Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Moist-N-Air and cabinet
BengalMan 09:35 AM 10-16-2009
Since moving into our house, I have been meaning to get an active humidification unit for my 3,000 count cabinet since the Hydra just wasn't cutting it. I finally got a Moist-N-Air and set it up a day and a half ago. This morning I also picked up a new digital hygro as I lost my other in the move. Upon going up to the humidor to put the new hygro in, I noticed that there was condensation on the inside of the bottom glass pane, and when opening the humidor door, about half of one of the cedar strips on the door was wet, it seemed very saturated. Judging by the water level, the Moist-N-Air has been running full bore since I put it in as half the water was already gone. The Moist-N-Air is located on the bottom of the cabinet in the back left corner. This is the only place it can go as the outlet is down there and the cord is too thick to run through the drawers and to the top.

My question is this:

Does the Moist-N-Air have a internal hygro inside it where it will turn on and off when the desired humidity it's set to is reached,, or does it run constantly? Secondly, is there a leak in the humidor door seal and the result is the condensation? In the past i've used 4lbs of beads and never had any problems with my cabinet, but now this has me a little worried. Any advice would be great. I'll update the thread later today with humidity readings and if condensation is building once again.
[Reply]
HK3- 10:09 AM 10-16-2009
Ian-

I went with the larger Oasis http://www.cigaroasis.com/index.php/cigar-oasis-ii-xl because the Moist-n-air seem to be a little old fashion. If you are still able to return it, I would suggest doing so. :-)

The one above has options of additional circulation fans. Mine works great.
[Reply]
BengalMan 11:34 AM 10-16-2009
Well I set the Moist-N-Air to 50% before I left because it was running like a banshee. I just got back and humidity levels are reading 79%!!! I just opened the humidor for a bit to let it air out. I think this is all a combination of the Moist-N-Air being introduced into a new enviornment, and the beads barely cutting it in the past making the cedar a little dry. I'm confident I can get it to level out, it may just take a few days of playing with it.
[Reply]
Dux 11:51 AM 10-16-2009
Dose the Moist-N-Air have a white box "Should be the Humistat Control" on the top?
That should regulate the humidity but you might want to put the unit in the middle of your Humidor. I found the middle to be the ideal spot when using that unit. Also set the gauge lower then your desired
Humidity those units hold a heck of a lot of water so that's going to add a few levels of humidity.

Keep playing "lowering the dial" till the Humidor balances out.

-Doug/Dux
[Reply]
bobarian 12:17 PM 10-16-2009
PM Ratters, He uses a MoistNAir in his tower. He loves it.
[Reply]
Dux 12:19 PM 10-16-2009
What cabinet do you have? I was able to run the power cord down the front of mine. I know its not attractive but it worked..
[Reply]
T.G 12:28 PM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by Dux:
Dose the Moist-N-Air have a white box "Should be the Humistat Control" on the top?
That should regulate the humidity but you might want to put the unit in the middle of your Humidor. I found the middle to be the ideal spot when using that unit. Also set the gauge lower then your desired
Humidity those units hold a heck of a lot of water so that's going to add a few levels of humidity.

Keep playing "lowering the dial" till the Humidor balances out.

-Doug/Dux
The control dial on the moist-n-aire isn't particuarly accurate - you have to use a seperate hygrometer and based on that reading, you dial the setting up or down.
[Reply]
Dux 12:40 PM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
The control dial on the moist-n-aire isn't particuarly accurate - you have to use a seperate hygrometer and based on that reading, you dial the setting up or down.
I had mine set at 50% to get the cab at 65%.. I had a moist-n-aire for years.
Since my Cab was just about 7 feet tall I also had 3 separate Hydros every 2 feet.
[Reply]
BengalMan 01:20 PM 10-16-2009
Yeah Dux, mine is around 50% or so and its looking like that's where it's going to stay. Going to keep playing with it though.
[Reply]
T.G 01:23 PM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by Dux:
I had mine set at 50% to get the cab at 65%.. I had a moist-n-aire for years.
Since my Cab was just about 7 feet tall I also had 3 separate Hydros every 2 feet.
precisely! :-)
[Reply]
Gonesledn 02:04 PM 10-16-2009
i use the Moistnaire in my cabinet as well. i love it. no cartridges to refill, just top off the res and thats it. the adjustment is not very accurate, but once you get it dialed in just like T.G. says its golden.

i also run 2 small computer fans in the corners to circulate the air to even up the differance from top to bottom.

my cab is about 6' x 4' x 18" and been running smooth for a few years now.

Originally Posted by T.G:

[Reply]
bvilchez 08:12 PM 10-19-2009
Any updates?
[Reply]
Up