Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp vs. Edgestar vs. other?
Brutus2600 09:39 AM 05-24-2010
I've given up on building a classic style humidor because the temperature in my house fluctuates too much from summer to winter and I've decided to delve into the realms of wine cooler storage. Having poked around the forums and googling the question, I haven't really found any conversations about comparing cooler brands and models (maybe I failed in my search, but either way, I didn't find anything).

So here's my question. What brands are the most reliable? I see alot of people using Vinotemp and Edgestar coolers. I've seen some Avanti and a hodgepodge of other coolers used too, but the Vino and Edge seem to be the most popular.

I found a two year old Vinotemp 28 available on craigslist for $125, I think I might be able to get them down some on that price. Alternatively, I could wait until June 1st when Compact Appliance gets in more Edgestar 28's and get a brand new cooler for around $200 depending on their sale at the time.

So the plan is to find a cooler first, get some heartfelt beads and just stack cigar boxes I have in there to begin with. As soon as I can I'll be getting a couple of chasidors drawers and shelves to put in it and I'll be set with more storage than I should ever need (I say that now, haha :-)).

So, thoughts? Input? Or even happen to have a spare wine cooler laying around you'd want to sell? Appreciate all the advice :-)
[Reply]
colinb913 09:46 AM 05-24-2010
Vinotemp is the top of the line around here. I assume you know how to prepare it before adding boxes, correct? How about buying a few drawers right off the bat to keep it better organized. I am just sayin, I'd rather complete it before you move in. I would buy the vino from craigs, drawers/shelves, beads, then cigars. Oh, dont forget to clean it out first, and of course get one or two hygros.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Brutus2600 10:04 AM 05-24-2010
Yeah, one thing I did gather from all my searching was how to setup and maintain the cooler and what accessories to get and use with it as well. I never saw much about preference for one brand or another though.

And the order of doing things is a moot point now, I'm out of storage in my desktop humi and in temporary tupperdor storage, so I'm just looking for something I can get up and running ASAP, and adding all the extras on later (extras being drawers).
[Reply]
colinb913 10:05 AM 05-24-2010
Ohh I see. Then go ahead to use it quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Morgue 01:17 PM 05-24-2010
Couldn't say much on the differences. I have read people found the Vino's to hold temperatures more stable, but nothing definitive, and still many used addon thermostats. The digital readouts aren't the most accurate for temperature.

I have found that the Vino 28's and edgestar 28 are the most common used as humidors and might yield more useful info if you need to solve a specific problem, or wonder about its specific use. Also mods, accessories etc. for them are more common.

Since you need it soon perhaps what your local Home Depot, or Walmart etc. have might be the best solution for you.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 01:20 PM 05-24-2010
I just committed to buying the Vinotemp 28 from CL for a good price, so I'll be picking that up sometime this week. I think I'd be fine with either Edgestar or Vinotemp, so the fact I found a good deal on this one is enough of a push in one direction for me :-)

Thanks for the input though guys, I appreciate it!
[Reply]
kydsid 02:16 PM 05-24-2010
I was just wondering what in the world had happened to the Edgestar 28 on compactappliance's site. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I think a used Vino will do you fine. Especially for the price you got it at or lower. I will be adding a second Edgestar but wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Vino for that price.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 02:22 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I was just wondering what in the world had happened to the Edgestar 28 on compactappliance's site. Thanks for saving me a phone call. I think a used Vino will do you fine. Especially for the price you got it at or lower. I will be adding a second Edgestar but wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Vino for that price.
Haha, no problem. Yeah, I called them up and asked when they would have them in stock again and the guy checked and told me June 1st. How accurate that is I don't know, but that's what he said :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 03:50 PM 05-24-2010
So I got the seller to agree to $100 for the Vinotemp and spent $58 at heartfelt. Now to figure out what configuration I want with a Chasidor setup and I should be good to go for quite a long time. It'll feel nice to finally have some decent cigar storage, haha.
[Reply]
MortonMilo 04:07 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Now to figure out what configuration I want with a Chasidor setup and I should be good to go for quite a long time.
The hardest part with ordering from Chasden is the wait! I was like a kid waiting for a present.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 04:10 PM 05-24-2010
Yeah, I agree, I know the wait will be hard but it will be worth it. Also in the mean time I'll be ok. I have enough boxes that I'll have that cedar buffer and something to keep my sticks in.
[Reply]
Morgue 05:58 PM 05-24-2010
I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and the wait is hard, but the end result will be very nice.

This thread might help you decide on what chasidor setup to go with:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=chasidor
[Reply]
1badhog07 06:28 PM 05-24-2010
cant go wrong with chuck,you will be very happy!
[Reply]
Up