Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor from Hell
Northern Lights 10:56 PM 05-09-2010
Hey inmates! What's going on? I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or directions on my situation here.

SO, I have a 150 count desktop humidor and it is freakin beautiful. However, the humidity keeps dropping down from 90% (empty and dabbed with distilled water with a cigar oasis humidifier in it) and then dropping to low 60's with about 30 sticks in it after 2 days. What is going on? I am trying to keep my level from 65-70 and I am having no such luck! I am seriously banging my head against the wall here and ripping my hair out. The frustration has reached a boiling point to say the least!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:00 PM 05-09-2010
Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Checked the humidor's seal for leaks?
[Reply]
Northern Lights 11:03 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Have you calibrated your hygrometer? Checked the humidor's seal for leaks?
Well my hygrometer is electronic but no. Is it possible to calibrate such a kind? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any leaks. Thanks for your help.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:05 PM 05-09-2010
Originally Posted by Northern Lights:
Well my hygrometer is electronic but no. Is it possible to calibrate such a kind? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any leaks. Thanks for your help.
Salt test (should be threads in this forum) for calibrating a digital hygrometer.

Flashlight test for your seals.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 04:34 AM 05-10-2010
Have you seasoned the humi? It can take a week or 2 to stabilize a new humi.

If not, move your sticks to a temporary storage (tupperware) and start seasoning the humi. Be patient. It can't be rushed (even though we sure try sometimes). :-)
[Reply]
OLS 06:52 AM 05-10-2010
I have a few humidors I bought cause they were cheap. When you first get into cigars, you look at
these nice units, 1500-3000 bucks and you are like, HELL no. And there is still no reason to feel
you need one to get a good seal. But cheap humis often have a hard time keeping a stable humidity.
I get BEADS that say they will keep humidity stable at 65 and then I add water as they change
color. But all my humidors are cheap, and none will keep steady humidity. But I use humidors to
dry box mostly, so I never got really mad.

It is also good to salt test ANY hygrometer, just to let you know where you stand.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:20 AM 05-10-2010
The Oasis is overkill for a humidor that small :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:30 AM 05-10-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
The Oasis is overkill for a humidor that small :-)
That's likely why the RH was up to 90% before filling it. :-)
[Reply]
Northern Lights 04:17 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
Have you seasoned the humi? It can take a week or 2 to stabilize a new humi.

If not, move your sticks to a temporary storage (tupperware) and start seasoning the humi. Be patient. It can't be rushed (even though we sure try sometimes). :-)
What procedures should I follow to season it properly?
[Reply]
icehog3 04:44 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by Northern Lights:
What procedures should I follow to season it properly?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
[Reply]
captain53 05:10 PM 05-13-2010
Start all over Season Properly (plenty of directions on here about that) and while waiting order some Shilala Beads right here on the site and then go forward. Oh yeah, put that Oasis on Craigslist and get whatever you can back out of it. :-)

Test and Set the Hygro

Now Put Cigars In and Relax.:-)

Shilala Beads: http://www.shilalasbeads.com/
[Reply]
colinb913 06:08 PM 05-13-2010
Just throwing this out there.. The cigars you put into the humi will suck the humidity down to a low level, as they absorb moisture. I dont know how long the sticks have been in the humi, but it could take a few days to completely stabilize 30-40 cigars.. Atleast that was what happened to me.. Salt test the hygro, and get beads like the other guys have stated.
[Reply]
Up