Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>My humidor has betrayed me!!
alexa071 05:21 AM 03-02-2011
I bought this humidor less than 6 months ago...

It was a Devil's site purchase... the Treasure Dome Humidor. I treated this thing like my baby... and it betrayed me. I took it out of it's normal resting place to do an official inventory. I put it on the table and opened the lid. When I took my hand away from the lid it continued backwards and fell off! What the hell?! :-) :-)

Upon closer inspection it isn't really made of any kind of wood at all. When you look under the hinges you can see it is made of some cheap particle board crap and it is lined with cedar. Where the screws were installed the particle board just split so there was nothing holding the majority of the screws in place.

I've got a customer service request in with the Devil's site so we'll see what they say. Otherwise I might have to go over to that waxing moon thread... might be saving my money for awhile by the looks of it!

Randy
[Reply]
thecatch83 05:44 AM 03-02-2011
Reason #148 to just get a coolidor, and scrap the idea of owning anything nice in terms of a desktop humidor. That wood looks like it was a soup kitchen for termites. Sorry about your loss Randy, but I would contact cigar auction and see what they have to say....i'm curious is to how this will turn out! You might want to take some high resolution pics and include them in an email to their customer support team.
[Reply]
chand 07:33 AM 03-02-2011
That is crazy! Good luck with CS. Can't wait to see what happens.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 07:45 AM 03-02-2011
Time to talk to Waxing Moon! :-) :-)

Hoping to do the same thing myself once they ol Income tax comes in. Fortunately I haven't had this kind of problem with my 'dor yet. yesh! Thats a nightmare, good luck with the Devil!
[Reply]
md4958 08:01 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
Reason #148 to just get a coolidor, and scrap the idea of owning anything nice in terms of a desktop humidor. .
I dont really think you have to scrap the idea of owning "anything nice in terms of a desktop" just because of one situation. I would say this is the exception, not the rule.

Many guys here have beautiful desktops that they have owned for years.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 08:04 AM 03-02-2011
It's unfortunate that the hinges fell off like that, but just get your favorite super glue of choice and you should be able to patch things up quickly.
[Reply]
T.G 09:11 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by alexa071:
Upon closer inspection it isn't really made of any kind of wood at all. When you look under the hinges you can see it is made of some cheap particle board crap and it is lined with cedar.
Pretty much all of the inexpensive humidors are built out of veneered pressboard, you can basically count on it. Doesn't mean it's bad per se, just inexpensive.

As for your issue, the lid tearing loose from the hinges on the Treasure Dome humidors is not unheard of. Over the years, I've seen posts from others who have experienced the same problem. A good part of it has to do with the excessive weight of the lid pulling on the screws and being a scattered problem it might be an intermitant manufacturing issue.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:17 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:
It's unfortunate that the hinges fell off like that, but just get your favorite super glue of choice and you should be able to patch things up quickly.
And jam some toothpicks into the old holes so there's something for the screws to bite on when you put it back together.

It also looks like you need some more sticks. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:22 AM 03-02-2011
Gorilla glue and some toothpicks will fix it right up. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Average Joe 09:42 AM 03-02-2011
Fix the cracks then glue some tight fitting dowels in the holes. Re-drill holes and re-screw the lid on.

Cheaper than a new humi, but might not solve hte problem for good.
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 09:46 AM 03-02-2011
Good luck with a refund
[Reply]
OLS 10:02 AM 03-02-2011
That is a toughie, but one you saw coming, I am sure. Humidor search always goes like this: $1500 for a humidor,
are they crazy!!! Let's see, I'll do a search for the word humidor and the word cheap. Ah yes, there
we go." $45 bucks, now that's more like it. You get the humidor, it looks like quite a fine piece of cabinetry,
you fill it, you forget the pricetag, and one day it all comes rushing back to you.

I agree, invest this time in a cooler that seals up tight, get some beads, use your old broken lower half as
a singles drawer IN THE COOLER and move on. Don't buy the cheapest cooler you can find, shop around
for a good one while you get used to opening your old humidor with two hands, lol.
You'll be alright. And like Howard said, good luck with a refund, cheap is cheap and there's a reason for it.
[Reply]
Killian 11:16 AM 03-02-2011
De-hinge, add weather stripping and use it with fully removable lid. Easy Peasy.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 12:20 PM 03-02-2011
While I think you could fix it with some clamps, wood glue and filler, I don't know if it would be worth it. It might not stay fixed for long.

Humidors tend to be something where you get what you pay for. I still have my first one, which I've had close to twenty years now. It wasn't a cheap one, but it's solid wood, still looks like new and holds humidity perfectly. Lot of cigars have cycled through that little desktop. My cabinet, which I got a few years back, cost an obscene amount but will probably outlast me by a good hundred years. Maybe a couple of hundred. :-)

If you really want a humidor, pay the money and get one of quality. If you just want storage, go with a cooler - it's the best bang for your buck.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:33 PM 03-02-2011
I bought this humidor less than 6 months ago...

It was a Devil's site purchase... the Treasure Dome Humidor. I treated this thing like my baby... and it betrayed me. I took it out of it's normal resting place to do an official inventory. I put it on the table and opened the lid. When I took my hand away from the lid it continued backwards and fell off! What the hell?! :-) :-)

Upon closer inspection it isn't really made of any kind of wood at all. When you look under the hinges you can see it is made of some cheap particle board crap and it is lined with cedar. Where the screws were installed the particle board just split so there was nothing holding the majority of the screws in place.

I've got a customer service request in with the Devil's site so we'll see what they say. Otherwise I might have to go over to that waxing moon thread... might be saving my money for awhile by the looks of it!

Randy
Same Exact Problem With Same Humidor, Randy. That's When I Bought An Awesome Humidor From Ed (Waxingmoon) & Problem Solved!
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:35 PM 03-02-2011
What the hell?! :-) :-)
All I can say is MDF! You get what you pay for.
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 12:41 PM 03-02-2011
Ok - I had SAME issue with a brand new one with same type of ******* wood, mine was a Salerno. It can be saved! Take out screws, and goto your local Harbor Freight, and get there 5 mix epoxy, mix up and use toothpick to push epoxy into holes, ( you only have five min after you mix so only do one hinge at a time, and support the lid! ). after putting epoxy in, put screws back and wipe off excess. Worked for me.
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:51 PM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
And jam some toothpicks into the old holes so there's something for the screws to bite on when you put it back together.
Unless he does that, clamps the effected area together, predrills and keeps the clams in while screwing in the new screws, you'll most likely run into problems again. The MDF that the humidor is made from will simply push apart again once screws are brought back into the equation. What you're doing is putting more mass in a material that is not holding, so when the screws "bite" into the toothpicks, they'll more than likely blow out again.
[Reply]
GolfNut 01:08 PM 03-02-2011
^^ +1

What you could do if it's worth it, is glue and clamp the affected area, drill out the screw holes and glue in hardwood dowels. Once set, drill screw holes into hardwood dowels and reassemble.

Or start saving up and speak to someone about a custom built desktop

Or, run down and pick up a tupperdore

Or run down and get a coleman cooler for a coolidor

Or.....

You do have options if the vendor doesn't take care of you. Hopefully they will and this is all for nothing. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 02:20 PM 03-02-2011
Glad I lost the auction on mine, after seeing this thread. Good Luck.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up