Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Need some advice
tomc3084 08:51 AM 06-05-2010
Ok, turns out both of my digital hydrometers are all over the place now. I put the most accurate one in with salt it reads 70%, okay....I then used a water pillow that is 67% and it reads 71%. I do not understand how it can be over AND under, guess it is just busted, you get what you pay for. Anyways, I know there is several places to get re-adjustable hydrometers online. My question to you is who do you think has the best out there. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answers.
Tommy
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:54 AM 06-05-2010
Change the battery :-)
[Reply]
Negncic 08:55 AM 06-05-2010
Who's to say that the water pillow is dead on at 67%? Your hydrometer might be correct.
[Reply]
tomc3084 09:07 AM 06-05-2010
it says on the back of the pillow it is made for 67%....
[Reply]
tomc3084 09:08 AM 06-05-2010
and I am not comfortable with something that MAY be correct...
[Reply]
papichulo 09:09 AM 06-05-2010
get the beads they seem to be more accurate
[Reply]
pnoon 09:16 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by tomc3084:
Ok, turns out both of my digital hydrometers are all over the place now. I put the most accurate one in with salt it reads 70%, okay....I then used a water pillow that is 67% and it reads 71%. I do not understand how it can be over AND under, guess it is just busted, you get what you pay for. Anyways, I know there is several places to get re-adjustable hydrometers online. My question to you is who do you think has the best out there. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your answers.
Tommy
Don't stress over the numbers.

Only one question matters - How are your cigars smoking? If you say fine, end-of-story.

Edit: If you are determined to resolve the "numbers", I would trust the hygrometer much more than a water pillow. :-)
[Reply]
cort 09:42 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Don't stress over the numbers.

Only one question matters - How are your cigars smoking? If you say fine, end-of-story.

Edit: If you are determined to resolve the "numbers", I would trust the hygrometer much more than a water pillow. :-)
I hate to admit it, but I'm with Pete on this one.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:44 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by Cort:
I hate to admit it, but I'm with Pete on this one.
:-)
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:49 AM 06-05-2010
There's also some correlation between temperature and relative humidity, could explain some of this variation. Not sure how it works, but I've noticed the RH reading in my glasstop varies a % or two as the temp rises & falls. I don't stress over a few percentage points--I figure I'm just keeping the leaves comfy until I torch them anyway, not running a science experiment :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:49 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
There's also some correlation between temperature and relative humidity, could explain some of this variation. Not sure how it works, but I've noticed the RH reading in my glasstop varies a % or two as the temp rises & falls. I don't stress over a few percentage points--I figure I'm just keeping the leaves comfy until I torch them anyway, not running a science experiment :-)
Exactly.
[Reply]
tomc3084 10:04 AM 06-05-2010
Thanks for the response. After reading what you guys said, well, I feel a lot more at ease now, lol. Thanks!
[Reply]
tomc3084 10:08 AM 06-05-2010
The only thing that bothers me is some of my cigars I have smoked recently self extinguish around the final third.....not that big of a deal I guess now that I think it over. It would be if upon relighting it tasted off, but it doesn't. I guess I should just dry box. The only thing that does worry me is what if I end up hanging onto a few smokes for years, can't 70 percent be a bad thing for long term aging? I have heard both sides of this story, so I just want to know what your experience is rather than what you think might happen. Thanks so much for your input guys.
[Reply]
BigCat 11:01 AM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by tomc3084:
The only thing that bothers me is some of my cigars I have smoked recently self extinguish around the final third.....not that big of a deal I guess now that I think it over. It would be if upon relighting it tasted off, but it doesn't. I guess I should just dry box. The only thing that does worry me is what if I end up hanging onto a few smokes for years, can't 70 percent be a bad thing for long term aging? I have heard both sides of this story, so I just want to know what your experience is rather than what you think might happen. Thanks so much for your input guys.
My understanding is that 70% is actually ideal for long term aging. Storing them at a lower RH slows down the process.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:39 PM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by BigCat:
My understanding is that 70% is actually ideal for long term aging. Storing them at a lower RH slows down the process.
Opinions vary....I find that low 60s is the best RH for the way I prefer my cigars to age. :-)
[Reply]
BigCat 04:10 PM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Opinions vary....I find that low 60s is the best RH for the way I prefer my cigars to age. :-)
Just like everything else in this hobby. I don't actually have first hand experience with long term aging - I've only been smoking for a few years and my cooler has 65% beads in it.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:17 PM 06-05-2010
Originally Posted by BigCat:
Just like everything else in this hobby. I don't actually have first hand experience with long term aging - I've only been smoking for a few years and my cooler has 65% beads in it.
But you're in the mix now, Colin, and experimenting is half the fun! :-)
[Reply]
Up