Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cooler Question
Dukeuni 11:27 AM 05-25-2010
I have filled-up my older coolidor, and have a shipment coming in. I really do not know the size of my current coolidor. It was just a older cooler we had laying around, and I guess I would just consider it the "normal" size of outdoor cooler. It can hold 3-4 6-packs, etc. I know I need to go bigger, just not sure the sizes available.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this cooler, and if you had any other ideas for stores to purchase one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

I really do not see a reason to for wheels or a hand cart, but that appears to be all they have at Costco?

Thanks for the input!
[Reply]
OLS 11:30 AM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:

I really do not see a reason to for wheels or a hand cart, but that appears to be all they have at Costco
Thanks for the input!
The wheels and handle are so you can run from the ICEman. Or escape a fire with what really matters.

That cart looks like it ought a do for a month. I CAN say that the wheels and handle make the manipulation
and stacking of 5-6 ice chests a little testy. But who's counting. Sliding one normal ice chest over the
handle hump ice chest can upset your beads.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 11:31 AM 05-25-2010
I have filled-up my older coolidor, and have a shipment coming in. I really do not know the size of my current coolidor. It was just a older cooler we had laying around, and I guess I would just consider it the "normal" size of outdoor cooler. It can hold 3-4 6-packs, etc. I know I need to go bigger, just not sure the sizes available.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this cooler, and if you had any other ideas for stores to purchase one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

I really do not see a reason to for wheels or a hand cart, but that appears to be all they have at Costco?

Thanks for the input!

Save some money AND go bigger...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Pola...Cooler/3512888

I'm just sayin.:-)
[Reply]
Dukeuni 11:42 AM 05-25-2010
Does the Igloo Polar work well? Just notice that it is a LOT cheaper then the Coleman. Will it work well enough for the cigars? Heck, since it is for cigars, I do not need to be concerned with keeping ice frozen for 5 days at 90 Degrees. Just want to make sure it is a good cooler.
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:44 AM 05-25-2010
THis one's the appx the same size comes in cool blue and is 10 bux cheaper!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&
[Reply]
Dukeuni 11:46 AM 05-25-2010
Prices are all over the board. I must have been looking at the Coleman Xtreme "5's". Looks like a 120-150 Q cooler is the way to go, and that Wal-Mart may be by best bet.

How many lbs of beads do I need for a 120 and 150?
[Reply]
jimmyk26 11:47 AM 05-25-2010
I have an Igloo Family 52qt. cooler and it works great. I am actually going to head out and pick up another for the overflow... :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:52 AM 05-25-2010
I prefer a bit smaller cooler, 48-54qt is ideal for stacking in a closet. With the big coolers sometimes it can be difficult to locate a box.
[Reply]
Dukeuni 11:53 AM 05-25-2010
I guess I could just get 2 coolers. Keep my old one, and then buy another-one around the same size. Save money and be easier for storing.
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:18 PM 05-25-2010
Does the Igloo Polar work well?
OK, one thing to keep in mind here is it's a cooler, not a humidor. A cooler is designed to be a cooler, do they work well as humidors, yep. So if you're wondering if it's going to work well, just go take a look at it, look at the seal, that's about the only concern you have with a cooler. Absolutely none of them are any better than another when it comes to keeping your cigars at a certain temp, seal is the only thing. Will it smell like plastic for a while, yep. Just look at the seal, put a flashlight in it and look at it in a dark room. If need be, you can always use 1/8" or less weatherstripping on the seal if it's not good enough. Your cigars will be fine.
[Reply]
alwayslit 12:22 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Save some money AND go bigger...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Pola...Cooler/3512888

I'm just sayin.:-)
......thanks for the link. I've been looking for the 150qt marine at a good price:-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:24 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
......thanks for the link. I've been looking for the 150qt marine at a good price:-)
And...it's got built in cup holders!!! :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 12:25 PM 05-25-2010
How many lbs of beads do I need for a 120 and 150?
3/4 lbs for 120qt a full 1lbs should be fine for 120-150qrt.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:39 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
THis one's the appx the same size comes in cool blue and is 10 bux cheaper!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...dingMethod=rr&
I bought two of these at Walmart a couple of months ago and they are great.

As someone else pointed out there can be issues with the larger coolers -- finding that particular box, or just moving them around. If those are not problems for you then go for the larger ones as you can never have too much storage for your cigars.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 12:46 PM 05-25-2010
I guess I could just get 2 coolers. Keep my old one, and then buy another-one around the same size. Save money and be easier for storing.
This is what I am doing it is effective for the space that I have available. Stackable is great!
[Reply]
Morgue 01:01 PM 05-25-2010
Go bigger than you think you want now. I used the cheapest rectangle cooler from Walmart for two years, and it worked fine (I don't have to deal with high temps though)

In my Costco they have bigger coolers than what is listed online, and good prices on the marine coolers if you want to get beefy.

Just go Bigger than you think you need, and keep your current one. :-)
[Reply]
alwayslit 01:07 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
And...it's got built in cup holders!!! :-)
......just in time to get my drink on:-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 01:15 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by alwayslit:
......just in time to get my drink on:-)
Amen!
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 05:00 PM 05-25-2010
Does the Igloo Polar work well? Just notice that it is a LOT cheaper then the Coleman. Will it work well enough for the cigars? Heck, since it is for cigars, I do not need to be concerned with keeping ice frozen for 5 days at 90 Degrees. Just want to make sure it is a good cooler.
Works great. I have two that have been solid at 65/65 for two years or more with minimal re-hydration (Including the winter 0-5% Rh months in the Midwest).

Originally Posted by Jbailey:
3/4 lbs for 120qt a full 1lbs should be fine for 120-150qrt.
I've got 1.5 lbs. in each. But.... I like overkill. :-)

Also, to check the cooler seal, drop the lid at the store. If it slams, forget it. If it falls on a cushion of air, consider it.
[Reply]
Up