Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cedar Oil?
dox47 03:31 PM 10-19-2009
I got a brainstorm when I saw some in the aromatherapy rack at the health food store the other day, so I'm running a little experiment in humidor "cedaring". I got a bundle of decent if slightly bland Value Line Dominican Panatellas, and after smoking a few to get a baseline, 5 of them are now resting in a sealed box inside my humi with a little bowl containing some humi-gel with a few drops of cedar oil added. I plan on smoking them at intervals head to head with the conventionally stored sticks to see if the extra cedar made any noticeable difference, and if so whether it's a desirable one. I'm not looking to make Acid style infused sticks here, but more interested to see if I can come up with a sort of speed aging hack for inexpensive sticks. I'll post updates as I smoke the "improved" sticks, they've been in there about a week now.

On a side note, I got further inspired by the oil and made sort of a mini diffuser type contraption to put in my closet, now THAT has been a smashing success. All my coats now have a pleasant, very light cedar scent on them, and I know they will stay moth free.
[Reply]
timo 03:43 PM 10-19-2009
Very interesting. Keep us posted
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:56 PM 10-19-2009

I'm sure someone else will say this better than I can; there is a big difference in Cedar and Spanish cedar. The stuff you put in your closet to keep moths at bay is not the same as Spanish cedar!!!

They are from entirely different families!!!

The wood is often sold under the name "Spanish-cedar" (like many trade names, confusing as it is neither Spanish nor a cedar), and is the traditional wood used for making cigar boxes, as well as being used for general outdoor and construction work, panelling and veneer wood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrela
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:57 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by dox47:
I'm not looking to make Acid style infused sticks here, but more interested to see if I can come up with a sort of speed aging hack for inexpensive sticks. I'll post updates as I smoke the "improved" sticks, they've been in there about a week now.
How is cedar oil supposed to speed age a cigar?
[Reply]
ade06 03:58 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
How is cedar oil supposed to speed age a cigar?
:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:01 PM 10-19-2009
I wish you luck with your experiment, Case, but I'd as soon put Old Spice in my hummie. JMHO.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:33 PM 10-19-2009
Good luck with this one.

I am not sure what it has to do with "aging" as others have said. But this does have interesting implications for those of us who store our cigars in the sock drawer. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 04:41 PM 10-19-2009
at least your cigars will be moth-free :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:41 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Good luck with this one.

I am not sure what it has to do with "aging" as others have said. But this does have interesting implications for those of us who store our cigars in the sock drawer. :-)

I just keep my surplus in there!!! No need to get nasty!!!
[Reply]
md4958 04:44 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:

I just keep my surplus in there!!! No need to get nasty!!!
where do you keep your socks???

oh THATS what the drawers are for in my cabinet!!
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:46 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
where do you keep your socks???

oh THATS what the drawers are for in my cabinet!!

I like my socks fresh and my cigars crisp!!!
[Reply]
T.G 04:49 PM 10-19-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Good luck with this one.

Funny story almost relating to that...

Someone I know from another site built a small humidor entirely out of the cedar grilling planks you buy in the supermarket by the fish counter, then stuck a bunch of uncello'd CI Legends Yellow (Pepin) cigars in there for something like 8 months (maybe it was longer than that). Then he sent them out in a blind taste test. Everyone was raving about them. They had no idea it was just a rather mediocre cigar that was, for all intents and purposes, stored in what essentially amounted to a sock drawer.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:19 PM 10-19-2009
Maybe this is the Drew Estate's Acid secret?
[Reply]
dox47 06:42 PM 10-19-2009
I actually did a little research before starting this experiment, including looking up the reasons behind using Spanish cedar for humis, checking out cigars with individual cedar wrappers, and a whole lot of sniffing of various boxes, cedar tubes, etc. From what I understand, Spanish cedar is used both for it's humidity regulating properties, and because it's aroma is considered beneficial to cigar aging. Since I'm using humigel to control the humidity, all I'm concerned with is the affect of the aroma on the sticks, and since the oil is nothing but a concentrated version of that aroma, I wanted to see the effect of increasing the cedar concentration, and if there is a point at which there is too much cedar.

After ascertaining that the cedar tubes from a 5 Vegas series A, the cedar sheets that came in my box of Diablo Picantes, and my cedar oil all smelled nearly identical, I decided to see if I could speed up the proccess of adding a very light cedar aroma to my inexpensive sticks to improve their flavor in a subtle way. I think of this as being similar to running cheap vodka through a Brita a few times to try to make it smoother, with a little more thought behind it. I don't know if the extra cedar will help with mellowing a harsh stick the way standard aging will, but I'm hoping that it will add some extra flavor and dimension to a bland one. I chose to try the experiment on panatellas because of their small ring gauge, since the wrapper contributes more to the flavor I believe that any changes will be easier to detect in the modified sticks.

This is pretty typical of me, I'm that guy that never leaves well enough alone, and am always looking to strike out into uncharted waters with my hobbies.
[Reply]
ade06 07:02 PM 10-19-2009
I think of this as being similar to running cheap vodka through a Brita a few times to try to make it smoother.
Now that is something I would try.:-):-) Well... at least in my college days.
[Reply]
RRocket 08:53 PM 10-19-2009
I don't know that they will age any quicker, but the oil may infuse into the tobacco some...
[Reply]
SilverFox 09:04 PM 10-19-2009
I actually did a little research before starting this experiment, including looking up the reasons behind using Spanish cedar for humis, checking out cigars with individual cedar wrappers, and a whole lot of sniffing of various boxes, cedar tubes, etc. From what I understand, Spanish cedar is used both for it's humidity regulating properties, and because it's aroma is considered beneficial to cigar aging. Since I'm using humigel to control the humidity, all I'm concerned with is the affect of the aroma on the sticks, and since the oil is nothing but a concentrated version of that aroma, I wanted to see the effect of increasing the cedar concentration, and if there is a point at which there is too much cedar.

After ascertaining that the cedar tubes from a 5 Vegas series A, the cedar sheets that came in my box of Diablo Picantes, and my cedar oil all smelled nearly identical, I decided to see if I could speed up the proccess of adding a very light cedar aroma to my inexpensive sticks to improve their flavor in a subtle way. I think of this as being similar to running cheap vodka through a Brita a few times to try to make it smoother, with a little more thought behind it. I don't know if the extra cedar will help with mellowing a harsh stick the way standard aging will, but I'm hoping that it will add some extra flavor and dimension to a bland one. I chose to try the experiment on panatellas because of their small ring gauge, since the wrapper contributes more to the flavor I believe that any changes will be easier to detect in the modified sticks.

This is pretty typical of me, I'm that guy that never leaves well enough alone, and am always looking to strike out into uncharted waters with my hobbies.
This is all well and good except for one thing.

Spanish Cedar is in fact not cedar at all which is a coniferous tree. Spanish Cedar is a deciduous tree very similar to Mahogany.

Also typical Cedar Oil doesn't come from Cedars but usually Junipers and is also not considered safe for consumption.

Just some thoughts to go on.
[Reply]
Up