Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 46 of 138
« First < 36444546 47485696 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Ray 05:34 AM 09-13-2010
I like my Amanda Cigars. I find it hard to get a constant supply. I live in Tasmania, Australia. Can I import my own, or who do i contact to get a good supply.
[Reply]
kydsid 06:44 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by Ray:
I like my Amanda Cigars. I find it hard to get a constant supply. I live in Tasmania, Australia. Can I import my own, or who do i contact to get a good supply.
I have no idea where to get your cigars but you shouldn't have any problem having them shipped to you. The biggest hurdle you will have will be tax and exise pricing on imported tobacco and allotment size for personal vs. commercial use. You will need to check with Australian Customs for answers as to personal use size and possible exemptions and/or tax requirements.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 07:56 PM 09-16-2010
Beginner Question here.

I started a Cigar the other day and smoked for about 30 min or so before something came up and I needed to leave the house with my wife. I returned within the hour. I took the cigar, which was only about half smoked, and cut the ash off. I decided to go ahead and put the remaining cigar in the humidor to be finished for another day.

So, my question is... what are the implications of finishing a cigar on another day?

[Reply]
bobarian 08:01 PM 09-16-2010
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Please dont ever do this again. You may ruin every cigar in your humidor! If its still there take it out immediately! The stale taste will permeate every cigar in there.

Sometimes you can try relighting a cigar within a few hours. But after that all you will get is a bad stale tobacco taste in your mouth. If you decide to relight purge(blow through) the cigar through a flame to reduce the tars and unburnt charcoal.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:09 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:

Please dont ever do this again. You may ruin every cigar in your humidor! If its still there take it out immediately! The stale taste will permeate every cigar in there.

Sometimes you can try relighting a cigar within a few hours. But after that all you will get is a bad stale tobacco taste in your mouth. If you decide to relight purge(blow through) the cigar through a flame to reduce the tars and unburnt charcoal.
Bob knows stuff....get that cigar outta there!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:52 PM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Haha, I can picture your robotic arms flailing around wildly. Ok, I get the picture. Consider cigar removed. :-)
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:56 PM 09-16-2010
Oh! One more question.

I have an Oliva Serie G that I am trying to smoke. It seems to be what I assume you would consider to be plugged. The draw is very tight. I am definitely struggling with it.

In the future, I think I will check the draw before lighting. However, even if the cigar was plugged, I am not really sure I would feel comfortable returning the cigar to my B&M. So, is there anything I can do to fix this on my own? If the "Plug" is somewhere in the middle of the cigar, I figure there is nothing I can do. However, I was thinking this particular cigar was plugged right at the cap.

Thanks!
[Reply]
Chingas 09:11 PM 09-16-2010
I'll jump in Drew but i'm sure someone else will too.

I use a draw poker and massage. If you've already lit the smoke, then a draw poker works well. Just shove the poker thru the center of the stick and pull it out.

By massage, i mean, I roll the cigar between my fingers to loosen up and shift the tobacco inside. That helps as well.

If the cigar is not lit, meaning you cut it and checked draw and found it to be plugged, just throw it back in the humi. Time and patience just might be favorable to that smoke the next time you reach in to smoke it!

Hope that helps Brother!
[Reply]
N2Advnture 04:29 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
Oh! One more question.

I have an Oliva Serie G that I am trying to smoke. It seems to be what I assume you would consider to be plugged. The draw is very tight. I am definitely struggling with it.

In the future, I think I will check the draw before lighting. However, even if the cigar was plugged, I am not really sure I would feel comfortable returning the cigar to my B&M. So, is there anything I can do to fix this on my own? If the "Plug" is somewhere in the middle of the cigar, I figure there is nothing I can do. However, I was thinking this particular cigar was plugged right at the cap.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Chingas:
I'll jump in Drew but i'm sure someone else will too.

I use a draw poker and massage. If you've already lit the smoke, then a draw poker works well. Just shove the poker thru the center of the stick and pull it out.

By massage, i mean, I roll the cigar between my fingers to loosen up and shift the tobacco inside. That helps as well.

If the cigar is not lit, meaning you cut it and checked draw and found it to be plugged, just throw it back in the humi. Time and patience just might be favorable to that smoke the next time you reach in to smoke it!

Hope that helps Brother!
Good advice :-) That's exactly what I do with great success.

My only other question would be, what RH level are you currently storing your cigars in?

I have found that storing between 60-65% RH greatly improves draw & burn problems that aren't directly attributed to a poor roll.

I hope this helps.

~Mark
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:13 AM 09-17-2010
My RH is hanging around %65 and my other cigars seem to be smoking fine. In fact, my last Oliva Serie G smoked quite well. So, I think the problem is directly related to the roll of the cigar in this case. Oh well. I figure this can happen from time to time with any cigar.

Thanks for the advise!
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 10:48 AM 10-03-2010
Bumping this thread... :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 09:47 AM 10-12-2010
What is the theory behind it being no big deal to take numerous cigars in a travel humidor for 4-5 days without humidification and being good as gold, but having to rest a sealed box shipped from a reputable shop?

Wouldn’t it be, in theory, the exact same thing?
[Reply]
N2Advnture 09:53 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:
What is the theory behind it being no big deal to take numerous cigars in a travel humidor for 4-5 days without humidification and being good as gold, but having to rest a sealed box shipped from a reputable shop?

They are two different scenarios really.

"Properly" (ie: the way you like them) stored cigars typically retain (or close to retain) their RH for a few days if kept in a sealed travel humidor (I've found it to be around 3-4 days).

The reason for resting a box after receiving them is to give them time to acclimate to your preferred RH (this takes approx. 3-4 weeks on avg).

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
Chris. 11:22 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by E.J.:

Lots of temperature fluctuations during shipping as well.

I keep a water pillow in my travel humi and it's been rock steady at 68% over the last 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 03:04 PM 10-18-2010
Quick question. I picked up a couple cigars from a B&M today (usually buy online). I went to smoke one about an hour after I got home, a JdN Antano 1970, and the band was loose. I was able to spin it in place as well as slide it up and down the cigar. I didn't think that was right, so I put it back and grabbed an Oliva V that I bought at the same time. The band was just as loose on the Oliva. So at this point I decided to leave all the new cigars alone and grabbed one out of the cigar caddy I brought with me.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a loose band means the cigars humidity is too high. Is this right?
[Reply]
Bill86 03:18 PM 10-18-2010
The cigars were probably wet. The B&M's keep their cigars at 70%-72% most of the time. At least mine do. I'll leave them in my humidor for 3 weeks or so then smoke them, much better.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:26 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a loose band means the cigars humidity is too high. Is this right?
Nope, the humidity is possibly too low. Too much humidity will make the cigar swell, therefore making the band tight. Not enough and the cigar will shrink, making the band loose. Although, when the band starts to do what you describe, that's when I know they are perfect for smoking.
[Reply]
gijoey959 03:30 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis:
Quick question. I picked up a couple cigars from a B&M today (usually buy online). I went to smoke one about an hour after I got home, a JdN Antano 1970, and the band was loose. I was able to spin it in place as well as slide it up and down the cigar. I didn't think that was right, so I put it back and grabbed an Oliva V that I bought at the same time. The band was just as loose on the Oliva. So at this point I decided to leave all the new cigars alone and grabbed one out of the cigar caddy I brought with me.

I like to throw any thing I smoke into a dry box for an hour or so, it makes the burn and smoke amount better, but I keep my humidor at 60-65%, my B&M keep theirs at 70%

this is personal preference, and my climate is a bit more humid than some, but if I get one fresh from the B&M, unless I smoke it there, its going in a dry box unless I've let it rest for 2 weeks

I would also like to say that the bands moving is perfectly normal, I take my band off before I go smoke it so I don't loose it
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 03:34 PM 10-18-2010
Gotcha. Thanks for the help.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 03:44 PM 10-18-2010
I smoked two JdN's this weekend, both of their bands were pretty loose. I keep my humidor at 65% and had kept them in there for a few weeks. Might just be the way they band their cigars? I've only had two so I don't have much experience with those cigars.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 138
« First < 36444546 47485696 > Last »
Up