Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>A Tweetador? YES!
truevox 03:59 PM 09-17-2009
Just wanted to bring this up, for anyone who's interested. I heard about it on Slashdot - it's a Humidor that's integrated with the Twitter Microblogging platform to keep you up to date on it's humidity!

http://longashes.org/blog/2009/09/16...r-that-tweets/

I'm SO building one of these!!!

(If this is the wrong board for this, I'm sorry, still new here and getting my bearings)
[Reply]
T.G 04:07 PM 09-17-2009
[Reply]
dunng 04:59 PM 09-17-2009
Yes please... :-)
[Reply]
tenbaseg 05:46 PM 09-17-2009
Waaaay too much time on their hands.
[Reply]
captain53 05:59 PM 09-17-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
Dittos:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:06 PM 09-17-2009
I think it's cool. Not for the every day use but if you have to travel for a longer time you can still monitor your humi and that is WAY COOL.
[Reply]
truevox 06:10 PM 09-17-2009
Well, for me, it's just a matter of forcing me to keep an eye on things. I can be quite oblivious to life unless it's forcibly brought to the forefront. :-)

Also, for the record, I don't think I'd have this tweeting on MY twitter (or facebook or what have you). More as a private stream for me to keep track of.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 06:13 PM 09-17-2009
Was there a total cost for the project listed anywhere?
[Reply]
Labman 08:47 AM 10-01-2009
I think it's actually kind of neat...if for nothing else, than it allows you to monitor how outside weather changes/time of day affect the homeostasis of your humidor, without having to open the humidor to have a look. I'm not saying I'm build make one, but it is kind of neat!
[Reply]
HK3- 08:51 AM 10-01-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
Doh :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 03:14 AM 10-16-2009
not sure why they took the time to do all that and didn't bother to implement some form of wireless interface to broadcast packets, then have a daemon server pick them up, parse, and process to the sql db.... least that's what I would have done....

Thought about doing something like this for my capstone project, only with bluetooth... and not using twitter, but a custom widget app for the desktop.
[Reply]
gnukfu 09:37 AM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
not sure why they took the time to do all that and didn't bother to implement some form of wireless interface to broadcast packets, then have a daemon server pick them up, parse, and process to the sql db.... least that's what I would have done....

Thought about doing something like this for my capstone project, only with bluetooth... and not using twitter, but a custom widget app for the desktop.
:-) - I have no friggin clue what all this means but is sounds kewl......
[Reply]
TheTraveler 09:46 AM 10-16-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:

The humi periodically updates the logfile in the sql database. Then a separate app on your WM phone could periodically connect to the db and notify you of any large swings in temp or humidity (you set the definition of "large swing") without you even having to check it yourself. You'd just get a little alarm if things got out of normal ranges. :-)
[Reply]
Up