check the Hi/Lo Rh over a 24hour period. If the swing is 6-8% you will be fine. I prefer my smokes at 65% but that is a personal choice. Put a hygrometer inside a closed box and you will get a better idea of the actual Rh of you sticks. The Rh of the air inside the Vino will experience swings of up to 10% depending on the cycling of the unit. :-)
:-) He is correct.

I use 2 lbs of the same beads you are using and have not had a problem as it will stabilize out. Mine runs just under 70% and the cigars burn just fine. A lot of people like theirs at the 65% as their personal preference.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 02:25 PM 04-24-2009
humidity is heavier than air, and will sink
Just a slight correction. Humidity rises. Humid air is air with a lot of water vapour. Water vapour is a gas that is lighter than air so humid air is lighter than dry air. It might feel heavier but it isnt.
[Reply]
Mirrorlure7m 08:25 AM 04-25-2009
Originally Posted by scooter:
:-) He is correct.

I use 2 lbs of the same beads you are using and have not had a problem as it will stabilize out. Mine runs just under 70% and the cigars burn just fine. A lot of people like theirs at the 65% as their personal preference.
This is the odd part I dried out the beads both sets last night so I going to give it time to stabilze and see where they are at when I get home later. This morning they where at 76% RH on the bottom which is higher then it was before I dried the beads.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up