Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>How do I set up a Vinotemp?
gijoey959 11:07 AM 06-04-2010
I've been pondering how to build a cabinet humidor out of wood, but I gave up since its just too much stuff I don't have, so I found a scratch n dent place that had 58 bottle Vinotemps for $150 with 3 month warranty and I'm gonna get that.

What do I do after that?
[Reply]
TXRebel 12:16 PM 06-04-2010
If I’m not mistaken, the 58 bottle is not thermo electric, it is a compressor unit. Your RH will drop when the compressor runs.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 12:28 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by TXRebel:
If I’m not mistaken, the 58 bottle is not thermo electric, it is a compressor unit. Your RH will drop when the compressor runs.
That isn't really a big deal though.

Here's what you do - find some way to plug the hole that drains the condensed water. Depending upon your humidification system, I recommend actually somehow draining that condensed water back into your humidification (i.e. beads, but don't drain the water back if you use shilala beads).

Then, contact chasiden. Determine how you want it organized - maybe a couple of shelves for boxes, and a couple of drawers for singles and 5rs.

On the drawers, get solid bottoms with glass tops.

Call it a day.
[Reply]
MichaelJ 01:02 PM 06-04-2010
The RH drops when my thermoelectric Edgestar 28 turns on, then cycle back up after a little while. 2lb of Shilala beads in there with the drain plugged. I don't really see the advantage of a thermoelectric?
[Reply]
captain53 01:13 PM 06-04-2010
ChasDen Shelves/Drawers & Shilala Beads both found right here in the NutHouse! Be Patient and then Enjoy.:-)

As to the thermo vs compressor - I have thermo and have heard all the stories both ways so I will hope to see some reports from you on the performance after it is all set up and settled in which takes at least a month if not more. I would certainly love to have a much larger unit but 28 bottle was the biggest thermo cooled model made by anyone so that is what I have. If you produce good results I will be up-sizing very soon.:-)
[Reply]
Morgue 01:32 PM 06-04-2010
That is a big unit, and with a compressor you might be interested in an active humidification system like a cigar oasis. Plenty of beads should also work. Different points of view would argue that both active and passive (beads) might work, but requires a certain balance and tweaking to get there, and often more maintenance. Definitely read into that if that is how you want to go.

Condensation drainage will be an issue if you are planning on plugging it in, and depending on that unit (I am not familiar with it) you want to plug the drain and rig up some other form of collection. Several people use the heartfelt beads (Don't add water directly to Shilala beads) and have it drain into their beads, but I have read from several that adding large amounts of water to those beads will reduce their effectiveness. A popular option is a separate drain collection that you can manually empty from time to time.

There is also the option to install a separate thermostat that will control when the unit cools usually allowing for a temperature closer to 65 and 70 opposed to the lower temperatures that they normally maintain. This generally means that the cooling would be less frequent and less intense reducing the amount of condensation while keeping it closer to an ideal temp.

Storage might be an issue, unless you just want to throw boxes in there. As already mentioned chasidor.com makes custom shelves and drawers for units, and I personally think that is the best way to go. However getting your own scrap cedar to make some shelves or using fridge racks/shelves that allow circulation would also work. I would make the recommendation (and I am sure there are varying options on the matter) that having some kind of shelves with lids (chasidor has great options for this) will help buffer and protect the rh and temp swings within the unit. Using cigar boxes, or smaller humidors inside would also work. I see that several people store there sticks in the open on the inside of their fridges without issue too so you might want to wait and see if that is needed with your setup.

I am a fan of having the cedar shelves and drawers for the typical reasons (humidity buffer, smell, flavor etc.), but no reason to pay more if you want to keep it on the cheap. Just get a bunch of used boxes to store your sticks in.

Then once you get it all setup you need to start looking for something else bigger cause you will outgrow that at some point and need to make an addition :-)
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 02:33 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Morgue:

Then once you get it all setup you need to start looking for something else bigger cause you will outgrow that at some point and need to make an addition :-)
Best advice yet... before you know it, you'll be doing a closet conversion to have your own walk in
[Reply]
Up