Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar help
big a 09:09 PM 08-17-2009
This is for anyone that has the Xikar cigar cutter(the xi2 style). My friend gifted me this for my birthday because the place he went to said that palios were no longer around :-) So it seems lately that all it does is mess the cigar up. The cut it not straight at all, and about 1 out of 8 times it just crushes the cigar and splits the wrapper :-) I don't think I can take it to loose another good cigar due to this cutter. So any last ideas before i try to find a palio? Its only a couple months old so I wouldn't think it needs sharpened already. I would like to keep it as one of my best friends got it for me im just getting very annoyed with it.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:11 PM 08-17-2009
Have you cleaned it really good with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip? Make sure all the debris is out of the cracks.

How long have you had it, a few months? They have a similar lifetime warranty (just like Palio)...if the problem stil persists, just take it to the place you got it.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 09:22 PM 08-17-2009
I've always felt like the quality control on the Xi2's was sub-par. I have friends who have the all-metal ones, and they are built like tanks. By contrast, both of my Xi2's feel flimsy. I agree with Michael, you always have the option of sending it back to get replaced or repaired. I had an Xi2 completely fall apart on me. I sent it back and got it back in less than 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 11:11 PM 08-17-2009
Has it been inconsistent lately or has it always given you an inconsistent cut?
[Reply]
skullnrose 11:21 PM 08-17-2009
The xilar always seems to leave a little nub when cut. where the palio is a much cleaner cut to me anyway. Make sure you are just cutting the bear minimum off the cap to avoid crushing the cigar. If it's in the cards get a Palio you'll never look back.
[Reply]
Cigary 01:19 AM 08-18-2009
I have this cutter as well. Try moistening the tip of the cigar just a little bit and then position the cutter on the table with the cigar upright,,,make a nice swift cutting motion. If that doesn't give you a clean cut then send it to the company and they will give you a new one.
[Reply]
prophetnoir 06:44 AM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
I have this cutter as well. Try moistening the tip of the cigar just a little bit and then position the cutter on the table with the cigar upright,,,make a nice swift cutting motion. If that doesn't give you a clean cut then send it to the company and they will give you a new one.
I have a Xikar Xi3 model and I have no complaints whatsoever. I make all of my cuts in the manner that Cigary describes, except for the moistening of the tip. My cuts are always straight, smooth and at the perfect depth. Send it back for a replacement and if that one still doesn't work, get yourself that Palio. We Xikar fans won't hate on you for it. :-)
Nothing matters more than the cigars, and we cannot let them be ruined by the tools we use. :-)
[Reply]
Tenor CS 10:16 AM 08-18-2009
For the sake of completeness, let me state that my poor-performing Xi2 came as part of one of those Cbid deals that includes 4-5 Don Pepin sticks and a Xikar cutter. It was a good deal, and now that Xikar has replaced the cutter, it's fine. But from when I first got it, something felt "off" about it. After opening and closing it 5-6 times, it came apart in my hands.
[Reply]
aich75013 10:30 AM 08-18-2009
I have an Xi3 and it doesn't cut as good as my Palio.
I assume it is user error, though.
I am still trying to improve my cuts with it.
I haven't tried the table method, so I may try that.

It did start to stick a bit. I may try to oil it. I've only had it a month and used it a handful of times.
[Reply]
big a 03:35 PM 08-18-2009
The cuts have always had the common knotch in the middle of the cigar. I think it is a mix of me smoking more in the past 2 months and there for using it more. I have had it since May now and like i said the last two months it just seems to be hit or miss. I did pick up some sticks from the B&M that were very very wet (stored at around 74 according to their hygro) and the cut was very well. I am going to try wetting the end like i do with a punch to try and save the wrapper. I even keep my cigars at 67% so they are still pretty wet to where there shouldn't be any issues. If things keep up i guess i will have to send it in...... and get a palio to hold me over
[Reply]
Waynegro1 03:58 PM 08-18-2009
1. Put your cigar into your Xi2 (or any Xikar guillotine cutter)
2. Line up where you want to cut
3. Close blades with just enough pressure to hold it (cigar) in place
4. With cigar hand apply slight inward pressure toward cutter
5. Swiftly cut your cigar

You shouldn't have a nub or bump or...well, you know what I mean.
Give it a shot a couple of times and see if that helps. :-)
[Reply]
big a 04:04 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Waynegro1:
1. Put your cigar into your Xi2 (or any Xikar guillotine cutter)
2. Line up where you want to cut
3. Close blades with just enough pressure to hold it (cigar) in place
4. With cigar hand apply slight inward pressure toward cutter
5. Swiftly cut your cigar

You shouldn't have a nub or bump or...well, you know what I mean.
Give it a shot a couple of times and see if that helps. :-)
I have tried applying pressure in different directions (up, down). I will have to try this next time. Thanks for the help I'll let everyone know if I find a trick that works.
[Reply]
Up