Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>tin lined 'antique' humidors?
weak_link 09:09 AM 05-15-2010
Just for kicks I search craigslist for humidors once in a while and I notice a lot of the claimed antique humidors have tin lined interiors. Was this pretty standard at one point in place of spanish cedar in an attempt to hold in some moisture?
[Reply]
T.G 09:15 AM 05-15-2010
Yes, tin and copper both were commonly used to seal the humidors. Some humidors will also have a ceramic, like a thick tile, humidification element that one would take out periodically and soak in a bucket of water.

Addendum: tin/copper sheeting were also commonly used for quick conversion of things like end tables w/ a cabinet door into a humidor. So, depending on what you are looking at, it might never have been designed as a humidor initially.
[Reply]
captain53 09:44 AM 05-15-2010
I have a for sure authentic one that I inherited with some furniture and other items including old pipes from an Uncle who was a pipe and cigar smoker from the 1930's - 1950's. It looks somewhat like a small bookshelf with a center cabinet and the cabinet is copper lined. They are not generally very valuable though and for sure not extremely functional for holding smokes as they are not very tight. Great little pieces for your man-cave though.
[Reply]
Up