Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>My New Humi
yachties23 02:30 PM 06-02-2010
Six Months of utter chaos finally calmed down. Between two moves, a huge-life changing experience, and the ups and downs of work, things took shape about six weeks ago, so I finally got to finish up my humidor project.

Here are some pics I snapped this afternoon

I'll have to search around to see if I have any of the rough build pictures laying around.

Some details:

Outer box is crafted from pine, put together with biscuit joints. Inside is lined with spanish cedar, drawer area is sealed off. Lighting is LED touch lights, and right now just has some of my cutters/lighters/ and ashtray.

Some issues:

Right now in NY humidity is never an issue. My desktop humidor never would never spike too high nor fall too low during the Summer, however during the Winter, it would drop a few points. Currently I have about 1/2 of beads and a few xikar crystal setups mounted on the side. I'm pondering going with something electronic, unless somebody here points me in a better direction.

As always, any input on how to maintain it, would be much appreciated.
[Reply]
1badhog07 02:32 PM 06-02-2010
nice chris...
[Reply]
Brutus2600 02:36 PM 06-02-2010
It sounds awesome! I don't see any pictures though? :-)
[Reply]
tomc3084 02:43 PM 06-02-2010
yes what about pics, we all love pics:-)
[Reply]
yachties23 02:58 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Sorry for some reason they weren't linking....

Here you go.

also please disregard the dust, lol... was too impatient when moving the furniture around to clean it up before shooting.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 03:05 PM 06-02-2010
Very nice Chris :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:05 PM 06-02-2010
Very nice indeed!! :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 03:06 PM 06-02-2010
Looks great! I love the end table look which people probably will do a double take to see it's a nice looking humidor :-)

For something that size I wouldn't worry with an active humidification system (oasis, etc). Honestly, if you have enough beads in there, it should keep it stable enough despite the season. Your temperature might fluctuate, especially being near what looks to be a sliding glass door or full length window, but the RH should be pretty stable. Might want to go up from 1/2 lb of beads to 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of beads. The two vendors I know of both have calculators on their site on how much you need for your size humidor.
[Reply]
DropTheE 03:27 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by yachties23:
Sorry for some reason they weren't linking....

Here you go.

also please disregard the dust, lol... was too impatient when moving the furniture around to clean it up before shooting.
Sweet!! There is nothing like a DIY humi. I wouldn't know anything about it because of my hands being all thumbs, but it sounds good. Great Job!!:-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:35 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Well, I wasn't going to say anything but.... :-)

Great Job Chris!
[Reply]
jimmyk26 03:52 PM 06-02-2010
Looks great. Also nice selection you got there :-)
[Reply]
yachties23 03:56 PM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by DropTheE:
Sweet!! There is nothing like a DIY humi. I wouldn't know anything about it because of my hands being all thumbs, but it sounds good. Great Job!!:-)
Can't take all the credit. The design was mine, and I did do all of the labor, but not without consulting with my dad. Dude has hands of gold, anything he touches turns out awesome.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:33 PM 06-02-2010
Very cool humi! Looks like some nice sticks too!
[Reply]
Barcode 10:58 PM 06-02-2010
Very Nice, is the drawer a storage place for singles?
[Reply]
yachties23 01:02 PM 06-03-2010
Nope, drawer is seperate from the cedar lined box itself. Just using it for storage of lighters, cutters, etc...
[Reply]
maninblack 01:16 PM 06-06-2010
Nice looking humi indeed! And damn nice selection also!
[Reply]
Up