Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Creative Crockpot Cooking
68TriShield 01:24 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
True dat! I've used it as a marinade before putting some cuts on the smoker. Never tried it in the crockpot. Just bought a 24-pack (same price as a 12 pack this week), so maybe that will get hauled out ...

so many great ideas!
I added a can to a Venison roast the other morning that went for eight hours or so.
It came out fork tender,just delicious.You really can't taste the soda at all.
[Reply]
captain53 02:16 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Cant go wrong with a package or two of onion soup mix and a bottle of red wine. :-)
Whatever you do don't waste the bottle of red wine on the meat - drink it while the meat slow cooks so you and the meat are crocked!
[Reply]
markem 02:56 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by captain53:
Whatever you do don't waste the bottle of red wine on the meat - drink it while the meat slow cooks so you and the meat are crocked!
lol! I know several merlots and pinots that are really only good for imparting flavor in cooking. I tend to buy a different bottle of wine as a control for the cook.
[Reply]
ghostrider 10:40 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
If you do, I would recommend using a beer that does not have a strong hops presence (IPAs, etc) as in a long cook the hops can make the dish taste grassy. Dark malty beers work well in long low cooks.:-)
I poured in a bottle of guinness for a steak that was overly dried on a smoker...came out amazing...
[Reply]
captain53 06:30 AM 01-05-2011
lol! I know several merlots and pinots that are really only good for imparting flavor in cooking. I tend to buy a different bottle of wine as a control for the cook.

Julia Childs always said if a wine was not suitable to drink you should not expect food cooked with it to be any different!:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:22 AM 01-05-2011
Julia Childs always said if a wine was not suitable to drink you should not expect food cooked with it to be any different!:-)
Not mention she cook with wine that $40-50 a bottle if she bought the same wine of a current vintage today. Do you look at the wines she is serving? Grand Cru's did not cost like they do today.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:06 AM 01-05-2011
I'd braise it. Sear it in a hot cast iron pan, then cook it in crock pot with the tomato sauce w/ garlic, onions, bell pepper or Anaheim peppers, peppercorns, cumin and oregano. Then shred it, add a can of tomato paste, coriander, more onions, carrots, peas, sliced green olives, sliced jalapeņos, maybe a few other ingredients, whatever is handy and sounds like it might go well in the dish. If I needed to add liquid, I'd use low-salt beef or chicken stock. Let it cook for a few more hours, until the vegetables are softened. Serve with spanish or mexican rice, warm corn tortillas, salsa and guacamole.
This sounds like a winner, over some cellophane noodles. Don't forget the Sriracha.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:21 AM 01-05-2011
If you do, I would recommend using a beer that does not have a strong hops presence (IPAs, etc) as in a long cook the hops can make the dish taste grassy. Dark malty beers work well in long low cooks.:-)
Belgian ales do well with beef in the crockpot. If you don't want to go the more $$ route, Blue Moon is a good choice.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up