Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor in Hawaii
oooo35980 06:42 PM 03-20-2011
So I got done seasoning my humidor, calibrating my hygrometer (salt test), and put the humidifier in per directions that came with the humidor. 24 hours later I opened it up and it was at 85rh... So I removed the humidifier and left the humidor open, a few hours later it was sitting between 65-70rh, perfect. Come to think of it when I first bought the thing the hygrometer read 65rh sitting on the kitchen counter. Apparently my house is nearly perfect for cigars. Should I even bother with beads or anything or will the humidor take care of itself once I let it dry out a bit?
[Reply]
bazookajoe 06:57 PM 03-20-2011
It'll even out eventually depending on whether the RH is always around 65% there. If it routinely goes above that I would get beads to keep the RH at 65% inside the humidor.
[Reply]
markem 07:06 PM 03-20-2011
Beads perform two functions: humidity absorption and humidity release. In Hawaii, the humidity can go up and down quite far in short periods. This can cause the cigars to expand and contract rapidly and lead to cracking. Even if, on average, the humidity is near perfect, the buffering effect of the beads will probably be desirable.
[Reply]
Up